Caravan to NSXPO 2004 from Chicago / N. Indiana / N. Ohio

This post contains a suggestion for a meeting place and time for those driving to NSXPO 2004 from the Chicago area.

I will be traveling to NSXPO 2004 earlier in the week, so I will not be in the caravan. If someone is planning to be in the caravan, and has a cell phone that can be used by those trying to meet with the group, please let me know, and I will pass the cell number along to others planning to be in the caravan. This would be helpful to anyone who gets delayed or lost. Also, I believe there are some folks coming from Michigan who plan to join with the group en route, and this will help them so that they can wait at an appropriate place and time to join the caravan along the way.

If folks don't like these plans and want a different place and time to meet, by all means feel free to do so. All I ask is that you keep the others informed so that no one shows up at the meeting point expecting a crowd, only to be disappointed.

The time and place selected here assumes that those in the caravan wish to do this drive in one day, on Thursday, October 7, and to arrive at the headquarters hotel at a reasonable hour that evening (between 9 and 11 pm). The drive is approximately 630 miles. Travel time depends largely on the time spent during stops. If you stop as infrequently as needed - say, 2-3 stops of 20 minutes each - it can take as little as ten hours, moving with the faster traffic on the road without passing everyone in sight. Longer stops will result in a later arrival time, of course.

Meeting Place:
The Original Pancake House
1430 North Ironwood Drive
South Bend, Indiana 46635
219-232-3220

This is approximately 100 miles from Chicago, and is along the route for those coming from all parts of the Chicago area. Those who attended this year's NSX Club Spring Fling enjoyed eating breakfast here, including their apple pancake:

php_apple2.jpg

Meeting Time:
9:00 a.m. local time (same as Chicago time) for those wishing to sit and have breakfast before departing, 10:00 a.m. departure time. I realize that this may mean going through Chicago during the morning rush, but the alternatives are to leave really early or to arrive at NSXPO very late in the evening. No time is perfect in all regards.

Directions to the meeting point:

1. From the Chicago area, take either the Chicago Skyway (I-90) or the Tri-State and Borman Expressways (I-294/I-80) to the Indiana Toll Road (I-80/I-90) eastbound.

2. Take exit 77, the US-31-BR/IN-933 exit, and turn RIGHT onto US-31 BR/IN-933 southbound.

3. Take the left turn onto Douglas Road eastbound.

4. Go 1.7 miles to Ironwood Drive and turn right onto Ironwood southbound.

5. Go 0.3 miles and the restaurant is on the left.

Directions from the meeting point to NSXPO 2004:

6. Turn right out of the restaurant parking lot onto Ironwood Drive northbound.

7. Go 0.3 miles to IN-23 (South Bend Avenue) and turn right onto IN-23 northeastbound.

8. Go 4.4 miles on IN-23 to IN-331 / Capital Avenue southbound.

9. On the left, you will see the entrance to the Indiana Toll Road (I-80/I-90) and take it eastbound ("Ohio").

10. Go 225 miles on I-80 (Indiana Toll Road and Ohio Turnpike) to Exit 151.

11. Take I-480 eastbound 10 miles to I-71 northbound.

12. Take I-71 northbound 10 miles to I-90 eastbound.

13. Take I-90 eastbound 110 miles to Exit 37 for I-86 eastbound ("Jamestown").

14. Go 175 miles on I-86 eastbound which becomes NY-17 eastbound.

Directions from NY-17 to the hotel can be found in the event packet.

Back