camera / photo ticket

I want to get you collective experience and advice on how to fight off a red light camera ticket.

I've done some research, and there seems to be alot of information on line, but no good arguments that can used against the ticket.

The photo that came in was quite blurry, and I am wondering if one takes the 'it wasn't me defenese' all the way through to trial (assuming you go through written declaration process first), what good 'evidence' or argument can you present without implicating others.

Just for kicks and your information, red light photo ticket in Costa Mesa now cost $436 in fine, or $518 with traffic school. Seems like highway robbery to me.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

$436 in fine, or $518 with traffic school. Seems like highway robbery to me.

OMG !

I know they claim to bring in MADD revenue but I wonder if anyone has done a study on how many accidents they cause. I go through one everyday and have to constantly be on guard for the panic stop or someone expecting to follow on my tail. Just the other day I saw a guy make an illegal left turn. Because the oncoming car had to slow down, he got the strobe in the intersection.

Good Luck on this one.....

A lot of info here but first hand experience would be helpful. As this states, it's not required you implicate anyone else to establish "It Wasn't Me".

Last edited:
I looked at that site and was fighting a tix based on the legality of the contract btwn the city and camera vendor which according to the CA vehicle code is illegal. There is even a case People VS Franco (on the site) in which the CA Appellate Court overturned a judgment and ruled in favor of Franco. But I still lost which really pisses me off.

According to the owner of the site I could go ahead and fight it and he is willing to help me but it would take a while and I really dont want to waste the time and effort. I found out from him that best defense, recently, is Defect # 6, if applicable.

Good Luck.

David,
I have had excellent results using ticketassassin. I can give you a referral code to save you some money.
John

A quote from a member:
Dear Pat,
I received a red light camera ticket in October of 2004 while on vacation with a rental car in California. By using your site and your personal help, I had a trial by written declaration in which I used your two-pronged defense of refusing to incriminate myself as being the driver of the vehicle as well as the defense of there being no proof of the violation... I FINALLY received a response from the court this past Saturday (3/28/05), and they are dismissing my case and will refund my $341 bail that I posted in December... 4 months ago! I want to personally thank you for your help and for the wonderful resources on your site. Without your help, I could never have known how to even protest this ridiculous ticket, let alone actually protest and WIN the case! I honestly can't thank you enough for your help and for your site. I am definitely more than happy to have paid you the minor fee you charge for your service... I still saved over three hundred dollars!
Keep up the fight,

Seth H., Chicago, IL

Last edited:
bloody_ta.gif

Hey Anytime, can you PM me that referral code....I just got a ticket and would love to check out that site for some good information. :smile:

i won once. i went in to court. the ticket place didnt send them the pictures.

officer came, said they didnt have any evidence.

i won with my copy of the evidence in my pocket :biggrin:

Most of the camera lights here in San Diego also have video.

They send you the picture in the mail, but will also have a link to view the video. It captures about 10 seconds before and after. The quality is much better on the video.

Always do a trail by declaration first, because you get two chances to fight the ticket. If you lose trail by declaration, you still have the option to show up in person.

This will also allow you to delay your insurance going up, if you don't qualify for traffic school. It doesn't count on your license until the final decision or you plead guilty.

Good Luck.

I recently received a red light run camera ticket and like vsy05 stated the camera had video. The picture makes it look like I abided by the law however the video shows my dumb a$$ completely entering a right hand turn on a red. You can even see my face looking for cross traffic and not paying attention to the traffic light. I did however fight another ticket of the same nature. The camera anticipated me entering the pedistrian section and snapped the picture. I didn't actually enter the section so the ticket wasn't an issue and was dropped. Basically I don't know how you could fight the ticket (provided you did actually break the law on video) unless the court screwed up on some clerical issue.

Back