Car show etiquette

So I go to a "new" (to me) car show a couple of miles away.

Some nitwit decided to tap on the fender and I tell him,"Please don't do that".

He gets funky and says,"It wasn't that hard".

I guess I am going to have to start using the "DO NOT TOUCH" signs again.

At most of shows I go to, even the kids don't touch the cars.

Last edited:
It seems that there are always a few of those at every show I've been to. If they are willing to do that with me standing there I don't want to chance what may happen when I step away for a few minutes. I've resorted to a "please do not touch" sign in the front window.

you need a trunk monkey...........

What are your thoughts on people revving their engines? Event organizers usually shun it but mostly people get excited.

I make it a rule to never say anything negative about people's cars. Even if something is tastelessly ruined, I kinda just say "Oh that's interesting."

Also I hate it when people ask how much the car was bought for. For parts/services I usually ask "was this expensive" and let the owner decide whether to tell how much they paid. There is a polite way to do it, especially if you are considering getting a similar part/service for your own car.

As to touching the car, I would never do that without the owner's permission. Then again, not everyone has that same mentality!

My son was well-trained from age 3: "NO TOUCHIES" unless the owner says it's OK. It's too bad some adults don't do as well as my 12-year-old at C&Cs.

thats because they didn't have a dad like you.:wink:

I am beginning to see why some guys have a chair and camp out next to their car.

I kinda wondered why one guy had a baseball bat under his chair............

Back