Buy an out of state car (CA resident)

So I found a car I liked thats in Colodrado. The car has 5500 miles on it. I know to get it into CA, it either has to have a CA certified stamp, or over 7500 miles on the odometer. But to my luck the car is CA certified. Anyway...

I was just wondering how all the paperwork works? Taxes? registration? Is it more expensive than buying a car from CA? Anyone with experience with good tips?

Thanx in advance!

Buying an NSX from another state isn't a problem. I bought mine from North Dakota and drove it back to California. All NSXs have a big white sticker on the engine firewall and at the bottom there is a statement that the vehicle meets California emissions. I pointed this out to the DMV inspector during the vehicle inspection. Produced my smog certificate, paid the registration fee (based on a percentage of the purchase price) and the received my license plates and title.

Helpful Hint...

Get it CA smogged before you go to DMV. It will save you a trip to DMV hell!

All good advice.

Get smog certificate - the seller's responsibility (in CA anyway). Good for 60 days from the test date for DMV to accept.

Will need purchase price reciept - you CA taxes will be based on the amount you REPORT to the DMV (if you get my meaning).

All US NSX'a are good in CA.

Mine came from Arizona.

If you are a AAA member, their office will take care of the DMV transfer.

b.gill said:
All good advice.

Get smog certificate - the seller's responsibility (in CA anyway). Good for 60 days from the test date for DMV to accept.

Will need purchase price reciept - you CA taxes will be based on the amount you REPORT to the DMV (if you get my meaning).

All US NSX'a are good in CA.

Mine came from Arizona.

If you are a AAA member, their office will take care of the DMV transfer.

AAA will process private party purchases. However they won't process dealer purchases. They said that DMV will not allow what they call complex transfers. Having bought a used car (private party) and a new car(dealer), both from out of state, I found out the hard way. It seems backwards to me.

Back