Buying 91 NSX

My esteemed enthusiasts.
I have no mechanical training in cars, but I plan on buying an older model NSX in the next few weeks.

Nevermind. I just found it in the FAQ.
Thanks.
Bob

Last edited:
Where is the car now? I'm in Huntsville and have had my car at Jerry Damson once for an alignment and they do only have 1 NSX mechanic. I might know the car if its been in HSV.

It is unlikely that each cylinder is 210 psi, rather, around that. Assuming the range is correct, it is not unlikely at all.

A leak down test, as I recall reading, is a better barometer of engine health over a psi test in each cylinder.

What is the mileage of the car, price he is asking, and has all the service been done? Yes, he may have a dedicated mechanic, but that does not mean he has paid for all service...timing belt, water pump etc...

Also, is it in snap-ring range?

Congrats on your find. I hope it works out for you...

Assuming the mileage is not all that high, I wouldn't be too worried about compression test reults. However, if it has been boosted in the past, I would get a leak-down test. Get the tranny number and check for snap ring range. See FAQ's

you probably want to get the Coolant hoses replaced while your getting other stuff done, nothing like white smoke from the engine bay to give you a heart attack :biggrin:

at least the 2 big fat ones, as i recall i think that a number of 91's had their hoses recalled because the hoses became soft and burst easily, not a big deal, but if you get any work done its worth checking out

Back