California Smog/DMV question

Hey guys,

I have a black 1991 NSX. My California Smog/DMV notice has a due date of 4/2/2012. I tried to smog it on 3/24 but it failed (barely). The smog tech told me to get some carb cleaner, and come back and it will pass. I can do this, but I think that I can resmog it around 4/4/2012. I have to run through a tank of gas and that takes a little time.

1-Can I pay my fees to DMV without the smog for now, and avoid late fees?
2-Do I need to have it smogged by 4/2/2012?
3-Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
John

You can pay the fees first without the smog (to avoid the late fees). They however won't issue you a sticker. You'll have to get it smog and then go back to get a sticker.

Also, out of curiosity, what are people paying for registering their NSXs in CA? (sorry for the thread jack)

Hey guys,

I have a black 1991 NSX. My California Smog/DMV notice has a due date of 4/2/2012. I tried to smog it on 3/24 but it failed (barely). The smog tech told me to get some carb cleaner, and come back and it will pass. I can do this, but I think that I can resmog it around 4/4/2012. I have to run through a tank of gas and that takes a little time.

Thanks!
John

Also, out of curiosity, what are people paying for registering their NSXs in CA? (sorry for the thread jack)

Just got my reg notice. $187 this year for my 92.

Pay the fees now online.

If you expire on 4/2, you will need to go to dmv and get a one day permit to drive to the smog station if you go after that date. (make an appointment, it goes a lot faster). You can get the permit for a future date, so do that at your convenience.

Good luck on passing. They've reduced the limits over the years and it's getting tough to get them to pass. Mine fails regularly (just barely) and it's for different things (co, nox ) from day to day.

Make sure you drive it for a while to get it warmed up and that it doesn't sit long before they run it in to the test.

I haven't gotten mine to pass in quite a while, now that the weather is better I'll get back to work on it.

Sulley

Last edited:
Apparently the 1991 NSX smog specs for California are the one of the strictest... much stricter than the 1992s..

Hey guys,

Thanks!
John
Yes, you can pay and turn in the smog certificate later. You have to pay first even if it is not smogged or you'll have to pay a penalty!

You'll have to wait in line at the DMV when you have the certificate, or go to your local AAA.

Pay the fees now online.

If you expire on 4/2, you will need to go to dmv and get a one day permit to drive to the smog station if you go after that date. (make an appointment, it goes a lot faster). You can get the permit for a future date, so do that at your convenience.

Good luck on passing. They've reduced the limits over the years and it's getting tough to get them to pass. Mine fails regularly (just barely) and it's for different things (co, nox ) from day to day.

Make sure you drive it for a while to get it warmed up and that it doesn't sit long before they run it in to the test.

I haven't gotten mine to pass in quite a while, now that the weather is better I'll get back to work on it.

Sulley

i barely pass with new aftermarket cats.
always HC.
PITA.

Does anyone know a smog center in the San Francisco Bay Area that is familiar with after market upgrades. My 93 NSX is due for one and the previous owner made quite a few modifications. I am having my car serviced at Fremont Acura Automall but the technician said that my car will probably failed because of modifications with the exhaust and oxygen sensor. Please advice.
Thanks in advance.
FXL

I failed when I did the smog on my 93. This happend because I drove to the smog shop, turned off the car, waited around for like 30 minutes and was then tested.

I then added some fresh 91 octane gas and proceeded to drive it very hard to get everything super hot. When I came back to the shop I drove right onto the rollers never turning off the car. The car passed with flying colors.

TLDR: Get the cats super hot, get right onto the rollers and don't turn off your car before testing.

...out of curiosity, what are people paying for registering their NSXs in CA?

The last renewal for my '91 (total of all fees) was $131.

I failed when I did the smog on my 93. This happend because I drove to the smog shop, turned off the car, waited around for like 30 minutes and was then tested.

I then added some fresh 91 octane gas and proceeded to drive it very hard to get everything super hot. When I came back to the shop I drove right onto the rollers never turning off the car. The car passed with flying colors.

TLDR: Get the cats super hot, get right onto the rollers and don't turn off your car before testing.

^This. Drive to a shop familiar with smogging NSX's and don't shut the car off. If they can't take you right within a reasonable amount of time, ask them when you can bring it back it so it can be run with the cats hot.

my 2004 reg is $320. Stupid Cali, its like a crime to drive a nice car here. Stupid smog is even worse. Who cares if a few cars dont have cats. I mean I know there is no way to make the law if you have a nice car vs having a pos that you just pollute with, but still, cali sucks in most regards when it comes to cars. It is one of the only states though with the beach, mountains and desert all in one location so I think they get us there.

my 2004 reg is $320. Stupid Cali, its like a crime to drive a nice car here. Stupid smog is even worse. Who cares if a few cars dont have cats. I mean I know there is no way to make the law if you have a nice car vs having a pos that you just pollute with, but still, cali sucks in most regards when it comes to cars. It is one of the only states though with the beach, mountains and desert all in one location so I think they get us there.

Only 320? My 2003 was 560 last year.

Only 320? My 2003 was 560 last year.

Large factor of the Registration fee amount is based on vehicle purchase price (the amount that you reported to the DMV when you first registered it). The CA sales tax is also based on this amount.

http://www.dmv.com/ca/california/car-registration

It's common for people to put a less amount than what is actually paid on the DMV forms.. :redface:

I took my NSX for Smog Test and passed !!!
What really bother me though was the comment the technician made" the law is going to change smog requirement is going to be yearly. Is this true, or has anyone heard anything? Imagine have to spend smog fees every time you register your vehicle.

Back