Car and Driver article-food for thought

I usualy tune Bedard out because his articles are so... Bedard(predictable),but in this months issue he explores a topic which is quite alarming.He explains that with the tight margins in the salvage/recondition biz there is the prevalent practice of not replacing the expensive air bag mechanism but just replacing the cover!Each module can cost~ 1000$.I wonder how many salvage nsx's are running around with empty steering-wheels and dash boards?My take home message is -If I own a salvage nsx or any car known to have been in an accident strong enough to deploy the bags,check them.

I do not think it is possible to replace the cover only. I have not read the article but I would bet they were talking about the crash sensor and the clock spring, not the bag itself. The crash sensor is often gold plated and very expensive. It is not a required replacement after a crash but it is optional. I always replaced these parts but a lot of rebuilders don't.
To save a lot of cash the entire air bag system can be replaced with a trash bag and one of those screaming baboons to quickly fill it in the event of a crash.

Back