buying an nsx

I'm currently looking at 2 NSX right now,,,,-one is 1993 for $35,000 with 65,000 miles the other one is a 1992 for $36,500 with 30,000 miles. I found out that the 1992 one does fall into the snap-ring range. Both cars are pretty clean, tell me what you guys think which one should I purchase.. by the way this is a great fourm.

Ron...

[This message has been edited by ron5_s1 (edited 12 September 2002).]

Ron,

This is pretty tough to limit the evaluation to just these facts. Usually there's other things that would help tip it one way or the other. Things like other maintenance issues (window regs, timing belts, etc) come to mind.

But to limit it to only these facts, here's my opinion...

35K miles is a lot for a NSX. Considering that most NSXs are driven 5K-7K miles per year, that's 5 to 7 years of driving.

Fixing the snap ring can be done, if needed, and you can use that opportunity to make the move to short gears and a higher numerical ring (and a new clutch perhaps) and pinion (which is one of the more desirable upgrades).

I guess I would try to bargain the 1992 down a bit more.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Are they private sellers or from a Dealership? I would run a check on both of them and see if they have any paper work from maintenence work on them 15k-30k-60k. Drive them both have a Acura Tech look at them and get there opinion.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

i paid, i think it was 37k for my 91 blk/blk with 16k miles. bought it last december. id probably be more likely to pay the amount youre noting if the car was super low miles. on an exotic, low miles is typically more important than age. by the way, this was probably a little high, but car was very clean and low mileage. i bought it from an exotic car dealer.

hope this helps.

ron5_s1; is the 1993 located at Pikes Peak Acura in Colorado ? - just curious.

OH WOW!!! yes I have A LOT of insight on the car I traded for my '02. I def. have some good information for you if you would like!
smile.gif

whoops, cut that previous reply too short, sorry - I owned it for about 2 years and traded it a couple months ago for an '02.

more info if you can...like if there was any major problem with the car? When you had it for 2 years was it a great car? i'm pretty sure it was., but more insight from you would be a great help to me. Do you think it's a good buy.. thanks,

Just in-case anyone else would like to know more information on the 1993 Black / Black at Pikes Peak Acura of Co. Spgs. here ya go
smile.gif

The GOOD - the car runs awesome for having the miles and being nearly 10 years old. It HAS had the 60k service done,
the Clutch is new, only 7k miles on it (comptech 1). Also, it has new comptech slotted rotors and pads all the way around.
So, essentially, the 60k service, clutch, rotors and pads were all done at the same time. Also it has synthetic brake fluid, Redline Trani. fluid and I only used Mobil 1 oil for all oil changes. I have the OLD Stock clutch in my garage and the stock rotors / pads.
Tires are pretty much brand new - maybe.....oooooh, 4k miles on them or less.
The Bad - IMO the price they are asking is TOO much as they gave me 28.5k for trade in value. The previous owner FAILED to tell me about the car having front end work as I found out about it a year after owning it. I am NOT a person who has a "Keen-eye" for that type of stuff so I really have no idea what to look for and never noticed it until the mechanic at Acura showed me. From what I have been told, the hood apears to be different (like a different paint or structure than the rest of the car)
also, the right pop-up light was fixed a little WRONG but you really don't notice until you look at it closely as there is a fairly small gap in-between the hood and the head-light. The area in the front (around and under the Acura symbol) has more than a few road pits / road rash. The drivers seat has quite a bit of wear on the left side. The passenger seat is just fine, it's in good shape. The drivers
side Speaker DOESN'T WORK!!
frown.gif
frown.gif

Other than that the rest of the body is great! No dings, scratches, dents. From a distance the car looks perfect.
smile.gif

It was def. an awesome car to own as I enjoyed driving it. I changed the oil myself every 2k miles or less. The A/C works great,
breaks are awesome! Clutch is awesome! Windows roll up / down fine. One more note; The mechanic at Acura did all the work,
his name is Paul - AWESOME MECHANIC and a VERY nice guy!!!!
If you don't mind a little road rash and the fact that something was fixed in the front area, I think this car would be A GREAT BUY for 30k or less!!!!!!! Trust me, this car runs AWESOME but again.......it's not perfect.
smile.gif
hope this helps!
smile.gif

Back