Car will not start / dies when running

Very irritating problem the past 2 weeks...

Last Friday (the 14th), my car went dead (not in an instant, but the tach went from 1,000 RPMs in idle neutral while coasting to a stop to 0 RPMs in about 1.5 seconds). I tried starting it again right away, and no dice. After waiting a minute, I tried again, check engine went off, and car fired up. She died again a few minutes later while I was sitting at a stop light in neutral. Got her home, and parked it. Let it sit for a few hours, and could not start it at all. She cranks fine, but does not turn over. No smell at all of fuel either. Had the car towed to my local mechanic. He diagnosed the problem as being a faulty ECU. After reading through the flow charts in the 1991 service manual (my car is a 1991 with 48K miled on it) each step we came to said "replace ECU with a known working ECU". So, I bought a used one from an Acura dealer and put it in the car. She started fine, and we let it idle for 10 minutes and checked all the electronics on the car. Turned it off and came back to the shop 3 hours later to pick up the car, started fine and drove it for about 50 yards before she died again, the same way as before. After yelling a plethora of f---'s, we pushed it back in the shop. I started it one more time then, drove around the parking lot, and as I came to a stop in neutral, she died again. This was this past Friday (the 21st), and as of this morning (Monday the 24th) it will not start.

IDEAS PLEASE? I miss driving my baby!

email - "[email protected]"

Thank you.

SJH,

Can you get a code(s) from the ECU? After this episode did you try to extract them??

This can be many things, you must narrow it down.

What has led up to this event. Any other work performed lately?

If you can't get any codes I would give the car a complete review of all the electrical connections from ecu to engine.

Is the fuel pressure correct? Did this start after a recent fill up??

HTH,
LarryB

SJH,

I recently had the EXACT same problem after having Comptech upgrades put on my car including an ESM. After getting towed twice (and literally almost killed) we finally figured out it was a loose wire connecting to the ECU. Recheck ALL the connections. I'll bet you a six pack that's the problem. FYI, I DO know how you feel.

Good Luck

When I had this problem, it wasn't the ECU, but a small black box near it called the Fuel something that control the fuel delivery. It's a small box between the seats on the firewall. I'm sure your mechanic will know the name of the box. It's worth a shot if they have an extra one laying around, only a few minutes to swap. Solved my problem. The car would even die at 3k RPMS for no reason.

Originally posted by ilya:
When I had this problem, it wasn't the ECU, but a small black box near it called the Fuel something that control the fuel delivery. It's a small box between the seats on the firewall. I'm sure your mechanic will know the name of the box.

Pages 23-10 through 23-14 of the 1991 service manual show the location of all the various relays and control units. There are over fifty of them!
eek.gif
If you have a fast bandwidth connection, you can look at the service manual by clicking here.

Page 23-13 shows that on the rear bulkhead, the fuel pump relay is next to the interlock control unit. That sounds like what you're talking about.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Pages 23-10 through 23-14 of the 1991 service manual show the location of all the various relays and control units. There are over fifty of them!
eek.gif
If you have a fast bandwidth connection, you can look at the service manual by clicking here.

Page 23-13 shows that on the rear bulkhead, the fuel pump relay is next to the interlock control unit. That sounds like what you're talking about.

Thank you for the suggestions...but one worry I have is this...Right now, for example, the car started this morning. It ran for about a half hour, then died. I waited a few minutes, and tried starting it again. Started fine, and ran for about a half hour again, and then I shut it off cause I had to leave for work. How can I properly diagnose the problem to be that fuel relay switch if it runs sometimes, and sometimes does not? I am worried of replacing it and getting stuck on the side of the road somewhere again. Ideas?

Take it to a mechanic that has a lot of NSX experience. Note that if it's a dealer mechanic who doesn't know the answer, he (she) can call Acura's techline for help.

did you speak to doug at z fever because he asked me if i had an ecu for a 91' the other day?

i would strongly recomend you take it to crown acura over here in pinellas county mike persy is very good and i'm sure he'll find the problem that is frustrating you.
stuart

p.s. from what i've heared ferman don't know an nsx from an integra

[This message has been edited by smoore (edited 25 June 2002).]

SMoore: I agree 100% about Ferman. I have been to Crown before, and have been very happy. Funny you mention Doug/Z Fever, since you are correct. I have been taking my car to him for the last year. He does wonderful work, and from my experience, is, shall we say, more "conservative" with his repair suggestions than Crown has been at times, saving me some hard earned $$. We are going to try replacing the Fuel Pump Relay today...hopefully that will do the trick.

Question - Is everybody referring to the FUEL PUMP relay located behind the drivers seat or the MAIN RELAY located next to the ECU which also is connected to the fuel supply system? Or BOTH???

Thank you.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Yesterday, I replaced the MAIN RELAY, the small black box to the right of the ECU unit. Tha car has been running fine ever since. Drove it for about 2 hours yesterday, and no problems. Happy to have it back!

All best, Scott.

Back