• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

California traffic ticket question

Ric

Experienced Member
I got nailed tonight driving home to San Diego on I405 south near Culver city exit in Orange county for going close to 80 in a 65 mph zone in my Civic. First ticket in over 10 years and first in CA and I am not sure what to do with it. I just want to pay and be done with it but the ticket doesn't show how much I should pay. It shows the court date. Does it mean I have to show up? Is there a way to just pay it and not have to show up? I can't even read the court date on the ticket and there is no phone numbers or website to contact.

What are my other options? Am I going to get point on my license? I am thinking of just getting a traffic lawyer and let them deal with this. I searched this forums for CA traffic lawyer but didn't see any. Anybody in southern Cal knows any good traffic lawyer?

Let me know.
Thanks.

ticket.jpg

in ca you can fight speeding tickets by claiming your speed was safe for the conditions EXCEPT those written for exceeding the 65 mph limit. your best bet will be traffic school on the internet and paying the fine.

in ca you can fight speeding tickets by claiming your speed was safe for the conditions EXCEPT those written for exceeding the 65 mph limit. your best bet will be traffic school on the internet and paying the fine.

how do I do traffic school? Do I need permission from the judge first or do I just take it before my court date?

Just read opinions from another forum and they said hiring a lawyer or traffic school is a waste of money. Is that so?

Last edited:
You will get a written notice in the mail from that county court. Give it about 2-4 weeks before it arrives. On this notice it will give you the bail amount and will tell you about traffic school if you qualify.

If you pay the fine on the notice in the mail, you do not have to show up to court.

In some cases, you may not get a notice in the mail (lost mail, etc). It is your responsibilty to take care of the ticket before the date on your ticket.

Legal stuff, so you don't sue me: the advice provided is not legal advice. Please consult an attorney for legal advice.

Just wait... in about 3-4 weeks you will receive a letter in the mail giving you all the details (citation dollar amount, eligibility for traffic school, how to pay, what to do if you want to fight it, where to go to traffic school and how much, etc). Unfortunately, I have had my fair share of tickets....:redface::frown::mad:

-Steve :smile:

I moved to a new place 2 months ago and the address on my license is an old address. I already mailed the change of address form to Sacramento and never heard or received my new license with the new address. I might not receive the letter in the mail if the post office already stopped forwarding the mail. How do I let them know of my new address?
Thanks.

I moved to a new place 2 months ago and the address on my license is an old address. I already mailed the change of address form to Sacramento and never heard or received my new license with the new address. I might not receive the letter in the mail if the post office already stopped forwarding the mail. How do I let them know of my new address?
Thanks.
Typically, when you fill out paperwork for change of address at the DMV, they should have given you a little card for you to fill out your new address on. You're supposed to carry that and provide that with your license when required- the ticket should be sent to that address. If you did not provide that card, then it's up to the PO to forward that mail...

Another thing to consider is trial by declaration- read the back of the either the ticket you received or the letter from the court (I forget which). Read up about it online and follow every process to the letter- costs about $15-20 and several hours worth of work when done, but I got out of my last ticket that way.

WWW.ticketassasin.com

I've used it and so far outta ten tickets I've had, I've only lost one case.

U can fight it by mail. Details r on the back of ur ticket.

Please provide what cvc u got nailed for.

Also check the written details on the ticket. I had one cop (who's lost to me twice) write northbound when I was going southbound on the freeway. That caused a dismissal.

you wont win on a trial by declaration a ticket for exceeding the 65 mph limit.

Then explain why I have many times?

It depends if he got a cvc 22349 or cvc22350.

Also, most choose officers dun want to spend time responding to trial by declaration.

When they joined the force they want to Chase, arrest and shot folks not peck at the keyboard and fill out papers at the office.

He can also use stan the man lawyer. Google him.

What is CVC? Is it the number 22347 on the ticket?

