Buying and checking out a 91 Black NSX

All,

My First post please be kind to me :biggrin:.

I love NSX day one since I was in college (it gives away how old I am now :smile:). I always loves to own one but it is too expensive and I have other higher priority in my life (house, wife/family, saving and retirement planing)

I have been reading on NSX Prime for sometime and also did some researches on NSX as well as the buying tips for it. I have done many mid level work/repair/mod to the cars I owned before: 2 civic/1 accord/2 Prelude/Miata(tons of repair/mod/works)/Isuzu pickup (PITA)/Lexus RX. I am familar what areas to check for when buying used cars.

However, I never worked nor checked any mid engine exotic like NSX. Any thing I need to pay attention to? Here is what I know so far about the car:
  • Car is out of snap ring range (good).
  • Clean title (need to be verified)
  • Local seller (good. no out of town traveling for me)
  • High mileage ~190k (not so good, but it is a Honda. . .)
  • He is the third owner (First owner 0- 140k, second owner 140k- 145k(only 5k?), current owner drove it since 145k - 190k Current owner don't keep service record (bad sign, no previous and current service's records)
  • Reason for sale: Injury at work want a bigger car but he is not in a hurry to sell it.
  • Color Black (not my first choice. Always like red for sportscar. Black is my third choice)
Asking $22,000

I am not in a hurry to buy one and I think the asking price seem high for the condition. I haven't seen the car yet. I will check it out this afternoon and get more info (like if any paint job after minor accident, VIN, general condition, engine sound, tire wear etc).

If you know some specific tips on checking out a NSX, please let me know. Also how much would be a reasonable offer to him. Thanks.

Sammy
-2005 RX8 6speed (my weekend car, red, stock, need to sell if I get an NSX)
-2004 Lexus RX330 performance package (family's daily driver)
-1990 Miata (Red, my little rocket/project car/my daily driver)

First post = :tongue:

Let us know what you find out. If you like, I would suggest PP!.

All,

My First post please be kind to me :biggrin:.

I love NSX day one since I was in college (it gives away how old I am now :smile:). I always loves to own one but it is too expensive and I have other higher priority in my life (house, wife/family, saving and retirement planing)

I have been reading on NSX Prime for sometime and also did some researches on NSX as well as the buying tips for it. I have done many mid level work/repair/mod to the cars I owned before: 2 civic/1 accord/2 Prelude/Miata(tons of repair/mod/works)/Isuzu pickup (PITA)/Lexus RX. I am familar what areas to check for when buying used cars.

However, I never worked nor checked any mid engine exotic like NSX. Any thing I need to pay attention to? Here is what I know so far about the car:
  • Car is out of snap ring range (good).
  • Clean title (need to be verified)
  • Local seller (good. no out of town traveling for me)
  • High mileage ~190k (not so good, but it is a Honda. . .)
  • He is the third owner (First owner 0- 140k, second owner 140k- 145k(only 5k?), current owner drove it since 145k - 190k Current owner don't keep service record (bad sign, no previous and current service's records)
  • Reason for sale: Injury at work want a bigger car but he is not in a hurry to sell it.
  • Color Black (not my first choice. Always like red for sportscar. Black is my third choice)
Asking $22,000

I am not in a hurry to buy one and I think the asking price seem high for the condition. I haven't seen the car yet. I will check it out this afternoon and get more info (like if any paint job after minor accident, VIN, general condition, engine sound, tire wear etc).

If you know some specific tips on checking out a NSX, please let me know. Also how much would be a reasonable offer to him. Thanks.

Sammy
-2005 RX8 6speed (my weekend car, red, stock, need to sell if I get an NSX)
-2004 Lexus RX330 performance package (family's daily driver)
-1990 Miata (Red, my little rocket/project car/my daily driver)

I would NOT buy this car for the simple reason that black is your third choice. As you are aware, it's a buyer's market. I would hold out for a lower mileage car if you can afford a little more $$.

Good luck.

Jeff

I would NOT buy this car for the simple reason that black is your third choice. As you are aware, it's a buyer's market. I would hold out for a lower mileage car if you can afford a little more $$.

Good luck.

Jeff

Jeff has a really good point. Make sure you get the color you want, you have to live with it and I wouldn't want to live with my third choice in anything yet alone something I am forking big bucks for. Just to give you an idea I spent 29k on a 1991 with 35K miles on it. The cars are much cheaper now so you should be able to find one under 100k miles for a pretty decent price..

First off...Welcome :smile:

I think that you are asking for trouble if you buy a high mileage car with no service history. That means you have to assume that it needs a Timing belt/Water pump and possibly a clutch soon. That amounts to almost $4K worth of service right there. The car may also be due for a valve adjustment. Check out the wiki for the maintenence schedule and go from there. There is also a buyers checklist there.

Other things to check out are the A/C, and the ABS. Things like window regulators and stereo amps are also common annoyances. If you still want to test drive it, make sure you gun it in a higher gear to see if the clutch slips. Also stand on the brakes to see if the ABS still functions. Make sure VTEC is working, etc...lots of things to look for.

Good Luck on your Quest

Get a PPI done that will save you a lot of work......

I just checked the car. It is not impressive as an NSX, but not bad for a 17 years old car.

Details: VIN: JH4NA115XMT002361 (Can someone be kind and check if it is really a clean title and accident free for me)

The bad:
  • Paint are fair with some pealing.
  • Both Seats are torn (typical?).
  • Dirty (owner is too busy to clean it)
  • Subwoofer is not working.
  • Engine seems dragging (launching rpm too low?)
  • due for clutch and timing belt change (It was not changed for last 4 years & 50k miles)
  • Many many little things here and there are missing or broken and need to be fixed or replaced.
Owner did all the maintance himself and no service record (young kid senior in college) He had it for about 4 years.

