can a kind san diego member help me out?

hey folks,

i am an ex-owner of a 91, who has been looking for a 97+ for the last couple of months. a particularly interesting example has come up for sale in san diego, and i was hoping one of you kind folks could help me out by checking the car out... giving it a once over. i am more than happy to compensate you for your kindness.

please send me a PM if you can help.

thanks,
vivek

turns out the seller is outside of san diego... in carlsbad (by palomar airport). if you are close to that area and can help... please let me know :)

thanks,
vivek

If it's the white/camel '98 in Carlsbad advertised on Craigslist, then I've already checked out that car.

*Edit - I guess he took my advise and posted it here too. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126599

Cosmetically:

Good: Exterior paint overall is in great shape. The body looks clean with no dents or evidence of any bodywork. Leather on seats is in great shape, no real bolster wear. Other interior components are in nice shape as well. Factory wheels are in great shape as well. Taking a quick glance at the car exterior and interior and it looks really nice.

Bad: A tad bit dirty on the inside, said it had not been detailed yet. Engine compartment was really dusty, it has sat for awhile. Slight bumper scrape marks on the passenger side front bumper, with slight lip damage in the same spot. Touch-up on a small spot on the middle-front of the rear spoiler that looks like a poorly done touch-up job, will need sanding and respraying on that spot.

Mechanics:

Good: Car drives great. Acceleration and handling are what I would expect (I own a '95 T already). No real noise issues. Clutch still feels solid and engaging gears was not a problem.

Bad: Check engine light was on. Owner said it's O2 sensor problem and he has a replacement not installed yet. The rotors felt warped when braking. Possibly original pads still on as well. Owner had basically zero maintenance records other than oil changes and thinks the clutch is original as well as timing belt which worried me on a 98k mile car. So expect the clutch replacement, timing belt, cam seals, WP, brake job, all fluids, etc. Trunk struts are wore out and cannot sustain the weight of the trunk lid any longer.

Possibly as much as 6-10k in maintenance right out the gate, though the clutch seemed ok still and wouldn't be an instant hit to the wallet.

For the price he's selling it for ($29k), even factoring the maintenance costs, it's still not a bad deal at all for a '98. I would have to have my '95 sold before I would be able to swing it, and since I wouldn't be lumping those maintenance costs into my car loan, it didn't seem like a good financial fit for me at this time, though the rare color combo and price seemed tempting, even factoring in the needed maintenance. Everything is stock.

The guy seemed on the verge of keeping it, as it was something given to him to sweeten the deal on some property he sold to the NSX's original owner. The original owner was the owner of a chain of hotels and would use the NSX of all his cars as his daily driver with most of the miles being highway. He's old and retired now and can't really drive the car anymore. The new owner has kids, motorcycles, etc and the 2 seater isn't practical, but as he's done more research on the car he got, he's realizing just how special the car he has really is. I showed him some things he didn't know like the telescoping steering wheel, and the trick of walking around the car with the targa to avoid spinning it in your hands.

I called him a couple days ago after considering the vehicle to let him know I couldn't really swing it financially even though I thought it was priced fairly for its condition.

Last edited:
fantastic information! this is just what i needed. thanks :)

v

I was talking to this guy too. This helps out a lot since I live in Las Vegas. Interesting pieces of info to note. I have to wonder why someone doesn't do the maintenance on the car?

Back