buy a nsx, 996 carrera, or m3 smg?

I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. I'm deciding between 97+ nsx, 00+ 996 carrera coupe, or 02+ m3 smg. I've driven all 3 before and all three are fun to drive. I'm leaning towards the m3 since its newer model. But I miss owning a nsx (96) and the carrera is a nice classy sports car.

Hi NSXtacey,

This is the NSX forum so you probably know...Yes buy the NSX!..
The 911s and the M3s are great cars dont get me wrong but the NSX holds its own...Timeless Beauty!!!

Where I live...I'm lucky to see one on the road once every two years...others?...almost everyday!

Follow your heart.....u can't go wrong!!!

:D :D

Good Luck!

If you want a Bimmer, don't take the normal M3 - go for the CSL - much better SMG and track behaviour (lighter! street legal track tires). I'm afraid to say it beats an unmodded NSX with OEM tires on the track...(if the driver's skills are comparable) - on Hockenheim short course about 4 seconds faster in a car mag test, that's a whole world there.

With these three cars, and the fact that you've driven all three, I've got to believe that in your heart, only one of them really appeals to you, and you're trying to talk yourself into considering the other two options because you're just not sure. If that's the case, then get the one that truly appeals to you.

People don't buy an expensive sports car (or high performance sedan) just for its practical considerations. They get it because they want it (i.e. lust after it). Get the one you want.

If none of them really strikes a longing in your heart, then you shouldn't buy any of them.

tuff choices.

Something to think about if you plan to track your car, the 3.4L 996's have significant oil starvation issues on the track. I know of 2 people know got rid of their 996's due to this. One ended up buying a 993, the other a 996 turbo with the 3.6 L block

good luck

I'm guessing since you had owned a NSX before, you're considering the other two just for the sake of having something different. It'll real boil down to what other vehicles you own and what your intent for the car will be. In my case, I want something very sporty and real don't care about the practical aspects of it since I own a 7 passenger SUV as well. The things I'm after are something that gives me a sports car/race car feel and reliability. Since it'll be my daily driver, I'll definitely want it to appeal to my visual senses, too. To me, the NSX looks the best and is the most reliable of the cars that you've listed. The 996 is a capable car, but have never been crazy on the looks as it reminds me of it's cousin, the VW bug. Aside from some aggressive hints, the M3 looks like a regular 3 series bimmer. I've driven one on a few occasions and it just doesn't give me that race car feeling. It has a lot of power, but I still think it's overweight. In addition, I like the removable top of the NSX, too. But hey, that's just me. =)

nsxtacey said:
I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. I'm deciding between 97+ nsx, 00+ 996 carrera coupe, or 02+ m3 smg. I've driven all 3 before and all three are fun to drive. I'm leaning towards the m3 since its newer model. But I miss owning a nsx (96) and the carrera is a nice classy sports car.

Back