ButtonWilow Apr 6,7

Hey man, it's Adrian with the Blue Mazdaspeed 3 (and the NSX). I'm really interested in going on Sunday can you PM me your number? I want to ask you a few questions about doing HPDEs with NASA...
Thanks!

Car is down at the moment. Shooting for NASA-SoCal @ Buttonwillow weekend of June 1. Hope to see ya then!

wont we able to make this one but i'll be out there with another group on the 11th ;) not to thread jack, but as a NSX driver what are some of the tendencies of these car at this track?

wont we able to make this one but i'll be out there with another group on the 11th ;) not to thread jack, but as a NSX driver what are some of the tendencies of these car at this track?

I've only done Buttonwillow Config #13 going Clockwise and this event is Counter Clockwise.
Overall though, the biggest thing you gotta lookout for is snap oversteer. I find this has a tendency to happen in three main situations on my car:
1) When trail braking into a corner. If not done just right, it goes right around (like into the sweeper)
2) While in a corner and tapping the brakes (like at the BusStop or through the Esses)
3) A poor gear change mid-corner (usually a downshift like coming onto the front straight)

Last edited:
Depends on what is done to the car. If you have the rear beam bushings replaced with the spherical stuff and sway bars then the experience will be totally different than if not. Tire compound and brake upgrades are a big question mark, if you list some of your mods you'll get alittle better info. but the general rules are

-remove everything from the car before getting in the track, dont have stuff hanging from you mirror
-Check your lug nut torque just before each session is starting, dont check it when its hot, you may snap a stud.
- check your wheel pressures when cold then check them again when they are hot, I like to run my tires lower than everyone suggests (about 34-36 hot psi) it works better for my car and set up. Find a hot pressure that makes the car feel stable, Have a look at the side walls and if you see roll over scuffing on the side walls up the PSI a bit.
- Turn OFF Traction Control when your on the track, it'll make you spin more than itll help you.
- When I first started tracking my car I disabled the ABS once I got to the track, You can jump on of the orange ABS connectors with a paper clip to keep the abs motor from trying to kick on (you can search on which one, i dont remember since I took my ABS out completely once i starting tracking more and more.) My ABS would engage randomly and spit up fluid all over the front bay, and spray over the under carrage onto the back wheels and onto the track, not cool. jumping the connector keeps the ABS inert while your learning.
- triple check your hood is closed and you didnt leave any tools on the rail preventing it from closing all the way.
- go easy on the throttle the USDM LSD starts to act a bit weird, youll hear it spin up the rear inside wheel then it'll come alive suddenly and hook up, not scary if your ready for it but the situation is exacerbated when the trans oil and tires are hot you'll probably feel it happen once or twice when on the sweeper in the back. definitely a NSX quirk.

You'll have a great time. Just start slow remember that its not a race. If its your first time ever on a track it will take about two session for your nerves to settle enough to start to feel what the car is responding to and telling you.

Also remember, because you are driving an NSX you will have a huge target on you from other drivers, every one wants to get "1991 civic LS beats an NSX" video to upload to YouTube. Its just the nature of tracking one of these. In reality these cars are chalked full of old technology (see ABS, LSD, Rear compliance beam, low HP) but people still think they are fire breathing monsters that drive themselves. they aren't, and they don't. They ARE in fact awesome and the most rewarding track car i've ever owned- My NSX has stock power but a very complete suspension and aero package and usually ends up being quicker than 98% of the 'more capable, faster, newer' cars that show up.

Here is a year old video that i put together of some laps at BW#13. the lines are not dead on to what i drive now and have since shaved 4 seconds off the times but they are close enough to get you head around the track a few times.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VZtjhrjCehU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>

Last edited:
holy cow, Thanks for all that! Good to know about the abs, trac and diff.

Car is a stock 91 on 15/16s wrapped in nt01s, which I plan on running about 37 PSI hot. doesn't look like much or a threshold braking track so may just have to try it without abs. Brakes are oe less motul 600, some front Ferodo DS2500 and porterfield r4 pads.

Driver is seasoned on track just haven't had a MR car come out from under me before...

Happa88 - thanks, will look out for that.

Last edited:
+1 on everything illwillem says. He's da man and can drive this car super fast on the track.

If you're running NT01s the only thing I might advise would make sure you have adequate brake cooling.. like the larger Dali brake deflectors or something (or full ducting if you can). Otherwise the pads and fluid seem good.

If you have the OEM ABS installed it can be disabled by pulling up on the parking brake 1 click. Then driving around the paddock area for about a block's distance. You'll see the ABS light illuminate and stay lit. At which point you can release the parking brake back down. The ABS will be disabled until you turn off and turn on your car again.

I also second the thing about the NSX being a "big target"... everyone and their mom will be after you out there.. just let them go..

Also, be careful too of "lift-off" oversteer. I meant to add that to the list. Like braking mid-corner, lifting off the throttle midcorner can unsettle the car. The weight of the car transfers to the front wheels making the rears light (and therefore have less traction), causing the rear to come around. If you're quick you can catch it by applying a little more throttle.. but it takes nerves and practice..

If you are are an experienced tracker in other cars,and have a sensitive behind as you work the rear nsx suspension you may feel a little wiggle or an unsettling twitch..fear not,that is the rubber in your bushings ect compressing and taking a set..thats why most guys who track alot go to the noncompliance stuff.

Thanks Hapa :]

Watch out for the lift-off oversteer in riverside when driving configuration cw13, Its easy to be brave in the beginning of that corner then have second thoughts when you get near the apex. Theres a little bobble in the pavement just after the apex and if you lift off there you'll go around at for sure. Since you dont have the solid rear bushings and are just getting the hang of the MR layout at the track Id caution you to start the entry to riverside at about mid-speed and gradually accelerate all the way through till the left kink before Phil Hill. Its the most Ballsy corner on the track with speeds that are typically 100+. its better to really get the feel of it for the first day.

Hey everyone just got home from our weekend at BW. Had a great time however not a fan of 13CCW config. I feel its a faster track the other way. Either way got my TT licence finally! For me I found leaving the ABS on was a big help. I agree with all the comments as far as driving the course. I know that Happa nd illwillem are faster than me and they know there stuff! Can't wait to see you guys at the next event. Here is a link to my vid.
http://youtu.be/5qaZDagaFdU

Good for you. No, no points (to my knowledge) for the ducted hood. I assume you did take the points for your undertray? I'm screwed when I finally go TT. I've done the calculations and I'm in B with 1 point left. If I change a friggin tire I get bumped to TT-3.

If the undertray does not extend aft of the front axle than there are no points. I know as a ttb car in so cal I won't be very competitive but its still fun. I think the car should be classed as a ttc plus 7 pts.

We need to all plan a track day so we have all 3 so cal nsx dudes at the track!

Last edited:
Back