Buying my first Acura NSX-Tips?

I am a newbie in the market for an NSX (91-93) for under 30k. I am primarily interested in red or black ones. I went out to test drive an automatic NSX, it felt rough to me, but I was definitely sold on the idea of getting an NSX! the whole car shook way too much. This car was beautiful! I do know about the snapring problem. So here are some of my first time buyer's questions:

1-The car that I test drove (above) veered off to the right when trying to maintain a straight line (when you took your hands off the steering wheel) This could be an indication of what? How much would this cost to get fixed? Would you even buy a car that veers?
2-How many NSXs did you buy prior to pulling the trigger?
3-Did you have an inspection done before you bought it?
4-If I am traveling to Utah or Arizona from California, did you prenegotiate the price with the dealer before driving out? I don't want to be under time pressure before I buy. I don't want them to know that I have to be back by Monday.
5-I drive 8 miles to work everyday from Monrovia (Southern California) to Pasadena on the 210 freeway, this takes me 25-30 minutes (the traffic is bumper to bumper), if I use the NSX as a daily driver, will I burn out the clutch too soon? Will this even be fun to drive (bumper to bumper)? I have a 2002 Toyota Camry that is my daily driver now. I don't really believe in putting a car in a showroom and staring at it, I want to drive it everyday! I would hate to drop 30K and not enjoy it!
6-Since I am going to be doing some bumper to bumper SoCal driving, should I consider an automatic? Or is it really better just to get a manual? I will also be doing afterhours fun driving after 9pm and on weekends and some long drives. My initial response is to go with manual. Also, it seems that the automatics are more difficult to resell. Am I correct on this?
7-I really don't know a whole lot about test drives with these cars? How do you do it? I can tell the obvious simple stuff, but I am by no means an expert with these cars!
8-How has your purchase of an NSX affected your life (from an emotional perspective)? Did people treat you differently? Did dates treat you differently? How do women respond to it? How did you feel? Was it worth it?
9-Where can I meet up with other NSX owners out here to learn and check out their cars?
10-If you find a car in snapring range, would you buy it, or would you pass? How much does it cost to get fixed?
11-If you find a car that is a salvage, do you automatically pass or do you test drive it anyway?
12-Can any of you guys who are knowledgeable accompany me to test drive and inspect the cars? Obviously, you would have to live near the car. I would be eternally greatful! The cars I am interested in are in Garden Grove, California, Salt Lake City, Scottsdale, AZ. Anyone live near these locations?

Thank for any help and insights!
John

13-What do you get with a Rebel Yell? More, more, more............(in the Midnight Hour!) I had to get a Billy Idol reference in there!

Ok, a few more questions!

14-How are the seats comfort wise in the NSX? I don't want my back to hurt!
15-Should I even consider the Lotus Elise or Lotus Turbo Esprit? I am 6 foot tall, 220 pounds. I have never sat in an Elise, but it sure seems small. How is the comfort (seats, driving position, suspension, etc.) with these cars compared to the NSX?

Thanks in advance!

John

15-Should I even consider the Lotus Elise or Lotus Turbo Esprit? I am 6 foot tall, 220 pounds. I have never sat in an Elise, but it sure seems small. How is the comfort (seats, driving position, suspension, etc.) with these cars compared to the NSX?
I don't really believe in putting a car in a showroom and staring at it, I want to drive it everyday! I would hate to drop 30K and not enjoy it!

Unless you have deep pockets, i would stay away from the esprit for a daily driver. The nsx would be way more reliable and you wont look like this :eek: when you see the maintaince invoice.

You will fit in the NSX no problems. I am 6 foot 3, and 245.

The seats are very supportive for a sports car.

The opinions on NSX over pretty much any other car (reliability stand point) hold true. Buy the NSX.

Veering to the right was either bad tire wear, a bent wheel, or an alignment issue (nsx's tend to have algmt issues if they are lowered with upgraded tires/wheels) (unless the car has been wrecked, but that is a different can of worms). Should cost less than $100 to put back in spec, unless the tire needs to be replaced, or the wheel is bent.

PM me if you have more questions, and good luck.

JM

BillyIdol said:
5-I drive 8 miles to work everyday from Monrovia (Southern California) to Pasadena on the 210 freeway, this takes me 25-30 minutes (the traffic is bumper to bumper), if I use the NSX as a daily driver, will I burn out the clutch too soon? Will this even be fun to drive (bumper to bumper)?
If this is your primary use, stick with an automatic - either your Camry, or an NSX, or any other car.

If you're not sure whether to get an automatic or a manual, rent a manual transmission car for a few days (you can rent lots of different sports cars in L.A.) and use it in your normal traffic situations.

