buying from auctions

I've been lurking in the shadows for some time and decided to post for once :smile:

I have a friend/acquaintence who goes up to Manheim Auctions weekly (PA) for his dealership and has offered to take me when I want. I understand some good NSXs go up there along with some really crappy ones. I know the big disadvantage is the lack of time to view/inspect the car. A couple questions I have are...

1. How much cheaper is the sales at the large (or exotic) auctions? Is it even worth the time or just buy one on the open market.

2. How often do they show up in auctions (ex. Manheim)

3. Any tips besides trying to drag an NSX expert up there with me, run VIN checks, and post the VIN to everyone here for any additional info :tongue:

I'm hoping to buy one next year after completion of some work on the house but am trying to plan well ahead (just in case a great deal pops up hehe)

Thanks!

Thanks!

2003 Nissan Murano
1984 Jeep CJ
1994 Nissan "beater" long on mileage...short on looks

wtgonnsx said:
1. How much cheaper is the sales at the large (or exotic) auctions? Is it even worth the time or just buy one on the open market.

I have a license and have been to the big auctions in the south and east many times (including manheim, pa). If it means anything to you - I bought both of mine privately. Even if I were buying for resale I still don't think I would buy at an auction. There are just too many variables that you can't pick up on without driving the car, let alone getting a tech inspection. Frankly, I haven't seen any real steals on these at the auctions anyway. History is also usually wiped completely away as upon "cleanup" at most of these sales - everything goes (including that receipt for the timing belt and water pump, ahem). I suppose there's always a chance that a low mileage cream-puff makes its way to an auction, but most dealers are shrewd enough to understand the strong market for a good one and don't want to whosale it. At a sale like manheim you'll have lots of competition for that stray cream-puff as well. Hope this helps.

There is a couple of us dealers on here. I buy 7-10 NSX's at Manheim per year and probably sell 5 a year there. I go every friday and every exotic sale. I have a couple NSX's in stock that if they dont sell within the month, they are going up there on a "one way ticket".:biggrin: I usually sell the NSX's for more up there than I retail them for.:confused: Its strange and I can never figure out where the dealers go with them. I buy/sell 100 cars a month there and I must stress, ITS BUYER BEWARE. Post sale inspections are a joke. Just had an 05 EVO past post-sale last week and and when the car arrived at my dealership....it had NO REVERSE.:mad: Anyways, I bought my NSX from a private party. I wanted to pay more for a perfect car. History and condition were very important to me and after waiting 23 years for this car, I wasnt in the position to settle. If you need any help, PM ME

not trying to give away how he got the car.. but nsxinohio got his nsx at a police auction for 9,000 and as far as I know hasent had any big problems at all with the car.. The money he saved has went towards a wide body and other mods... So if you can come across a deal like this I'de call you one lucky guy to...:biggrin:

wtgonnsx said:
I've been lurking in the shadows for some time and decided to post for once :smile:

I have a friend/acquaintence who goes up to Manheim Auctions weekly (PA) for his dealership and has offered to take me when I want. I understand some good NSXs go up there along with some really crappy ones. I know the big disadvantage is the lack of time to view/inspect the car. A couple questions I have are...

2. How often do they show up in auctions (ex. Manheim)

3. Any tips besides trying to drag an NSX expert up there with me, run VIN checks, and post the VIN to everyone here for any additional info :tongue:

I'm hoping to buy one next year after completion of some work on the house but am trying to plan well ahead (just in case a great deal pops up hehe)

Thanks!

Thanks!

2003 Nissan Murano
1984 Jeep CJ
1994 Nissan "beater" long on mileage...short on looks

Hi,

I grew up in central pennsylvania, and used to work as a gip at Manheim. Even prior to working there, I had dealers taking me down every Friday, since I was 17, showing me the ropes of the lanes. I loved it, it was like being a kid in a candy store.

Suffice to say, I've done a handful of personal business there over the years and been through quite a range of sports cars from VR4's to BMW's to Mercedes to 355's.

Some days their can be steals there. I've shown up dead set on one type of car and went home with another I couldn't pass up because BMW Finance suddenly showed up with five truck loads of off lease cars and one I couldn't pass on. I love the variety.

