Buying an NSX then Modding

I am considering purchasing an NSX and pouring about $30K into it. I have found a 91 about 50 miles away they are asking $33K with 25,000 miles and a 95 with 36K on the clock for $35K.

I have a couple of questions:

Are there any systemic problems with these cars?

Mods I am planning:
Supercharger
Engine control
Intercooler
Headers
Exhaust
Brakes
Coil Overs
CF - Hood, Brake Ducts, Engine cover, spoiler, etc.
Wheels and tires
Under car ground effects

Any comments here on my plans are welcome. Looking hard at the Science of Speed parts.

What about the prices? Are these decent deals?

^ That NSX would be a good idea pretty much most of the mods you want.

Although modding a car is great fun too and feeling the progress being made along the way.
We sell every part you've just mentioned so if you want a quote let me know. (we can do discount on combined purchases)

Last edited:
I am considering purchasing an NSX and pouring about $30K into it. I have found a 91 about 50 miles away they are asking $33K with 25,000 miles and a 95 with 36K on the clock for $35K.

Have no idea about the ones you've found. There's a story there and your job is to find out what the story is. The prices your quoting for a 91 are premium dollars for that year but if all the regular maintenance has been done then they could be worth that. Low miles un modified is nice cause you start out with a car that you know. It starts out fresh and you are the one that is driving it from the start of serious mods like Super chargers. I will say this - anyone that puts a super charger on their car is ready to hit the pedal when they drive em - so they are getting a "work out" - know what I mean! Ok so if you mod the car you know the history much better and how all that "hot pedal" driving is occuring.

There is maintenance to do on these cars - I bought one about 5 months ago and it was a 91 with 42k miles on it - silver and it's nice cosmetically, came with a folder of receipts and I've put over 6k in the car and all of it for deffered maintenance. Now did I have to do all that - maybe not - maybe - but most of it - yes I did. If these cars are dealer cars I would ask for records and if they don't have any - walk. Low miles is not the only indication you need to know that all the maintenance is done - most of what you find on an NSX is time driven as well as mileage driven.

IF you have good records with the cars you are mentioning let us know what they are - what you've found - then we can be even more helpful. I like low milers but like I said there is a lot of maintenance on these cars that have nothing to do with miles.

Have no idea about the ones you've found. There's a story there and your job is to find out what the story is. The prices your quoting for a 91 are premium dollars for that year but if all the regular maintenance has been done then they could be worth that. Low miles un modified is nice cause you start out with a car that you know. It starts out fresh and you are the one that is driving it from the start of serious mods like Super chargers. I will say this - anyone that puts a super charger on their car is ready to hit the pedal when they drive em - so they are getting a "work out" - know what I mean! Ok so if you mod the car you know the history much better and how all that "hot pedal" driving is occuring.

There is maintenance to do on these cars - I bought one about 5 months ago and it was a 91 with 42k miles on it - silver and it's nice cosmetically, came with a folder of receipts and I've put over 6k in the car and all of it for deffered maintenance. Now did I have to do all that - maybe not - maybe - but most of it - yes I did. If these cars are dealer cars I would ask for records and if they don't have any - walk. Low miles is not the only indication you need to know that all the maintenance is done - most of what you find on an NSX is time driven as well as mileage driven.

IF you have good records with the cars you are mentioning let us know what they are - what you've found - then we can be even more helpful. I like low milers but like I said there is a lot of maintenance on these cars that have nothing to do with miles.

Tim,

What maintenance did you do for $6,000? Did you have the dealer do the work?

Hank

Tim,

What maintenance did you do for $6,000? Did you have the dealer do the work?

Hank

Hey Hank,

I'm not saying the ones you've found will need all the stuff mine did. I did not use a dealer. I took it from Houston where I bought it to a very good NSX mechanic - one of the best - Barney (the barn man). He's got a great rep. I replaced the clutch, the master and slave cylinder, replaced the Timing Belt(either 6 years or 90k miles (time issue)), water pump(cause it's right there and a 200 bucks), all coolant hoses (21 or 22 depending on if its automatic or manual), I replaced my steering rack(may not have had to but I did it had a little clunk or tiny bit of movement in it that is progressive) most do not have to do this and especially the ones your talking about with super low miles, I also replaced the coolant tank in the engine compartment, CV boots, fluids (tranny, oil, etc.), valve adjustment. I just recently replaced the shocks and springs - got a good deal on some late model ones. The ones your looking at may not need this but mine had Eibach springs and I changed them out cause I didn't need my car lower 1.25". That's just me. Some like that, too many driveways around here that are not level entry in Atlanta.

