Cable/Internet/ cox comm

Hello
Just moved to irvine and it appears the only cable providers around is cox.
First time I have heard this company...how r they compared to uverse or comcast..I called and it sounds like cable with 180 HD channels and Internet runs at around 120.00...add tax and ur at 140ish.

Anyways
1.what are your thoughts on cox..what should stay away from?

2. Any ideas on direct tv/dish networks..how does Internet work with them..does anyone have that combo?

Zaid

Hello
Just moved to irvine and it appears the only cable providers around is cox.
First time I have heard this company...how r they compared to uverse or comcast..I called and it sounds like cable with 180 HD channels and Internet runs at around 120.00...add tax and ur at 140ish.

Anyways
1.what are your thoughts on cox..what should stay away from?

2. Any ideas on direct tv/dish networks..how does Internet work with them..does anyone have that combo?

Zaid
Welcome to SoCal, hope to see you at a local event.
Cox Cable is all I have in Trabuco Canyon. Works fine. Not cheap but VERY RELIABLE IMO, would never consider a dish.

I have AT&T for everything: Home Phone including All Distance ($44.39), Cell Phone/Wireless ($48.59), Internet ($35.00) and DISH Network ($58.16). It all comes on one bill and I'm paying $184/month. My zipcode is Trabuco Canyon although I'm not really in the canyon but closer to Lake Forest.

Cox is a great company. Very reliable service.

I'm paying $100/mo for Internet (top speed package @ approx 75Mbps) and $90 for digital TV/HDTV. $190 total each month. I also have a phone line (for faxing) but that was free.

geez cox is much much more than uverse or comcast
i am in 92604 zipcode area and supposedly the only cable provider there is cox. I called driect TV but they dont have their own internet provider..they told me that they go through clear channel communications and i would be given an "air card" for internet...i have no idea what that is or how it performs compared to DSL or regular cable internet.

I have Cox's 15 Mbps service for $30 a month for a year, special; their regular price is like $50, but the offer may still be valid on the website. I had ATT DSL (no Uverse in the sticks) and it was crappy. Cox has been very reliable and fast. Cox's office is in Rancho Santa Margarita and they seem to have their stuff together.

Dish Network can provide High Speed either partnering with a Telco or Cable or using (Wildblue) Satellite for connectivity. I'd just go separate "Best of breed" for each service you want. $30 for HSI, $75 for Dish Network (including free Blockbuster DVD by mail), and $25 for Vonage IP phone.

Insert your preferred provider in each.

Miner

I have AT&T for everything: Home Phone including All Distance ($44.39), Cell Phone/Wireless ($48.59), Internet ($35.00) and DISH Network ($58.16). It all comes on one bill and I'm paying $184/month. My zipcode is Trabuco Canyon although I'm not really in the canyon but closer to Lake Forest.
I PROMISE never to complain about my COX bill again :eek::eek:

Yes, mine is expensive but I also have the highest tier of Internet service. I work from home so it's a business expense and I make good use of the bandwidth.

You're referring to CLEAR. That's a 3G/4G air card. Only the 4G data is unlimited and it caps at around 10-15Mbps when you have perfect service. I have one of their USB modems for when I travel. I wouldn't recommend it for home Internet service though.

i am in 92604 zipcode area and supposedly the only cable provider there is cox. I called driect TV but they dont have their own internet provider..they told me that they go through clear channel communications and i would be given an "air card" for internet...i have no idea what that is or how it performs compared to DSL or regular cable internet.

Last edited:
I doubt your Cox bill includes your cell phone, like hers, though. I thought her price was pretty damn cheap.
It very well might be. I just go back to BC (before cable) so the monthly dollar commitment for utilities is UNREAL!
Added together mine is about the same :frown:

You already checked to see if AT&T Uverse or Verizon FIOS is available in your area?

Check DSLReports.com to help you find internet
http://www.dslreports.com/

Last edited:
I doubt your Cox bill includes your cell phone, like hers, though. I thought her price was pretty damn cheap.

I was paying just over $200/month until I found out that my long distance plan could be replaced by one that was called All Distance that was less expensive, while really covering every where. (With the long distance plan I was being charged to call 20 miles away because it wasn't far enough away to be long distance but it wasn't close enough to be part of the normal calling range. :mad: )

I was paying just over $200/month until I found out that my long distance plan could be replaced by one that was called All Distance that was less expensive, while really covering every where. (With the long distance plan I was being charged to call 20 miles away because it wasn't far enough away to be long distance but it wasn't close enough to be part of the normal calling range. :mad: )

Why still have a land line though? Most cell plans have long distance included for no extra cost.

Why still have a land line though? Most cell plans have long distance included for no extra cost.

I just prefer a land line since it's clearer. My son only has a cell phone and it's always a pain talking to him and trying to understand what he said.

I have an antenna on the roof of my house. There is no better video/audio signal than Over The Air HD Digital. It is a full bandwidth signal and is far superior to Cable, Satellite or U-Verse ( I have had them all ). I have also added a DVR to the antenna system so I am able to record my programming and not watch commercials. I have U-Verse high speed internet on one of it's upper tiers for a reduced price of $38/month (threatened to change to another provider) and I use a MagicJack which costs $19/year to run the house telephone system. It cost me a one time fee of $19 to "port" (xfer) my old phone number to the magicJack. Last year I went to Nicaragua for a week and took the magicJack with me. I was able to call home for free using the jack, small phone, and laptop with internet connection. BTW....I get over 50 crystal clear HD stations with picture and audio quality superior to cable/satellite/dsl.

Back