CA Registration. . .

As most Californians know. . . our registration will increase 300% starting Oct. 1. I am in the process of buying an NSX (from an owner in another state). . .so my question is, when I go to register will I have to pay for registration right now? Even if it has been paid for already by the previous owner? If I do have to pay for registration, what date will be used. . .the date the title transfer is signed? or the date I go to DMV to register? I tried doing a search on this, but didn't come up with anything. . .So, any help or info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps as I just completed my Cali reg last week...

The clerk told me that out-of-state registrations have no bearing on fees required for Calif. Calif fees are still due.

The VLF increase is based upon the date you pay your fees (not on purchase date). Therefore, if you have the car in Calif and have received your smog cert... get it to DMV today and pay your fees to avoid the increase!!!

Even if this is not correct... its better to be safe and spend $xxx today then $xxxx possibly on Wednesday.

Back