Buy extreme low mi 91 or avg mi 95?

I am considering a black/black 6K mi 1991 vs. red/black 35K mile 1995 and/or 42K mi 1995. 1991 owner has had the car in storage and has only recently begun driving the car. He says the car was stored for "show" (whatever that means) until Dec 02 and that until that time the car had only 72 miles. Owner also says that he consulted with Honda engineers while the car was in storage and that Honda recommended he run the car at idle for 20 min per month to preserve the car (says he did). 91 car is represented as being in "perfect" condition and owner is asking 40K. 1995 models are, of course, going for 42,000- 46,000 from what I have seen. Window regulators have not been changed in the 91 and the 91 is not in snap ring range. This will be my second NSX, my first was a 1991 and I had no issues except the regulators. I plan to drive the car 5 min to work 3-4 days per week, nice days only, keep the car about three years and put aprox 8K mi per year on it. Looking for opinions on reliability and best resale prospects 3-4 years from now. Opinions?

It depends if you want a new car or if you want a used car.
I opted for a perfect 91, black/ivory. It had 2,997 miles when I took delivery of it in 1999. It was perfect, brand new without a chip or scratch. It of course still smells new. I also knew that black cars like the NSX start to look ratty as the miles increase, even a few thousand miles without a nose mask it will start to show chips, so I am diligent about driving with the nose mask on. I am glad that I got a super low mileage NSX. It was worth it.

That said, this is my last black sportscar. It is unfortunately the best NSX color in my opinion for 1991.

Thanks for the reply. My first NSX was red and I put about 20K miles on it without really noticing many chips. How is your black car holding up? You took delivery in 1999 and how many miles have you put on it and how are the chips? I am looking at 2 red cars in addition to the black one. What do you think as far as the paint staying in good shape?

Also, any one else got an opinion about the low mi 1991 vs a newer model year?

i am a neat/clean phreak when it comes to my car. but i can honestly say I will NEVER NEVER NEVER own a dark color car again...It was soo hard to take car of my black NSX, very hard to clean and detail.

Now that I've thought about it, I guess the "real" question is whether the 1991 car will have problems with the rubber bits, timing belt (ie., will the T-belt need to be changed immediately), etc. just from the car not having been driven? I noticed a discussion about tires getting old in another thread ... Perhaps I am just being paranoid, but I am leaning toward the low mileage car and I just dont want to buy into a bunch of problems in the interest of saving a few bucks.

My car now has 10,800 miles and the nose is still pretty perfect. I haven't driven many miles without a nose mask though. Of course there are a few hood chips though. The worst damage is from the 235 front and 285 rear tires (road rash). I am downsizing my next set of tires.

I do agree with bayarea1999, no dark colors if you are a neat freak!

I would recommend going with the newest and best condition NSX that you can afford. If a T top is importaint, then look for a 95 or newer.

Go by condition, not miles. A nicely cared for 60K mile car can be in better condition than a beat 6K mile car.

My car now has 10,800 miles and the nose is still pretty perfect. I haven't driven many miles without a nose mask though. Of course there are a few hood chips though. The worst damage is from the 235 front and 285 rear tires (road rash). I am downsizing my next set of tires.

I do agree with bayarea1999, no dark colors if you are a neat freak!

Whatever car you get, make sure it is well-maintained. Regardless of miles, things like fluids and rubber parts should be changed periodically. If you buy a car that hasn't had any scheduled maintenance, at a minimum you will need to perform the entire maintenance schedule, and it still might not be as good as one which was serviced regularly. This is true of any car - '91, '95, or even a non-NSX.

You should also consider whether you prefer the additional rigidity and lower weight of the '91, or the ability to remove the roof on the '95 for open-air motoring.

more homework on 91 car

BMillar said:
Now that I've thought about it, I guess the "real" question is whether the 1991 car will have problems with the rubber bits, timing belt (ie., will the T-belt need to be changed immediately), etc. just from the car not having been driven?
I'd also suggest checking on applicable TSBs, and see if they have been remediated on this car -- snap-ring, coolant hoses, window regulators, etc.

The low-mile older car may have implications on wear items that are more time-based (as opposed to mileage-based). This would include all rubber parts/seals/hoses, all fluids, that are subject to deterioration over time, as well as moving rubber parts (drive belts, timing belts, etc) that MIGHT have weakened over time, and whose failure might cause significant downside.

###########

I got my 93 in 1998 with 8K miles, and I was fortunate to find a low-mile car in great shape.

Re: more homework on 91 car

nsx1164 said:
I'd also suggest checking on applicable TSBs, and see if they have been remediated on this car -- snap-ring, coolant hoses, window regulators, etc.

He said it's not in snap ring range.

If you get the '91, I would replace the coolant hoses, and install the window fix-it thingies, which I bet it still needs.

Back