cable tv descrambler

how do descramblers work?
i get basic cable in my apartment. the cable goes directly from the wall to the back of my tv.... no box in between. can i still use a descrambler or do i need a box. when the manufacturer states compatibility with specific brands like scientific atlanta... what does that mean?
prices seem to range from $50-$150 on ebay.
what is a good price and what should i be looking for? and lastly, are they legal?

[This message has been edited by nicholas421 (edited 26 December 2002).]

Although they are not illegal to own ... it is illegal to install and use without the consent of the cable provider.

How do they work ?

Well how it usally works is they get a compatible non addressable cable box and install what is known in the industry as a test chip set.The test chip then authorizes the box to go into full service mode giving you full access to what ever is being sent over the line.

Test sets come in external and internal versions. External version are the best because they can test multiple boxes at the same time where internal sets can only work on the installed unit.

The above information is from an online source.

[This message has been edited by Acura NsX Pilot (edited 26 December 2002).]

Originally posted by nicholas421:
how do descramblers work?

Another important thing to remember is, they only descramble signals you are already getting. Any channels that appear scrambled, will then be unscrambled. If channels were once available (scrambled), but have been removed completely (ie many cable companies are switching their availability for pay channels to digital cable only) and thus I believe the traditional descramblers no longer work for these instances.)

You may be able to subscribe to basic digital service and then get descramblers for that type of box ??? (unsure)

Originally posted by Acura NsX Pilot:
giving you full access to what ever is being sent over the line.
The above information is from an online source.

[This message has been edited by Acura NsX Pilot (edited 26 December 2002).]

The above post is correct but i did say that here also.

Cable companies are also looking to implement a addressable digital filter which the customer will not have access to thru giving them more control over the system.If they ever go ahead and do this it means that they will be able to provide you with only the channels that you pay for and nothing more.

Although they are not illegal to own ... it is illegal to install and use without the consent of the cable provider.
I'm not sure if this is entirely true. I don't think you have to notify your cable company as long as you are not recieving channels you are not supposed to see. You can parental control these channels on most boxes. I would check with you local laws it maybe different in different areas.

Also if you buy a box make sure it's the kind used in your area. Just because you have a box that gets every channel doesn't mean it will work on everyone's system. They do make universal descamblers that will work in multiple areas. Do a internet search for cable descrambler. Price range is between $200-$300.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 27 December 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
I'm not sure if this is entirely true. I don't think you have to notify your cable company as long as you are not recieving channels you are not supposed to see. You can parental control these channels on most boxes. I would check with you local laws it maybe different in different areas.

Also if you buy a box make sure it's the kind used in your area. Just because you have a box that gets every channel doesn't mean it will work on everyone's system. They do make universal descamblers that will work in multiple areas. Do a internet search for cable descrambler. Price range is between $200-$300.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 27 December 2002).]

I am sure and those people that were prosecuted and fined are now sure also.

Back