C5 Corvette Corvertible Vs. NSX

Was wondering if people can compare these two cars. I currently own the vette. Thinking of selling and getting an NSX. Curious about handling etc.

robl45 said:
Was wondering if people can compare these two cars. I currently own the vette. Thinking of selling and getting an NSX. Curious about handling etc.
r u talking about handling in comparison to the C5 Convertible? its a huge difference my friend the NSX is alot more precise and to the point
ive drive many C5's and there is no comparison

The NSX has a precise, light feel that the Corvette lacks. The Corvette has torque that the NSX lacks. Two very different cars in terms of feel with overall performance numbers that are very similar. It all depends on what attributes are most important to you. I prefer the Corvette for long road trips(much roomier inside and reasonably comfortable for long trips) and the NSX for around town or the twisties. I've had my '02 C5 since since new and my NSX for 13 years. Both have been absolutely reliable. If I could keep only one, it would be the NSX.

well I would turbo charge or supercharge the nsx so it would be fast, I'm glad the handling will be good. I would really miss the heads up disply though. I can't say that I feel the c5 is the most reliable car, it feels pretty cheaply made.

Had a 2000 C5 Vette conv, was a great car, other than some little complaints about quality and dealer service. Got an 02 NSX 3+ years ago, difference is night and day. There are many threads here that go into it, but to me, the biggest difference is that the Vette was "brute force" and the NSX is "pure finesse", the power and sound of the two is different, the vette is gasping for the next gear around 5500RPM and the NSX isn't quite yet begging for you to put your foot into the VTEC range, and then will sing all the way up to the 8,000 redline. Drive the NSX, and decide for yourself which is "your" passion. When my 39 month lease was up on the Vette, I couldn't wait to turn it in, when the lease was up on the NSX, first I extended it for 6 months, and then I bought it off the lease. That says a lot for a guy who loves change, and can't wait to move on to the next car!!!

So would you guys say the NSX is one of the best handling cars in the world? I was reading another post on here where they are saying the STI and EVO can outhandle it. I know they are AWD but my 97 AWD Eclipse certainly could not out handle the 91 nsx I drove recently.

Compared to a C5, especially a convertible the NSX is a much better handling car. The C6 coupe would compare much more favorably.

Higher skid pad numbers don't necessarily equate to faster times on a road course. The STI and EVO do handle well, and they can pull higher skid pad numbers, but an NSX with equal tires would turn faster times on a road course like Button Willow (stock vs stock).

The NSX is mid engined, and its weight distribution is 58% rear, this is very favorable and this is the weight distribution race cars, especially open wheel unlimited type cars run (my kart is even at 58% on the rear).

Going from a C5 convertible would be a very easy transition. It will take a little while to get used to the engine, the NSX really needs to spin to make power, where the Corvette has a lot more available down low.

The NSX will accelerate faster, handle better and looks considerably sexier in my opinion!

robl45 said:
So would you guys say the NSX is one of the best handling cars in the world? I was reading another post on here where they are saying the STI and EVO can outhandle it. I know they are AWD but my 97 AWD Eclipse certainly could not out handle the 91 nsx I drove recently.

Stock for stock, I guess a 97+ and a C5 are a pretty even match on acceleration.
A convertible adds some weight though, so I would think it would be a little slower.

The 91-94 cars are probably slightly slower 1/4 and 0-60 in stock form. This can be easily fixed with a set of headers.

robl45 said:
How will the nsx accelerate faster?

Here is a little different kind of comparison…

My brother is a co-founder of the world's largest corvette club. He has owned several corvettes and driven many, many different types of corvettes. He never liked Honda's and couldn't understand why I liked them. Then I bought my first NSX, a 2000 NSX-T.

I drove it over to his house to show it off and, of course, let him drive it. After he drove it he pulled into the driveway, turned off the engine, and just sat there. A long pause. . .

I asked, "Okay. I know you don't care too much for Honda's, but tell me what you honestly think about this?"

His response, "If I hadn't ever driven one of these, I would have never realized just how good of a car those Japanese could build. It's fast like a Corvette, but this is better than any corvette I have ever driven."

In context, he was not talking about the performance of the NSX; it was more about the seat-of-the-pants feeling, the razor sharp feedback, the smooth operation of the controls, the ergonomics, the engineering, the materials, the fit and finish, the sound, etc. He is now a big fan of the NSX.

Ps When his neighbor – a retired GM worker - came over to look at it, the first words out of his mouth were, "You can sure tell this was not put together by a UAW worker!"

Back