Buying NSX out of state, can somebody advise?

guys,
I'm located in Southern California, currently i'm on the market in search of an 02+ NA2 NSX. I found a few I like and very interested in, but they are all located out of state. Through experience with sales men and shady private sellers, they never tell you the whole story, so prior to me driving or flying out hundreds even thousands of miles to purchase the car, can someone advise some red-flags I should look out for so I don't waste my time and money?

Another question I have is for those financing expert within the community. Since my credit union does not finance any vehicle outside cali, they only finance cali registered cars only, is there a way I can bypass this and still go thru my credit union (due to good rates)?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance!!!

guys,
I'm located in Southern California, currently i'm on the market in search of an 02+ NA2 NSX. I found a few I like and very interested in, but they are all located out of state. Through experience with sales men and shady private sellers, they never tell you the whole story, so prior to me driving or flying out hundreds even thousands of miles to purchase the car, can someone advise some red-flags I should look out for so I don't waste my time and money?

Another question I have is for those financing expert within the community. Since my credit union does not finance any vehicle outside cali, they only finance cali registered cars only, is there a way I can bypass this and still go thru my credit union (due to good rates)?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance!!!

i had same problem with my credit union... i had to bite the bullet and find the BEST finance company to do out of state sales (for me capitalone) and then did a re-fi about 6 months after i bought the NSX...

Although it will not indicate everything in the car's history, I would run a carfax first. It does give you a good trail of where the car has been registered and how many owners. Accidents may not always be indicated though. Before wasting money on a plane ticket to go see the car, I would suggest posting a message in the appropriate regional forum for a fellow memeber to look at the car. This would most likely just consist of an eyeball inspection but depending on if it's okay with the owner, have them test drive it and give feedback. Then if it's worth looking into any further go have a PPI done to see if there is any outstanding issues with the car. Be sure they check for paint overspray (which could indicate a possible repair) or any type of frame damage as well as any leaks in the engine bay. And be sure the shop has a mechanic with NSX experience. I would probably have an alignment done to make sure it tracks straight, too. If it can't be aligned to spec, I would be very weary.

Good luck on your search!

Back