Now this may not be the list you will have to accomplish but I would surely be prepared for this at least some of it. The TB/WP/Hoses especially. It just depends on how the car was driven whether it would need a clutch. That's not a given but many times the master is leaking.

If I were you I would definitely look at the ones you've found but find a real good independant NSX expert in your area to check em out. Where are you located - we can help you find one. Anyway - these cars that are 19 years old just need stuff cause they're 19 years old. But if you're looking at a couple of real low milers they may be fine but I can just about bet you if they are at a dealer with no records - then you'll be looking at a minimum of 3k in maintenance - that's on the low end. I had an independant do mine at his own shop and my stuff cost me less than a dealer would charge plus there's some shared labor when you get into all the stuff I did. Now there are other things like the stereo and the AC. All that stuff and especially the AC/fan and speed switch - these things don't operate just great without being used. Not saying anything is wrong but you need to check it out carefully as with any old car. Just because these cars are Hondas doesn't mean they last forever without maintenance.

So it's not all about mods - I've just now gotten thru the maintenance stuff so I can think about mods myself. Still you must be used to super fast cars. Have you ever ridden in a stock NSX - taken any of these for a test drive? Just curious. You seem determined that Mods are necessary for you. That's fine - that's what some folks have to have. Many here do - many want them but haven't done them cause all that stuff costs big bucks. There is a great coil over KW -V3s I just found out about - fully adjustable and recommended by a guy that races seriously on here. Lots of good stuff. You're just getting into all this - there is a LOT to learn about these cars - take it slow. If you buy one - it won't be going anywhere - it's always a good idea to think thru this and use others experiences to really know what's best for you. Lots of collective intelligence here - you've only heard from a few. There are loads of us here.

I live in Huntsville Alabama. I have ridden and driven NSX's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Vette's, etc. but have never owned any of these cars. Went through the same process with a Miata many years ago. Did not do the FI. I have some understanding of brakes, and suspension. The forced Induction is another matter. I have mapped fuel injection before with my Harley.

The motor will be my last stop. I plan to do the suspension first. then tires, wheels, brakes. Then the motor. That is unless I get caught up in the maintenance trap you were caught up in. I would prefer to do the work myself. This won't be my primary vehicle. The work will be my therapy.

We have a very good Acura dealer here in Huntsville. I have confidence in the service department @ the dealer here. (For what that is Worth).

As I am close to Atlanta, any assistance would be welcome. I plan to go see one of the cars I found on Auto Trader at the end of the week. It is @ the Nissan Dealer in Gadsden. They tell me they have lots of maintenance records. We will see.

Googled the VIN, no info. Supposedly clean CARFAX. Years ago, I think CARFAX was a great tool. Not so sure today. Here is the good news, low milage and 3 owners. Assuming there is a good book on maintenance, this MAY be a good car even though the price is about $4K too high. The car was in Alabama back in 2004.

Right now, I ma suffering with bad bronchitis and the wife has me under house arrest. I did some work today, from home. Went back to the Doctor @ 4 this afternoon. He tells me I am not getting worse, opinions vary. At least no pneumonia.

OK, I'll play devil's advocate:
Been there, done that. You will have great fun modding your NSX, I did w/ my Elise. You will also lose your ass when you end up selling the car for less than it was worth without the mods. Buy a car that someone else has already modded and is 90% of what you want. Be happy w/ that and resist the temptation to do more. Spend the money you save on track time or buy a cheap race car. I

another thought, donning Nomex, I personally don't think the NSX motor is the most robust platform for FI. Certainly not like a K20a or Ecotec or even the 2ZZGE in the Lotus. Read all you can in the FI sub-forum here. Get a nicely modded, clean N/A car and be happy w/ the balance and overall driving experience of the NSX.

OK, I'll play devil's advocate:
Been there, done that. You will have great fun modding your NSX, I did w/ my Elise. You will also lose your ass when you end up selling the car for less than it was worth without the mods. Buy a car that someone else has already modded and is 90% of what you want. Be happy w/ that and resist the temptation to do more. Spend the money you save on track time or buy a cheap race car.

Listen to the Doctor, absolutely the right advice. You almost never get every dollar out of whatever "improvement" you make to virtually anything: cars, homes, etc. If you spend 20 grand on a pool you won't get a 20 grand increase in home value. In fact, I think that it may be an ever better exchange rate for a prospective NSX buyer since modding decreases the prospective buyer base.

If you are going to mod one anyway buy one that someone else has done but done right. Plenty pass through the Market here on Prime and I'd sooner trust one that came from inside this community than out.

Listen to the Doctor, absolutely the right advice. You almost never get every dollar out of whatever "improvement" you make to virtually anything: cars, homes, etc. If you spend 20 grand on a pool you won't get a 20 grand increase in home value. In fact, I think that it may be an ever better exchange rate for a prospective NSX buyer since modding decreases the prospective buyer base.

