Business books

What business books have you enjoyed or do you swear by? I have read "7 Habits" and "First Things First" by Steven Covey, as well as "Northbound Train" (can't remember the author). I havn't yet read "Who Moved My Cheese?" though I have heard great things.

What do you suggest, and why?

Who Moved My Cheese was ok. I didn't think it was as amazing as people built it up to be. Most of what it said seemed pretty obvious. It's a quick read and probably worth the time tho.

I just ordered a bunch of books on business/management/work ethic that may be of interest to you. I'm not sure what your work situation is, but I'm a computer engineer with only about 2-3 years real work experiance. I'm trying to weigh my options and determine what direction I want to take my work/future education in so I ordered the following books hoping that they'll help me decide. I haven't read them yet, but I'll update you as i do if u want.

-Sun Tzu and the Art of Business: Six Strategic Principles for Managers
-As the Future Catches You: How Genomics & Other Forces Are Changing Your Life, Work, Health & Wealth
-The Transparency Edge: How Credibility Can Make or Break You in Business
-Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money--That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
-The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
-Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
-Love It, Don't Leave It: 26 Ways to Get What You Want at Work

All of these got pretty good comments on Amazon. Hope it helps.

Miss Peters, You Were Wrong by Peter Daniels. Psuedo business related.

Hammer, biography of Armand Hammer.

ive generally found most books in this type are pretty lame, state a lot of the obvious.

Parable books are more interesting and more motivational. Og Mandino's "the greatest saleman in the world" is a great read (and not all about sales like you might think).

"who moved the cheese" was a pretty good read. Again, a parable format. There was another book all about 'paradigm shifts' but i cant remember author or title--just the punchline anecdote.

gheba_nsx said:
I found "One Minute Manager" to only express obvious things... I stopped at 3/4 of the book. :(

So you read "The 45 Second Manager"! :D

I didn't really like that one either, but "Raving Fans" is in the parable style, which I find to be more effective for me (and Huckster too).

Back