Camera Experts

I am in the market for a Digital SLR Camera, nothing exotic or complicated. 5 or 6 mega pixels would be enough as we will only be printing the pictures to about 8x10. New or used. Thanks in advance.

Armando

First question would be whether you have any lenses already. When consumer digital slrs first came out I went with a Canon D60 because I had a complement of Canon lenses. Although there are packages including a lens, most digital slrs are sold as body alone.

I am not aware of any 5mp digital slr other than the Olympus (of which I have no firsthand knowledge other than reading reviews) and would not recommend one even if you could find it because if you are going to take the leap to a digital slr you might as well leave yourself with the option of very large prints that are capable with a 6mp.

Another issue is your price range. If you want a lower priced alternative, I would recommend the Canon Digital Rebel, aka 300D, currently priced at approximately $689 at B&H Photo. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=297500&is=REG That is an excellent camera for the price.

A little sturdier and more advanced would be a Canon 10D, now being discounted as a result of the introduction of the 20D. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=277768&is=REG The current going rate averages about $1150, but that is body only as well.

Ideally, you should spend the most money on a good lens but that also depends upon the type of photography for which it will be used. If just for recreational/family activities, you can get away with a less expensive lens for everyday shooting.

I currently shoot both the Canon D60 and a recently acquired Canon 20D. I have no affiliation with Canon other than being an owner of 4 Canon film slrs and 2 Canon digital slr bodies.

I also recommend Nikon but, once again, you should stick with a digital slr body for which you already have lenses. The Nikon D70 is also an excellent choice although it is generally approximately $300 higher than the digital Rebel. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=315793&is=REG Nikon lenses tend to be somewhat costlier than Canon so that would be an added expense.

You can also save money by buying Sigma lenses which have mounts for both Canon and Nikon. Personally, I consider them to be inferior lenses (as do most reviewers) but for the average recreational photographer they are a good and cost-effective alternative.

MiamieNeSeX said:
I am in the market for a Digital SLR Camera, nothing exotic or complicated.
What is complicated in your eyes? Ease of use?
BTW, there are a few old "digital camera" posts in the off-topic forum you might want to read. Bob's advice is and always has been great in this area. After reading all of his and other members posts, I decided on a 10D. Very nice camera. Just ordered a new lense for it too. :)

I've shot nikons since the film days, and still owned a F90X (the non-US version of N90s). Since I have some Nikon lenses already, I decided to wait for a decent Nikon D-SLR, and got the D70 when it came out.

If you already have any older equipments like me, then it can save you some $$$ to use similar brands. If you are starting from scratch, ... I'd say the Canon EOS-20D looks very good indeed, .. or if you want to go Nikon, the D70 is quite awesome. I really love my D70!!

Cheers .. Gus

P.S. I'd NOT reccomend EOS-300 (Digital Rebel) if you're going Canon .. You'd be much better off with the 20D, or even 10D.

bsudiro said:
P.S. I'd NOT reccomend EOS-300 (Digital Rebel) if you're going Canon .. You'd be much better off with the 20D, or even 10D.

Just for further clarification: My recommendation for the Digital Rebel was qualified by my indication it was for the "cost conscious" consumer looking for a lower priced alternative. I agree that the 20D is a better, albeit significantly more expensive, choice but that is why I listed various choices.

Last edited:
The Digital Rebel uses exactly the same sensor as the 10D and, with appropriate glass, will take an equivalent image.

The Digital Rebel with pro glass will give you a better image than a 20D with consumer glass. It isn't the sensor resolution - it is the quality of the glass.

Buy the best glass possible, then put it on a body you can afford and trade up bodies later.

For anyone who is gonna just shoot in the auto mode and would not require the additional features of the 20D Lud still has his up for grabs in the for sale section ( Non Nsx Related ).

A friend has a Cannon 10D which I will use for a while and see if its what I need. Thanks for all the input, now enough seriousness lets go back to busting balls :)

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
... Thanks for all the input, now enough seriousness lets go back to busting balls :)

Armando

Remember, a camera never takes a bad picture. It's the idiot holding it that screws up. :D

Back