Buying stock vs. modded NSX's

I am looking at buying an NSX and wondering if it is better to buy one bone stock or buy that has the mods on it that I want. This might seem like a basic question but a lot of times people want way too much for a car that has mods on it. Should they really expect to get 90-100% of the money back in parts that they put on the car? I saw the wiki forum and it wasn't too specific except for saying that there are less buyers willing to look at cars like that so they are harder to sell. I hope this post makes sense. I am low on sleep. I also see that it is rather hard to find stock NSX cars.

Here are some other things I am wondering. How many of you guys out there have kids AND an NSX? Does your wife/girlfriend approve of your NSX love? I have a 3 month old and a 3 year old and most of my friends think I am nuts for looking to buy this car. I just say, "Life is short my friend."

I would suggest buying a stock one and getting familiar with the car before doing any mods. The car is brilliant without mods and most people will never drive it to its limits but those who do will mod them. Everyone approves of the nsx only problem is if wife can't drive manual she may be unhappy.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm

Mods do not add too much to the car. However, you can't expect a widebody, twin turbo 91 to sell for $30k either. My car had $20k worth of goodies added and I paid about $2k more than a stock 93 was selling for at that time. I say I got the deal. If the car has the mods you want and the price is right. Buy it!!

There is a black 94 6-spd in classifieds right now for $38k. He has a lot more in that car than $38k. If you were going to mod a stock 94 and add half of the items that car has, you would blow past $38k with just the tranny, clutch and diff. How can you go wrong with this purchase???

Do some searching and you will find threads like this discussed in the past. As for the kids, the only thing they do is prevent you from driving your NSX as much as you would like. Oh, watch out for handle bars scrapes down the side. That can be a serious bummer!!

Good luck!

Buying a stock or mod NSX is a personal preference. Some folks like it stock (no plans to mod), some like to mod a stock NSX themselves, and some prefers to buy one with some goodies on it. With a mod NSX, it is very seldom that the mod NSX has everything that the new buyer wants.

As for buying an NSX when you have 2 younger kids, make sure you have 2 vehicles that can carry the whole family. There will be times when you need to have room for both kids; otherwise, choose which kid you love more now.:biggrin:

As for me, I have 4 kids (2 in college). The NSX was the last of my personal goals before retirement. My wife and I acknowledge that the NSX is impractical, but she knows I wanted one for a long time. As long as there is a balance of time spent with the family, my wife is ok with it. Come to think of it, my 11 old son (youngest) spent more time in the NSX than my wife (counts toward family time).:wink: My wife also mentioned that I am happier on the days that I drove the NSX.:cool:

I currently have a company car(Ford Taurus) and then two other cars; 06' Lexus IS350 & 08' RX350. I have the cars covered. The IS350 is actually a weekend car. I don't make rediculous money but my father passed away a year ago and I inherited some funds. My father always wanted to buy a Shelby Cobra but never got the chance. He passed away at 51 years old. My lesson learned is you can save all you want but you can't take it with you. I have no car payments now and I have looked at a few NSX's but I haven't gotten too serious about it yet. I only have a two car garage and ideally I need to get a bigger house first.

I am actually looking at a low miles(39k miles) 91' that has a CTSC on it with headers, exhaust and some other tasteful mods. I just don't know if I can pull the trigger yet.

I think the majority of buyers are looking for cars with little or no mods. Highly modified cars need to find that special buyer for a home. Usually mods do not account much for the price of the car...except for a CTSC. Of course its all personal preference.

Good Luck on your search

Should they really expect to get 90-100% of the money back in parts that they put on the car?
Absolutely not. Most mods add little if anything to market value. Really desirable mods (e.g. Comptech supercharger) add at most 50 percent of the parts value to the market value of the car.

If you find a car that has the mods you want, by all means consider buying it, as long as you can save a lot of money compared with buying a stock car and doing all the mods yourself. But if anyone is asking a price that approximates 90-100 percent of the full price of the mods, keep searching (or make him a realistic offer; you never know whether he'll give you a call back).

Find the car with the mods you want & buy it!
Easier said than done, but can happen.
They will be almost free!
$4000.00 Exhaust? No charge!
$2000.00 in Susp & sorting? No charge!

However, IMO some mods can be considered a negative number, and actually detract from the value.

If your looking to boost, you need to be xtra careful.
If I wanted that, I would consider adding it on my own.
Unless you have 100% history, comp check & leak down info.

You may want to drive one N/A for a while 1st.
The Internet / media has given the impression the car is "slow".
To me, its more about the driver than the loud pedal on these cars.
But, maybe that's just me.

I have bought 3 NSX's and all 3 were stock. I did minor mods to all 3. The thing I like about stock is you chose what you want to do to them. If you don't like what you did you have your old parts to switch back or as I did remove the parts and put them to stock forsale and put the parts to my next NSX. My Comptech exhaust is now on its third NSX for example.

i bought a 91 automatic.....then a 93 CTSC Plus more for the same price as the automatic......Both have treated me well, but its time to sell the automatic or my wife will kill me...

I thought about SC the Auto....But Tranny Upgrade and CTSC would have put me at almost 20k.....

I bought the 93 for 29k....It has over 20k Eng Mods, 10 K Interior and 10k Exterior....I talked to the 2 mech that worked on it for past 10 years, leakdown test, dyno test, text drive etc......knowing me, i will drive for 2 years and 5k miles, and sell for darn near the same price he paid for it.....Dude was loaded and going through a divorce , so he was trying to sell all he had for cash....

Back