Career help in the South Florida area

Hey Everyone! My wife has a great opportunity to work at the National Hurricane Center in Miami and I really want to make this possible for her, but I have a great job in Maryland. I would leave in a heartbeat, but I can't seem to find anything in the area. Currently, I work in defense as a Satellite Engineer, but I am willing to deviate careers if the new job is technical and engineering based. Do any of you know anyone who knows a guy who knows a guy's dog whose master knows some contacts in Florida for me. :rolleyes:

Any help would be appreciated.

You can PM me or call me for more info.

Thanks,
Jay 919-539-2131

The job market in S. Florida is a tough one. I know of more people being laid off than getting new jobs, and thoe who are currently unemployed have been so for 2+ years.

Have you considered working as an engineer for an electrical utility? Pretty stable job market. Depending where you go and what position it is, pay isn't too bad.

Dave

Can you do your job remotely?

Either that or take the air taxi a few times a week...

Most my professional pals in Florida aren't happy campers, tough economy there

thinking you should keep your high paying job up north and send your wife, extra money, and mistress down. We'll make sure that they're taken care of. It's what friends are for.

Maybe you could be a technician or engineer of some sort for the same company she is working for.

A Hurricane Center is bound to need a engineer of some sort.

The space industry is going through a serious downturn with the retirement of the Space Shuttle and the Aerospace segment is also experiencing a downturn due to defense budget cuts. Those were the two most lucrative industries in Florida that I was aware of.

Having said that you could look into Northrop Grumman. They have facilities in Melborne.
http://careers.northropgrumman.com/

thinking you should keep your high paying job up north and send your wife, extra money, and mistress down. We'll make sure that they're taken care of. It's what friends are for.

Hah!

The space industry is going through a serious downturn with the retirement of the Space Shuttle and the Aerospace segment is also experiencing a downturn due to defense budget cuts. Those were the two most lucrative industries in Florida that I was aware of.

Having said that you could look into Northrop Grumman. They have facilities in Melborne.
http://careers.northropgrumman.com/

That is who I am with now, but there isn't much open. I am definately trying to work that angle first with some possibilities, but thought I would look around as well.

Glad you have a sense of humor. It'll get you far in the world of engineering. Perhaps you could start a comic strip... ala Dilbert.

I am not sure how far you are willing to travel. We, Siemens (Fossil Energy) have offices in Orlando (American headquarters) and Jupiter (remote office, pretty small).

Hah!

That is who I am with now, but there isn't much open. I am definately trying to work that angle first with some possibilities, but thought I would look around as well.

Wow, thats cool. A fellow NGC employee. :)

I'm glad the cancellation of the DWSS program did not affect you. Space Park has been laying off quite a lot of folks.

Are you on LinkedIn? I have been getting a ton of job offers on that site.

Good Luck!

Glad you have a sense of humor. It'll get you far in the world of engineering. Perhaps you could start a comic strip... ala Dilbert.

Of course! I look at it as a compliment to my wife and my car. If I can find a way down there, I'm sure we would get along fine.

Wow, thats cool. A fellow NGC employee. :)

I'm glad the cancellation of the DWSS program did not affect you. Space Park has been laying off quite a lot of folks.

Are you on LinkedIn? I have been getting a ton of job offers on that site.

Good Luck!

Are you IS? The cancellation of DWSS probably helped me because I am DMSP and we are the only game in town (so to speak).

I am on LinkedIn, PM me your info and I'll add you. I need to update that stuff anyway.

PM Sent.

Actually I work for Aerospace Systems on Global Hawk.

Back