Bumper plastic heat warpage

I have a brooklands green '94 NSX... Has any of you guys been having problems with
the front bumper right below the headlights starting to warp? Mine seems to now
be permanently warped, but it looks even worse when in direct sun and heat.

Would there be any cheap way to fix or prevent this from happening? I'll probably
repaint my bumper in a year or so, but its pretty lame that it warps so easily in
the sun.

Hy Kenji,I was under the impression that this happens to all dark cars in direct sunlight.No real worries.

My '91 Black does the same thing, fortunately it is the same on both sides of the hood (just past BOTH headlights).

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 06 August 2002).]

Hi Kenji,
While my Green NSX was on display at the recent AutoZotica event, it was very warm out and I did notice the plastic bumper just below the headlights was "sagging". You could only notice it from an angle, but it was there. I thought it was maybe the aftermath of an accident, to where the body shop forgot the brace in to hold up that part of the bumper.

But I'm glad to see other dark colored cars have the same "problem".

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Stock as a rock - #0030

Just curious if any of the RED NSX owners experienced the same prob. the Green and Black NSX owners have with regards to front bumper warpage? An aye or nay answer would be appreciated...
smile.gif

Originally posted by Zanardi 50:
Just curious if any of the RED NSX owners experienced the same prob. the Green and Black NSX owners have with regards to front bumper warpage? An aye or nay answer would be appreciated...
smile.gif

Nay on my '91.

I have noticed this warping and sagging from so called aftermarket OEM bumpers. Although they come within OEM standards, appear to fit and look perfect they are not the "Genuine Honda Parts". Most all body shops use these so called OEM parts because it gives them a better profit margin. OEM is not the same as Genuine Honda Parts...

Choritsu-shi

Originally posted by Sensei:
I have noticed this warping and sagging from so called aftermarket OEM bumpers. Although they come within OEM standards, appear to fit and look perfect they are not the "Genuine Honda Parts". Most all body shops use these so called OEM parts because it gives them a better profit margin. OEM is not the same as Genuine Honda Parts...

I've seen this sagging and warping before, and it was on NSXs that had never had any body repair. The OEM bumpers were misshapen. It was noticeable on dark colored cars and seemed to worsen when they were hot from sitting in the sun.

Also, I doubt that anyone makes aftermarket body parts (as OEM knock-offs) for the NSX. The market is too small for the dies and machining they would need.

I noticed that the area after my headlights is sagging, how can I fix this? Anyone notice the same thing? I have a 91 black/black.

kenjiMR said:
I have a brooklands green '94 NSX... Has any of you guys been having problems with
the front bumper right below the headlights starting to warp? Mine seems to now
be permanently warped, but it looks even worse when in direct sun and heat.

Would there be any cheap way to fix or prevent this from happening? I'll probably
repaint my bumper in a year or so, but its pretty lame that it warps so easily in
the sun.

I'm another Brooklands owner here that experiences the warpage. :redface:

My 91 black does it bad.... not only in front of the headlights but also between them...

Attachments

• nsx_bumper_1.jpg
    nsx_bumper_1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 154
  • nsx_bumper_2.jpg
    nsx_bumper_2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 189
  • nsx_bumper_3.jpg
    nsx_bumper_3.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 175
thouchin said:
My 91 black does it bad.... not only in front of the headlights but also between them...

OUCH! looks like saggy lower eyelids. Plastic (urethane) surgeon STAT!:smile:

Regards,

Danny

Your just gonna have to buy a new bumper and keep it in the garage more.

Sorry to bump a 9-yr old thread, but has anyone found a solution to this? Maybe epoxy some aluminum sheet or L-channels underneath the bumper to straighten and stiffen them?

I wonder if that spray foam crack filler, when the bumper is cold and less warpy, would hold it in place? Just an idea, but I'm not going to be the one testing this idea. I would be afraid that as the stuff expands it would make bulges appear. My 1991 Berlina does sag, but it could be worse, and what a mess that foam stuff can make.

I wonder if some of these cars have had modification work done that's contributed. e.g. replace front steel bumper with aluminium bar to reduce weight but didn't refit the large foam and small aluminium packing pieces properly, or even left them out

I wonder if some of these cars have had modification work done that's contributed. e.g. replace front steel bumper with aluminium bar to reduce weight but didn't refit the large foam and small aluminium packing pieces properly, or even left them out

I'm pretty sure mine hasn't. Here it is last weekend.
autox03.jpg

Back