Buying a car out of state

Was wondering what the government charges (DMV) I would have to pay after purchasing a car outside the state of CALIFORNIA? Or any ensuing charges whatsoever. Looking to buy in the $40K-45K range. Thanks.

ONLY10S said:
Was wondering what the government charges (DMV) I would have to pay after purchasing a car outside the state of CALIFORNIA? Or any ensuing charges whatsoever. Looking to buy in the $40K-45K range. Thanks.
Sales tax and license like any car bought in state.

If you buy the car out of state and do not bring it into the state for 90 days, you do not have to pay sales tax. You sign a form (under perjury) stating this when you register the car....

You also need it smogged and inspected in CA. If you have AAA, the inspection can be done by them.

I believe that it's a technicality that assumes that during the 90 days prior, you were a resident of the originating state and had registered the car there. When you eventually bring it into California, it would be treated not as a title/ownership transfer, but simply a new California registration due to relocation.

I have found that when you bring your NSX into California that was purchased out of state, most of them seem to be cheaper when you get to the DMV or AAA. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Those DMV Rat Turds:

Existing law imposes a use tax on a vehicle purchased outside of California and brought into California within 90 days of purchase. New legislation effective October 1, 2004 through July 1, 2006 requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date. Any sales taxes paid out-of-state will be considered when computing the use tax due this state. This fee is due for ownership transfer of recently purchased vehicles.

You know not that long ago it was 30 days.
Then they switched it to 90 days
and now a WHOLE YEAR.

I'm not even sure you should pay taxes every transfer of a used car to somebody else...the tax was paid already when the car was new.

I just can't wait until the gubbmint decides that all Ebay sales need to be taxed to, as I suspect they "should" be.

Drew

Back