BillyIdol said:
Also, it seems that the automatics are more difficult to resell. Am I correct on this?
Yes.

BillyIdol said:
8-How has your purchase of an NSX affected your life (from an emotional perspective)? Did people treat you differently? Did dates treat you differently? How do women respond to it? How did you feel? Was it worth it?
Search the forums.

BillyIdol said:
10-If you find a car in snapring range, would you buy it, or would you pass? How much does it cost to get fixed?
Search the forums.

BillyIdol said:
13-What do you get with a Rebel Yell?
You're posting in the wrong forum. Try posting on a music website.

BillyIdol said:
14-How are the seats comfort wise in the NSX?
They are the best seats in the entire automotive industry.

BillyIdol said:
15-Should I even consider the Lotus Elise or Lotus Turbo Esprit?
For daily driving, absolutely not.

johnny010 said:
Veering to the right was either bad tire wear, a bent wheel, or an alignment issue (nsx's tend to have algmt issues if they are lowered with upgraded tires/wheels) (unless the car has been wrecked, but that is a different can of worms). Should cost less than $100 to put back in spec, unless the tire needs to be replaced, or the wheel is bent.
All of these are possibilities. It's also possibly a suspension problem, anything from shot bushings to bent control arms, in which case it could cost considerably more money.

BillyIdol said:
The whole car shook way too much.
Do you mean from unbalanced wheels, or engine vibration? And if it was the engine, do you mean at idle or also when driving?

1-The car that I test drove (above) veered off to the right when trying to maintain a straight line (when you took your hands off the steering wheel) This could be an indication of what? How much would this cost to get fixed? Would you even buy a car that veers?
I don't know how severe a drift you're referring to; even a properly aligned car will drift to the side of a crowned road. If you're referring to a substantial drift, and if it could be fixed by a $150 alignment, I'd wonder why the seller didn't fix it.

2-How many NSXs did you buy prior to pulling the trigger?
I assume you mean drive, not buy. I tried two.

3-Did you have an inspection done before you bought it?
Yes.

5-Will this even be fun to drive (bumper to bumper)?
Only you can say. I like nsxtasy's advice of trying a manual out for a few days.

7-I really don't know a whole lot about test drives with these cars? How do you do it?
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/nsx_purchase_process.htm

I didn't buy the car for what other people think of it. Some people respond to it, some don't. Some of the attention it gets is welcome, some is annoying; that's been a wash as far as I'm concerned. I like driving it, which is what counts to me. Was it worth it? Yes.

9-Where can I meet up with other NSX owners out here to learn and check out their cars?
Watch the Southwest region forum here on Prime, there are occasional gatherings.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

11-If you find a car that is a salvage, do you automatically pass or do you test drive it anyway?
I'd pass. There are enough non-salvage NSXs for sale.

I'd say you should keep your Camry too.

You need to search the Forums, all you ask is in there.

Even this:

I recommend to NEVER EVER use the NSX until about your 5th date. It says "a-hole" all over it. Complete and total turn off for women.

For this purpose: a 60's muscle or pony car is excellent, if not perfect for dating purposes.

Overall, I'd really recommend that you keep your current car and augment with a nice collector car.

Just in case you ARE looking to gain the eye of a "high maintenance" top .01% of the frosty Los Angeles model/actress type...the NSX won't do it. They know the value of the cars and it has be extremely high value and no more than a year old. For these women nothing less than a DB9, F430 or the GT Carrera will do. Out here it is obvious what the current few cars will put you in The Game.

Drew

BTW: You would think GT Carrera's are standard grocery getters out here, they show up at Ralphs (common chain on the west coast) parking lot on a regular basis out here.

The sheer volume of +$150K cars really makes you wonder what you've done wrong in life...it just seems so common and average.

Last edited:
1- Suspect alignment or suspension problems.
2- Two
3- Yes
4-Stick with a Private Party with all service history. Negotiate the price and have the seller take it for a pre-purchase inspection at a reputable NSX tech.
5-Your left leg will soon tire from the clutch. The car wants to run, not sit in traffic. This is a frustrating drive for an NSX.
6-Go for the Auto if you want to drive it alot in traffic.
7-Get in, adjust the seat, mirrors and buckle up. Get on the freeway, run through the gears and pay attention to the power band between 5K-8K RPM. Drive it through town and feel the brakes and the suspension react to different road conditions.
8-Women pretty much ignore the car. It is not a status symbol. It will not effect your social life...a good education and career choice will improve that situation.
9-Prime members get together from time to time. Check the Southwest forum.
10-Pass on a snap ring car unless you go for short gears.
11-Your worried about resell of an AUTO but are considering Salvage Titles??think not
12-Prime members can look at it for you, but you should still do the Pre Purchase Inspection with a reputable NSX tech.

Back