Can you believe this? Supra worth more than NSX?

Anyone can ask as much as they want for any car, as long as they pay the amount to place the ad.

If I place an ad for my '91 NSX with an asking price of $250,000 does that mean it's worth more than a new Z06 C6?

Last edited:
Thats pretty common for sales in general. They can always come down from that price and for sucker who just wants to feel they got a deal they can whack $10k of the top.

What a joke...:rolleyes:

DOH! I bought a car for my parents at that dealership!

Actually, I did a search for the Supra on Auto Trader between year 1993 to 2000 with my zip code. It turns out 75% of the listings are asking for $40k plus. The link that I posted from Sunnyvale Toyota is only two of the listings.

Actually, I did a search for the Supra on Auto Trader between year 1993 to 2000 with my zip code.
The last model year for the Supra was 1998, so I doubt you turned up anything for 1999-2000. :smile:

It turns out 75% of the listings are asking for $40k plus.
Sounds like that number is based on just a few cars, which means they can easily be skewed. Let's look at nationwide listings, which give a more accurate picture. Searching nationwide, right now here are the listings on Autotrader:

1997-1998
6 NSXs, average price $45,375
37 Supras, average price $39,340

1995-1996
8 NSXs, average price $36,800
38 Supras, average price $28,793

1991-1994
63 NSXs, average price $31,814
88 Supras, average price $27,523

It's also worth noting that a much higher percentage of Supras than NSXs have had extensive modification work done to them, thereby increasing their value.

well if someone actually pays out $40k+ for the supra... then that is kind of what its worth for that point of sale right? willingness to pay isnt very uniform for things like sports cars imho, i guess if we were talking table salt maybe..
=p

Anyone can ask as much as they want for any car, as long as they pay the amount to place the ad.

If I place an ad for my '91 NSX with an asking price of $250,000 does that mean it's worth more than a new Z06 C6?

I'll give you $249,999.99 and not a penny more!

The last model year for the Supra was 1998, so I doubt you turned up anything for 1999-2000. :smile:

Sounds like that number is based on just a few cars, which means they can easily be skewed. Let's look at nationwide listings, which give a more accurate picture. Searching nationwide, right now here are the listings on Autotrader:

1997-1998

1995-1996

1991-1994

It's also worth noting that a much higher percentage of Supras than NSXs have had extensive modification work done to them, thereby increasing their value.

Did you average just the turbo supras? If you excluded the non-turbo supras, I'd bet the pricing would be higher than that.

Did you average just the turbo supras? If you excluded the non-turbo supras, I'd bet the pricing would be higher than that.

Even if the non-turbo Supras are included, like he said, MANY of the Supras listed on Autotrader have extensive modifications. You see a LOT more stock NSXs on Autotrader than Supras.

Even if the non-turbo Supras are included, like he said, MANY of the Supras listed on Autotrader have extensive modifications. You see a LOT more stock NSXs on Autotrader than Supras.

I understand what you are saying. It is extremely difficult to find a completely stock MKIV supra turbo and the stock ones typically sell for more than the BPU models. The mods don't really add money to the car unless it is extensive. We're talking APU+ supras. If you don't understand the BPU/APU terms just go look them up on supraforums. I have owned 4 supra turbos in the past so I have spent some time over there.

They r asking for that much doesn't mean someone will pay for it. Call them up and low ball it, see how much u can save. :biggrin:

exactly.

and not only that, if you try to find a CLEAN, STOCK 98 supra TT with LOW miles.... (if they still exist) they sell for MORE than they did out of the showroom 10 years ago..... saw one on ebay a while ago with people bidding past 50.

take a look sometime. it's just a higher demand car than the nsx. (and i bet it's not so much because of "that movie" as it is 15,000 bucks more than stock form for 1000hp.)

exactly.

and not only that, if you try to find a CLEAN, STOCK 98 supra TT with LOW miles.... (if they still exist) they sell for MORE than they did out of the showroom 10 years ago..... saw one on ebay a while ago with people bidding past 50.

take a look sometime. it's just a higher demand car than the nsx. (and i bet it's not so much because of "that movie" as it is 15,000 bucks more than stock form for 1000hp.)

Wasn't the MSRP around $69,000 for a 98 TT MKIV? $50K + is still much less than MSRP. However the fact that a stock 98 can still command $50K+ is astonishing. That would be like a clean 98 NSX selling for ~$60,000. So, in effect, the 98 Supra is worth slightly more than a 98 NSX. A museum piece 98 NSX would be worth no more than $50-55,000 according to the FAQ pricing chart. Amazing considering the NSX sold for at least $10K more in 1998.

The MKIV TT Supra holds its value incredibly well. One of the best residual values of all time.

Wasn't the MSRP around $69,000 for a 98 TT MKIV? $50K + is still much less than MSRP. However the fact that a stock 98 can still command $50K+ is astonishing. That would be like a clean 98 NSX selling for ~$60,000. So, in effect, the 98 Supra is worth slightly more than a 98 NSX. A museum piece 98 NSX would be worth no more than $50-55,000 according to the FAQ pricing chart. Amazing considering the NSX sold for at least $10K more in 1998.

The MKIV TT Supra holds its value incredibly well. One of the best residual values of all time.

'97-'98 MKIV Supra TT MSRP was $39.9k, dropped $10k from an MSRP of $49.9k in 1996. Yeah, '96 Supra owners weren't too happy about that.

'97-'98 MKIV Supra TT MSRP was $39.9k, dropped $10k from an MSRP of $49.9k in 1996. Yeah, '96 Supra owners weren't too happy about that.

So it was. The automatic TT was $43,500. :wink:

So it seems there's no doubt the MKIV has appreciated in value or at least not depreciated. Astounding.

You want to see crazy? Check out the classifieds on supraforums. They have some Supra's on there asking $80k+.

Wonderful car but not worth the money for me regardless of whether or not it has 1200rwhp.

Jonny

The particular dealer in the ad is local to me, and I've seen both of those Supras in person about a year and a half ago. They've been sitting there the whole time. The white one is just in average condition, while the red one is not bad. Both are very overpriced for the year/condition/mileage, compared to other Supras on the market.

The salesman told me that the story behind these cars is that they are personally owned by the owner of the dealership, and he doesn't really want to sell them, hence the high asking prices. A few years back, the owner of the dealership went on a kick buying up Supras and FJ40 Land Cruisers, then restoring them. There's also 1-2 restored FJ40s at the dealership on display. The white Supra was bought sight unseen off of eBay, then fully restored back to stock at the dealership with all OEM parts.

1997-1998

1995-1996

1991-1994

The MKIV Supra debuted as a 1993.5 model. A more accurate comparison would be for 1993-1994 models, instead of 1991-1994. Regardless, the results will likely be similar to other model years.

You have to consider that the turbocharged Supras are the ones holding their value. The NA Supras, while have demonstrated good resale value, sell for much less than a comparable turbo model.

In any case, whether or not Supras are selling for more than the NSX, they are definitely selling at a higher percentage of their original sale price than the NSX. I'm sure this is something that we can all agree on.

Back