Canadian Car Value in US

my first post! I put a deposit down on a 92, carfax came back clean, I am flying up today to look at the car. It was inspected at the Acura dealer yesterday, and guess what...no history. I called Acura of N Am, and they said it was probably a Canadian car, and the Dealers are not supposed to work on them, hence no service history at any dealer. The car does have service history, check up, 90 k service etc, the Acura dealer said he discounts 6-10% for Canadian cars...It has been smogged in Oregon, but I live in Ca and wonder if it will pass here...is it worth buying? If so how much of a discount for a grey market car? Or should I look elsewhere...?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks...

They are telling you a load of crap, any Acura dealer in NA can work on any Acura product. As far as service records go, they are kept by the servicing dealer and not in a cental database, therefore you"ll have the track down the serving dealer(s) for service records.

To tell if is a Canadian NSX, the last digits of the VIN should T8xxxxx.

As far as pricing goes, I can't give you any advise. I just know that NSXs in Canada are much more expensive that in the US.

Bram

Bram

if the mechanicals checked out fine.. get the best discount you can and TAKE IT HOME.

To get it smog in california. You need to smog it at a referee smog station. Also a letter from Acura NA that the car With Vin # xxxxxxxxxx is equipped with all the US / California required emission equipment.

at the smog appointment if the car test clean then you will get a california emmission testing decal on the door jam.

I smogged an canadian RX7 turbo II 10AE in california.. it worked out fine.

i had a type-r from canada and the value stayed the same maybe even more because i had a special color and interior. about the smog i heard that canada was stricter than the U.S. not sure about how it compares to CA though. With the maintance my type-r went to acura and they just put it in the data base w/o any problems.

Canada has stricter smog standards than the US including Cali, it also has different safety standards. The bumpers and seat belts need to be stronger, you need a safety clip for a child's seat, and daytime driving lights.

Canadian cars are NOT Grey market cars, that term is used for overseas cars, not cars made for North America.........and yes Canada IS in North America. :tongue:

Keep in mind that the car might have been serviced in Canada, so there might be some record there. I take my car to the dealer in the US because they have better techs, and they are closer to me than the Canadian Acura dealer is.

Like Bram said, look at the vin number it should read something like this.....
JH4NA1151MT001234 Made for the US
JH4NA1157MT801234 Made for Canada

Back