Can you tell if a timing belt/water pump has been changed?

Without taking the word of the seller and without the documentation, how can you tell if the timing belt and water pump has been changed? I have been told that the new water pump covers are different than the old ones. Anything that I can see that will differentiate a new vs. an old one?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that there is any way to tell since they are positioned inside of the engine compartment. In addition, I was informed that after driving for a week (after you get your timing belt and water pump replaced), the appearance of timing belt and water pump will not allow you to tell if they are new.

I have read in the FAQ section of this website under maintenance that the new pumps don't have the weep hole that the old ones do and therefore are different from old pumps which aren't made anymore. Anybody know anything about this?

If the car has the newer water pump and lower timing belt cover, it is almost certain the timing belt was replaced sometime since 1997.

You will probably not be able to determine this yourself, but an NSX knowledgeable mechanic should be able to determine it for you.

Other than that, there is no real way to tell by inspecting the car.

The old vs. new cover & pump is easily identified at a glance. However, it is possible to modify the old cover to accept the new pump by simply drilling a whole and inserting a grommet, but the key here is new pump or old.

On the old style the pump weep tube comes out through the cover right next to the large round bulge for the water pump pulley. When looking at the front of the cover, if the round bulge were a clock then the weep tube would be at about 8 O-clock and almost toughing the bulge. The tube of the new pump comes out almost straight down from the old one but about 2 ½ inches lower. As another reference, the new one is about three inches to the left of the tensioner bolt and slightly lower.

As noted already, if you have the new pump then it is likely that the belt was done at the same time. If you have the old pump then it is still possible that the belt was done, but I wouldn't bet on it. Either way, you need to estimate miles/years on the current belt conservatively just to be safe.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 24 November 2002).]

How about the clutch? Any way to see if the original clutch has been replaced with a regular Acura one?

Originally posted by tewills:
How about the clutch? Any way to see if the original clutch has been replaced with a regular Acura one?

Again, just like with the timing belt, you're going to be doing almost the same labor to open up the transmission to check the clutch as you would to replace it. So, while you could inspect the inside of the clutch to see how much friction surface remains, it doesn't make sense to do all that labor just to do so. Given the variability of clutch life in the NSX - anywhere from 35K miles to 90K miles - your best bet is to just drive on it. When the clutch starts to slip in normal shifting, it's probably time to replace it.

nsxtasy,
you are a wealth of information.
smile.gif

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Back