If you are going to mod one anyway buy one that someone else has done but done right. Plenty pass through the Market here on Prime and I'd sooner trust one that came from inside this community than out.

Very, very good points. Difference is 65 miles verses over 200 for the next closest in in for sale list that I would consider. I am not excited about purchasing a car long distance, regardless of what it might be. PPI's in my opinion are worthless unless you know the inspector. This means I will need to travel to the vehicle, inspect it, and either truck or drive it home. One of the cars on the list which has caught my eye is this one:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131580

Newer vehicle, price is a reach but low mileage, no mods too wild and I like the color. But the car is in LA. Do I order a PPI (that I view as worthless) then I send him a check and order the truck to pick her up, or fly out and look at it then either drive it home or fly home. No matter how much I like the vehicle that's a PITA. Taking a week to go pick it up and get her home would be a blast, I just can't be away from work that long. This is where I am.

I am not excited about purchasing a car long distance, regardless of what it might be. PPI's in my opinion are worthless unless you know the inspector. This means I will need to travel to the vehicle, inspect it, and either truck or drive it home. One of the cars on the list which has caught my eye is this one:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131580

Taking a week to go pick it up and get her home would be a blast, I just can't be away from work that long. This is where I am.

Hank, many Primers have purchased their NSX's and driven them home finding it to be a rewarding, bonding experience. You seem adverse to it so I am assuming that you have not yet driven an NSX or at least not over any appreciable distance. My trip was from St Louis to Cincinnati, a short 4 hour trip but what a great trip it was. Other Primers have driven 12 and as I recall 20+ hours and have posted about what a great experience it was. It is not an arduous experience in the type of car that the NSX is.

Huntsville puts you in the middle of a pretty generous area to go get an NSX. 500 miles is about a 7 hour trip and 700 about a ten, easily knocked out in an NSX and at the end of that you may still lament arriving at your destination. Perhaps you so not flat out enjoy driving as much as some of us do- and certainly not as much as Hugh. That area gets you a HUGE area of the US- to the tip of Florida, Houston, Dallas, to the Atlantic Ocean, Lake Erie, OK City- you get the point.

I have bought 6 cars on the Internet. What has determined how I proceeded was the comfort level that I had established in the seller during negotiations and communication prior to pick-up. Some I have brought cash and some I have wired in advance. Here's a good recent thread that adequately details payment options: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132397 and through it I discovered that you can do a wire and release the funds upon inspection of the vehicle- I didn't know that. The funds post quickly to the seller's account and you can be on your way. My NSX I bought from a long-time Primer and bought it sight unseen (except for poor pics), wiring him the funds in advance. The car was WAY better than I had hoped and we have maintained a relationship since purchase. Your experience may vary...

The link you posted is from an active, contributing Primer, that immediately gives me a good comfort level. So many tales of washed titles, inaccurate Carfaxes, etc and a good recent one here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45475 so the only way I would buy would be from an active, tenured Primer.

The price you said is a stretch but you said that you were going to buy an NSX and put 30K into it, to me that gave me the impression that you were in the 60K neighborhood. I understand that those are mods that you would do over time but what is it worth to save in the long run? Are you willing to be "car poor" for a little while to save in the end?

Last edited:
Low miles un modified is nice cause you start out with a car that you know. It starts out fresh and you are the one that is driving it from the start of serious mods like Super chargers. I will say this - anyone that puts a super charger on their car is ready to hit the pedal when they drive em - so they are getting a "work out" - know what I mean! Ok so if you mod the car you know the history much better and how all that "hot pedal" driving is occuring.

Sorry Tim, I disagree.

My NSX was highly modified and topped off with what is probably the most unjustly maligned SC, the BBSC. However the owner was a mature one, a tenured Primer and did compression tests that checked out so I bought it without reservation. I drive it hard, have tracked it and it has been one of the most satisfying purchases that I have made, maybe the most aside from Lasik.

I would agree however, that when driving a SC'd NSX you do a little more work. But the fun in catching one when breaking traction in 2nd or 3rd when VTEC (yo) comes in is not what I consider "effort".

Sorry Tim, I disagree.

My NSX was highly modified and topped off with what is probably the most unjustly maligned SC, the BBSC. However the owner was a mature one, a tenured Primer and did compression tests that checked out so I bought it without reservation. I drive it hard, have tracked it and it has been one of the most satisfying purchases that I have made, maybe the most aside from Lasik.

I would agree however, that when driving a SC'd NSX you do a little more work. But the fun in catching one when breaking traction in 2nd or 3rd when VTEC (yo) comes in is not what I consider "effort".