All in all, I have many fantastic stories and all in all nothing but good luck myself with personal purchases. No real horror stories yet, and probably about 15 or so purchases in all. Often times, I've gotten steals relative to either dealer or private party sales. Other times I've passed on a few sales as with transportation costs and the added auction fee I've gotten a better deal private party locally or it was a wash. My current NSX I purchased locally, as I wanted to roll the sales tax on a courtesy trade, I really didn't feel like flying back and driving it back, and I suppose I also got the anal rententive bug up my butt that particular day.

I guess if I was to give any auction advice, here a few points:

1) I suppose my rule is that it doesn't matter where or how you buy a car- private party, dealer, or auction- either way it is buyer beware as you really need to technically know about the vehicle you are looking at and be able to assess its condition and value. The simple fact being that people in all sales mediums will lie and mispresent vehicles all day long or information will be unavailable, so it is up to you to know what you are really buying. In the end it's your money.

2) It is impossible to know everything, so being smart is knowing what you don't know, which is why often dealers specialize. There are both good as well as crappy cars sold private party and at dealers all day long, and it is a popular myth to think that the type of sale has anything to do with the condition of a car. You need to be able to see with eyes better than that. Cars get bought and sold across the various mediums for all sorts of interesting reasons, so don't generalize on a vehicles condition before inspecting it. Being an experienced buyer armed with knowledge is invaluable, and will allow you to make solid informed decisions come the day of the auction.

3) As far as your query- buying an NSX, one will go through the manheim network here or there. Often times on exotic sales. Pricing is variable. You need to check the pre-sale sheets every week until one comes up that looks compelling. Then you can just pretty much pick up the pick list at the door when you walk in and spend the morning walking around trying to find it.

Once you find it, assuming the keys are in it, you and your dealer can take as much time as you like checking it out, start it- even drive it around the lot. If you really know what you are doing you can have the car VIN checked and a pretty good idea of the overall condition and what will be required to bring it up to your needed spec in about 45 minutes. I've done compression checks with a foot of snow on the ground and more falling. Fun times.

If it's posted to go through a lane and has a number on the windshield, then you'll likely have an idea what time it will run, which should give you ample time to make up your mind, coordinate last minute financing details, and make your decision on the final bid.

4) If it is your first time.. it can be little over-whelming at first. Manheim sells 10,000+ cars a week and is the largest dealer auto auction in the country. They run lots of open lanes and often cars moving through busy lanes every 90 seconds. A lot of it is luck, a little risk, and hit or miss. You never know who's going to be there to bid. It's easy to get caught up in it all. You need to put any prospective excitement or urgency to drive a car home aside, and be willing to walk away from a sale for any reason at any time in order to get the best results. After all, there is always "next Friday".

Hope that helps.

Regards,

John

Last edited:
Thanks for the speedy responses!

But I thought I could get a mint condition low mileage for under $10k!! :biggrin: j/k

I have to admit it would scare the heck out of me buying a car without a real thorough inspection. I have also read that cars seem to retail there as opposed to wholesale but wanted to get your alls take on it. The person I know swears by the place...but then again...I'm not sure I would buy a car from him. :tongue:

About the removal of records, that was not something I had really thought of and finding out truly what maintenance has been done would be tough to say the least. I think I will concentrate on buying one that is known about:smile:

Look for me buying one in a year (hopefully less). I'm thinking that new windows, siding, and landscaping might be all sooo important now. lol

Thanks!

As a Bronze Power Seller I can tell first hand as many horror stories as you want. Like the Jackson Racing Supercharged RSX-S A-SPEC I bought last month that cooked a motor after 15 miles or my countless cars with frame damage or other horrific stories.

First, you cant drive the cars around any more. Security will be up your ass and it just aint happining. No room to open it up either. Manheim PA is the largest auction in the country and it will most likely eat you up alive. Buy Private... pricing is about the same and alot safer. Sanp rings are impossible to detect in terms of older NSX's and there is normally no history.

The ONLY, I repeat ONLY way id buy an NSX at Manheim is a late model still covered under factory warranty.

wtgonnsx said:
Look for me buying one in a year (hopefully less). I'm thinking that new windows, siding, and landscaping might be all sooo important now.

Thats the reason I havent driven mine in Months.:frown:

Back