Buying my first NSX...

Hello everyone, This is my very first post. I just want to say that this site is great and very informative. I am an owner of a 92 Nissan 300zx twin turbo, I have been searching for about a month for an nsx. I want to stay in the 25,000-30,000 price range. It seems that you can pick up a 91-94 with moderate miles for that price. I would appreciate any advice that you current owners have in buying my first nsx. I know about the famous snap ring. The car would be used as a daily driver. I have read the FAQ's and would just like some fresh perspectives on owning an nsx. I called my insurance and they said it would be about $1,500 a year to insure. Is this average? I am 25 and have 1 ticket. Also I was wondering what the average payment on a $30,000 car would be with $3,000 down? I have a credit score of 700 and good credit. Thanks in advance for any replies. Sorry for the long post... Just have alot of questions on my mind. Thanks guys and gals!

make sure you have enough capital around in case something needs fixing or replacing. tires, clutch, etc. a clutch is something like 1500-2000 installed. otherwise, they are basically hondas with regards to reliability.

Agree with getting it checked out first. Pay the extra $100-150 and have a reputable Acura dealer with an NSX tech look at it for any obvious problems. Look for a car with service records and maintenance kept up.

As far as payments...remember these cars are usually considered exotics by most banks. Therefore, they will frequently finance them for more years than most other cars reducing your payment if so desired. I went through a credit union and they would go up to 6-7 years financing on my 12 year old car if I wanted.

Rear tires actually do wear out in 10-12K miles and can be expensive to replace. Just put a new clutch in mine at 51K miles at $2200 (best price in town)

Good luck...You'll love it!!

Check the car on the inner fender on all sides for crumple damage from a wreck. If you don't look close you can miss it. Even dealerships miss this. There are little covers underneath the back part of the rear fenders that can hide damage. Also check the upper radiator support for any damage. If anything looks fishy, ASK! A wrecked NSX is hard to sell and many people don't want to tell if they have not gone through insurance.

If the car(s) you're looking at has (or have) been modified (whether mildly or extensively), do make a point of asking if the owner has the OEM parts that have been replaced. Those OEM parts may come in handy at some point in the future, and you'll certainly not want to have to buy them from an Acura/Honda dealer, trust me.

Happy hunting.

Back