Also, I got caught by the CHP from behind. He was pacing me and I was going around 75-80 or so. From my experience in the past, normally the CHP don't even care to pull over cars up to 80-85mph or so on the freeways.

He was in no mood to talk so I didn't care to try to talk to him. Just kept my mouth shut, signed the ticket and went my own way.

ticket2.jpg

WWW.ticketassasin.com

I've used it and so far outta ten tickets I've had, I've only lost one case.

U can fight it by mail. Details r on the back of ur ticket.

Please provide what cvc u got nailed for.

Also check the written details on the ticket. I had one cop (who's lost to me twice) write northbound when I was going southbound on the freeway. That caused a dismissal.

Ric,
I have used ticketassasin before and you should give it a try instead of just pay. Some folks had good result but I did not.

looks like you have 22349(i had one as well) not 22347 so its harder to get out.(i did not). If you had 22350, you have better chance.

the least you should do is write a request a trial by declaration but most likely you won't win as you had gone over the speed limit.

Thanks for recommending ticketassasin. I read about it last night and in my case, I think I will just pay and get it over with instead of letting this hanging over my shoulder. Like you and Socalx said, the chance of getting out of it unscathed is slim. I just want to find a way to not attend traffic school and not get point. How do I do that? Would a traffic lawyer be able to do that? :confused:

Ric,
I have used ticketassasin before and you should give it a try instead of just pay. Some folks had good result but I did not.

looks like you have 22349(i had one as well) not 22347 so its harder to get out.(i did not). If you had 22350, you have better chance.

the least you should do is write a request a trial by declaration but most likely you won't win as you had gone over the speed limit.

What is CVC? Is it the number 22347 on the ticket?

CVC is California Vehicle Code and it is the number. Your ticket says CVC 22349

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22349.htm
CA Vehicle Code 22349 said:
Maximum Speed Limit

22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed greater than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion thereof, has been posted for a higher speed by the Department of Transportation or appropriate local agency upon the basis of an engineering and traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision, the following apply:

(1) A two-lane, undivided highway is a highway with not more than one through lane of travel in each direction.

(2) Passing lanes may not be considered when determining the number of through lanes.

(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that there be reasonable signing on affected two-lane, undivided highways described in subdivision (b) in continuing the 55 miles-per-hour speed limit, including placing signs at county boundaries to the extent possible, and at other appropriate locations.
Amended and Repealed Sec. 22, Ch. 766, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996. Repeal operative March 31, 1996.
Added Sec. 23, Ch. 766, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996. Operative March 31, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 20, Stats. 1996. Effective March 29, 1996.
Amended Sec. 41, Ch. 724, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.

As stated before, all the information should be sent to you. In about a week or two you should be able to look up this information online using the number that is on the ticket itself. Your court is in Santa Ana, so you'll be in the Orange County district of courts.
http://www.occourts.org/online-services/case-access/

For 15 mph over the speed limit, expect the fine for the violation itself to be between $150-$215. If you choose traffic school option, it's about ~$30 added to that amount for that option and it goes to the state of CA. Then you have to pay for the traffic school itself which is another $25 or so and that goes to the traffic school company (sometimes they also charge you additional for the proof of completion certificate, so be careful..).

Thanks for recommending ticketassasin. I read about it last night and in my case, I think I will just pay and get it over with instead of letting this hanging over my shoulder. Like you and Socalx said, the chance of getting out of it unscathed is slim. I just want to find a way to not attend traffic school and not get point. How do I do that? Would a traffic lawyer be able to do that? :confused:

Give these guys a jingle:

http://www.stantheradarman.com/

Chances is that ur ticket will probably be $366~.

The law firm charges $400~ to fight the ticket.

I know here in FL if you get a ticket in every state and you have racked up 600 points, you will have none ( 0 ) when you get home.

I will get speeding tickets out of state all the time just pay them and no points on your License LOL

I have no idea why this. not all the states are like this FL and 2 others I forget which ones.

Back