Curt, all good points and now after reading DocL's stuff I highly agree with you. The real point being that you can't recoup the money you spend in mods especially when you get to SCs and heavy suspension mods - what would that be - I should say expensive suspension mods. For example if you put KW V3s on the car - great coil over - you would not expect someone to pay you the 2100 you spent on them when sale time came around. Many folks with late model cars like the one "why" writes us about in CA - the 01 with low miles for 43k + /_ sounds like one I wouldn't be choosing for modding unless I had tons of bucks - but then if you have tons of bucks maybe you want a Lambo - I don't know what kind of logic "why" is employing but that's for him to decide. If I were doing it not trying to spend a fortune I'd either find a reasonable mile car in the 91 to 93 catagory that I wouldn't mind dropping the 30k into - and for the life of me I would think you gotta really be looking for serious mods to spend that much on an NSX, but ....or as I said buy one that is modded like DocL mentions - you both make great points.

I guess I wasn't thinking about it like you guys were. I really get your point. Actually the only way to look at it. So I agree. The only caveat I guess I was throwing out there was that there have been some that blow up - and anyone working a car hard with an SC doing a lot of heavy footing on a track is definitely wearing the car out faster than one not treated that way. So if you want one that has a lot of life left in it - not considering the money angle - buy one that isn't modded and do it all yourself. Now there are always exceptions to that and a good mature primer with great records and a good comfort level as you mention are all reasons to buy one modded. But that has it's own special qualifiers doesn't it.

That's all I'm saying. Thanks for your comments Curt.

First off, I am absolutely not opposed to buying and driving home. But, I am headed into my trade show season which translates into lots and lots of road time. This year, all of my shows are driving distance. I guess where this leaves me is that I will step back and look at targets of opportunity as they come up. A trip to Atlanta, Louisville, or Pensacola is no big deal.

Just need to keep my eyes open. And run to Gadsden Friday afternoon.

Thanks.

First off, I am absolutely not opposed to buying and driving home. But, I am headed into my trade show season which translates into lots and lots of road time. This year, all of my shows are driving distance. I guess where this leaves me is that I will step back and look at targets of opportunity as they come up. A trip to Atlanta, Louisville, or Pensacola is no big deal.

Just need to keep my eyes open. And run to Gadsden Friday afternoon.

Thanks.

Maybe one of your shows will be in a town with a prospect NSX. You could fly to that one, have time to get a PPI, transfer funds or however you do it and drive it back from the show.

Buy a round trip ticket though in case it doesn't work out. Also since TSA might give you a cavity search if you try to fly one-way... :wink:

Your plans are pretty well the same as what I did with mine. I found a structurally and mechanically sound car for a low price that was panned by a lot of potential buyers due to its past and then proceeded to mod the piss out of it.

Over $30K later and I'm still loving every moment of ownership.

I don't expect to ever recoup the costs I've put into it, but the journey has been most of the fun for me. This car is a constant work in progress and I've enjoyed its evolution.

If you plan to do this, I hope you plan to keep it forever. If you're one to change cars a lot, just find a nice one and drive it till you're sick of it. Modding NSX's is not for the feint of heart.

...now back to my turbo and '02 conversion research... :rolleyes:

Your plans are pretty well the same as what I did with mine. I found a structurally and mechanically sound car for a low price that was panned by a lot of potential buyers due to its past and then proceeded to mod the piss out of it.

I don't expect to ever recoup the costs I've put into it, but the journey has been most of the fun for me. This car is a constant work in progress and I've enjoyed its evolution.

If you plan to do this, I hope you plan to keep it forever. If you're one to change cars a lot, just find a nice one and drive it till you're sick of it. Modding NSX's is not for the feint of heart.

...now back to my turbo and '02 conversion research... :rolleyes:

A very good piece of advice in my most humble opinion....

John: Help me to understand, 30K in mods or 30K total?
Either way, if 30K is the number for the mods and 10K is their value- tops -after depreciation if pre-installed, then are you saying that the cost of the journey was 20K and at that price a value?

I'm cheap man. 20K is 6K more than I paid for my kid's nicely modded Fit Sport. 6K buys you a pretty nice sportbike nowadays. Journey or two nice extra dimensions? I dunno...

Like Curt I'm having a tough time knowing how you spent 30k just on mods and no maintenance items. I mean how do you buy an old NSX and not have some of that be maintenance. Heck I've spent about 6k on my 91 with 44k miles on it and all of that was maintenance! I haven't had time nor funds for anything but maintenance. Now I'm at the end of that but - mods are kind of making me wonder... But the journey is fun.

Back