The good:
  • Overall match a typical 17 years high mileage old car.
  • new rear tires
  • Owner willing to sell it under $20,000
Just curious, how much will you offer for the car? Seem like I need to start to check out NSX out of town (out of state as well?).

Sammy

Last edited:
First off...Welcome :smile:

I think that you are asking for trouble if you buy a high mileage car with no service history. That means you have to assume that it needs a Timing belt/Water pump and possibly a clutch soon. That amounts to almost $4K worth of service right there. The car may also be due for a valve adjustment. Check out the wiki for the maintenence schedule and go from there. There is also a buyers checklist there.

Other things to check out are the A/C, and the ABS. Things like window regulators and stereo amps are also common annoyances. If you still want to test drive it, make sure you gun it in a higher gear to see if the clutch slips. Also stand on the brakes to see if the ABS still functions. Make sure VTEC is working, etc...lots of things to look for.

Good Luck on your Quest
Well said. No history, no buy for me. Hell even if your budget is $25,000 you'll have a better chance of finding a more promising NSX. If you get it for 20 grand and have to spend 5/6 grand in service, clutch replacement, AC work ect. you'll have a 26,000 or so car still with 190K miles. Keep looking, it's out there.:smile: Just my .02

I just checked the car. It is not impressive as an NSX, but not bad for a 17 years old car.

Details: VIN: JH4NA115XMT002361 (Can someone be kind and check if it is really a clean title and accident free for me)

The bad:
  • Paint are fair with some pealing. Must not be factory paint if its peeling
  • Both Seats are torn (typical?). No, Usually driver bolster wear is typical
  • Dirty (owner is too busy to clean it) That is a red flag to me saying he doesn't care about the car
  • Subwoofer is not working. Very common problem
  • Engine seems dragging (launching rpm too low?) ???
  • due for clutch and timing belt change (It was not changed for last 4 years & 50k miles) $$$$ 4 big ones
  • Many many little things here and there are missing or broken and need to be fixed or replaced. Another sign of an owner that doesn't care
Owner did all the maintance himself and no service record (young kid senior in college) He had it for about 4 years. He should at least have receipts for the parts.

The good:
  • Overall match a typical 17 years high mileage old car.
  • new rear tires
  • Owner willing to sell it under $20,000
Just curious, how much will you offer for the car? Seem like I need to start to check out NSX out of town (out of state as well?).

Sammy

Comments in RED. Do yourself a favor and PASS on this one. It's better to find a car that was well cared for by the previous owner. Sure, you could offer $16K and possibly end up spending $10K on it to fix it up and you would still have a high mileage car...much like Davidf said in the previous post.

I would recommend that you find another that is out of town for $26K that has been well taken care of with documented proof.

Thank all for the input. I was thinking offer something like $15000 but forget it may cost me another $10000 to make it work right. Even so I am still stuck with a high mileage car. :frown: I just need to keep looking.

Sammy

Thank all for the input. I was thinking offer something like $15000 but forget it may cost me another $10000 to make it work right. Even so I am still stuck with a high mileage car. :frown: I just need to keep looking.

Sammy

Sammy
You also have to remember that you are in Cali...abundance of NSXs here. You are also in Fresno, smack in the middle of options between N. Cal and S. Cal. You can save yourself travel time by getting a PPI done. Autowave here in so. cal or Driving Ambition in N. Cal. You can also ask or even offer a little $ for a prime member to look at a car for you. You don't seem to have strict/rare criteria in terms of color so you will find a solid deal soon. Just be patient.

Jeff

Run Forest run!

Last edited:
At 15,000 it is not a bad buy at all. It will be a car that you can drive in my opinion, and not be afraid to put more miles on and fix as you go. Certain mods could be done also while you were making it your own vehicle. The service can be done once you buy it, and for the most part could be done in increments. Instead of glass half empty, look at it half full. If it needs paint, look into 2002+ mods or cf parts being painted. Good luck w/ your search and choice.

I think Big_D hit just about all the service issues I would look into. These were all things I had to take care of at one point or another and i'm not even at 100k miles yet. Suspension parts on a 200k mile car might be worth some maintenance as well.

In a nutshell, at $15k it's an "ok" buy for me because I know i'd have to spend perhaps $5-8k+ in service work. Now i'm sort of like you. I've maintained pretty all my previous cars and built ~75% of my muscle car including the small block. I do think however, that after owning an NSX, it's not something that's very much fun to work on (personal opinion). I'd never consider doing the timing belt myself or say the cam plugs simply because it's such a PITA. Even changing the headers suck or maybe i'm just getting old :tongue:

I think you can buy a well maintained, high mileage car for around $20k. There's a few on craigslist now actually.

$15000 is assme that he really doesn't want to the car. He still loves to keep it. Most likely he will accpet an offer near $20000. That is a no buy for me.
I rather spend $30000 and get a lower mileage NA1 car with full service records, the color I like (Red/silver/yellow), in a condition that is acceptable to me (show me a clean car please) Or spend $35000 and get a 97+ NSX-T with 3.2.
Like I mention before, that condition is just not right for me. The owner maybe too busy or lazy to keep an exotic looks like an exotic. At least he should vacumn and wash the car before he showed it to any NSX buyer.
Time to keep shopping and saving more $$ for my future NSX (Being patient is my friend. I have already waited almost 20 years and waited another 5-10 years won't hurt my feeling :biggrin:).

Last edited:
Back