Breathing problem...?

Lately I noticed that (ok more like starting from last year after a "party") I don't quite feel "right." No matter how long I slept I always wake up tired. It seems to me that I'm always yawning and feel the need for air. This in term makes my head feel unclear/hazy. But I have no problem running a mile in 5:30, playing active sport for 3+ hours, or keeping my grades up... What's wrong with me? Is my breathing pattern somehow disturbed?

I already setup an appointment with my doctor. Is there anything I should take notes on before I go in? Anything I can do at this point? My brain/mind doesn't feel as sharp as it use to and I don't seem as alert.

Help :(

MsKadyB said:
Could it be mononucleiosis?

I had blood test done and everything was normal...

Originally posted by BrianK
Do you snore? Sleep apnea comes to mind.

Normally I don't... I don't wake up at night either though... Sleep apnea doesn't really explain why my brain/mind feel hazy/unclear all throughout the day or is that an effect of sleep apnea? I yawn a lot... :(

I find it interesting that you included in your post a starting reference point of this problem after having attended a "party."

Why specifically at this point did you start noticing? Maybe something happened that night that made you ill?

Zuerst said:
Sleep apnea doesn't really explain why my brain/mind feel hazy/unclear all throughout the day or is that an effect of sleep apnea? I yawn a lot... :(

I'm no M.D. but my cousin suffers from that and he had the same symptoms. If I remember right, sleep apnea is usually occuring after heavy snoring which is cause for not getting a good rest when sleeping. Ask your significant other or record yourself with a camera while sleeping. Good luck

i feel like that usually also, and dont feel rested even after sleeping for 11+ hours but i figured its just because im fat. my grandpa has sleep apnea and has to use some kind of machine when he sleeps. also when youre diagnosed with it they revoke your drivers license and you have to retake the test. when i went to thailand with my family i stayed in a room with my brother and he said that i would snore really loud and then stop breathing for a bit then start again which is sleep apnea i guess but i dont feel like going through the hassle.

Do exactly what you are doing,,see your doctor!

There is such thing as a sleep apnea study in which you are monitored by professionals while you are sleeping. The procedure is even reimbursed by most insurance companies.

Has there been any changes in your life such as diet, new medications, new job, etc? It could be something as simple as allergies or asthma. I would assume it's very difficult to diagnose something like that for Dr's.

Good luck

I used to feel the same way.... as soon as I stopped smoking crack for breakfast and mainlining crank right before bed, my head started to clear and I regained some of my old energy.

LeftLane said:
I used to feel the same way.... as soon as I stopped smoking crack for breakfast and mainlining crank right before bed, my head started to clear and I regained some of my old energy.

I starting noticing this problem after a party where I smoked (in great amount) for the first time... I also have this habbit of hold my breath during parties that have excess smoke be it cigarettes or other smokes... What exactly is mainlining crank? Left weights? Could smoking that one night be it? Or is it psychological? ie. guilt factor? :(

I don't know if it's sleep apnea... I feel this almost all day long especially so if I'm idle or try to read or study. My weight is normal for my height and I exercise regulary (most of the time heavy exercise) without problem...

I haven't brought this up with my doc or an ENT last few times I meet them, maybe they'll have more suggestions...

Untill then I think I owe it to myself to get regular rest since I have very irregulary sleep pattern for the past 2 or so years...

Last edited:
Zuerst said:
Lately I noticed that (ok more like starting from last year after a "party") I don't quite feel "right." No matter how long I slept I always wake up tired. It seems to me that I'm always yawning and feel the need for air. This in term makes my head feel unclear/hazy. But I have no problem running a mile in 5:30, playing active sport for 3+ hours, or keeping my grades up... What's wrong with me? Is my breathing pattern somehow disturbed?

I already setup an appointment with my doctor. Is there anything I should take notes on before I go in? Anything I can do at this point? My brain/mind doesn't feel as sharp as it use to and I don't seem as alert.

Help :(

If you can run a mile in 5:30, play active sports for 3+ hours it is likely you have nothing wrong with you, but I agree with the others that it is worth getting checked out by a doctor. Things to consider are diabetes (are you drinking or urinating excessively?), hypothyroidism (cold intolerance, weight gain), valley fever if you're in the western Texas area, depression, sleep apnea (I doubt it), asthma (doubt it) there are numberous others as well. Have your doctor do some simple blood work such as CBC, CMP, TSH, EKG, pulse oximetry and maybe even a chest X-ray. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it though (no pun intended) it's probably nothing. I find in most people being tired all of the time is usually stress related.

I've found there are two types of sleep: sleep and restful sleep. Sometimes you can sleep hours and hours, but if you're not at peace your body doesn't rest properly; resulting in always feeling tired.

Doing activities like watching movies, listening to music, using computers - all that kinda stuff - just before bed can make it hard for your body to unwind before you fall asleep. Thinking about your day or what you have to do the next day can make you tense. Light stretches, herbal teas, reading a book; all these things can help you rest before sleeping.

But check out what the doctor says... i admire you for sharing this.

len3.8 said:
Definitely, check to see if it is hyper or hypo.
peiserg, that is the first thing I thought about.

I had my thyriod checked too and it's perfectly normal... I have my blood, thyroid, hearing, and balance checked and everything was fine. I had a CAT scan also and the results were normal... How can all those things be normal yet I feel like crap every hour of every day of every week of every month of the last year? :(

Maybe a MRI next? Or some type of breathing test? :(

I would see a lung Dr. Get a pulmonary function test.

Could be something rare like chronic fatigue syndrome.

Zuerst said:
I had my thyriod checked too and it's perfectly normal... I have my blood, thyroid, hearing, and balance checked and everything was fine. I had a CAT scan also and the results were normal... How can all those things be normal yet I feel like crap every hour of every day of every week of every month of the last year? :(

Maybe a MRI next? Or some type of breathing test? :(

Stress, anxiety, depression.

hlweyl said:
I would see a lung Dr. Get a pulmonary function test.

Could be something rare like chronic fatigue syndrome.

No pulmonologist trained in this country would order PFT's on anyone who runs a 5:30 mile. I guarantee you his lung function is not only normal, but probably supra-normal compared to the average adult who sits on ass all day, not running 5:30 miles...

I'd say...
thyroid
electrolytes
epstein barr virus
diabetes
chronic fatigue syndrome
mild asthma (which should be audible... no PFT required)
or some other obscure rheumatological problem
or depression
sleep apnea's not a bad idea. Daytime somnolence, morning headaches, etc... long term damage can be severe, not something that should be ignored if that's a problem for anyone out there....

oh, what medications do you take? side effects of one of those?

vtecNSX1 said:
i feel like that usually also, and dont feel rested even after sleeping for 11+ hours but i figured its just because im fat. my grandpa has sleep apnea and has to use some kind of machine when he sleeps. also when youre diagnosed with it they revoke your drivers license and you have to retake the test. when i went to thailand with my family i stayed in a room with my brother and he said that i would snore really loud and then stop breathing for a bit then start again which is sleep apnea i guess but i dont feel like going through the hassle.

Think what a hassle it will be if you fall alsleep driving and wreck the nsx, or have long term lung damage.

docjohn said:
Do exactly what you are doing,,see your doctor!
I second that. You are getting many random off-the-head inaccurate speculations here. With all these suggestions, you probably have already gotten more confused and anxious. See your doctor.
Steve

peiserg said:
No pulmonologist trained in this country would order PFT's on anyone who runs a 5:30 mile. I guarantee you his lung function is not only normal, but probably supra-normal compared to the average adult who sits on ass all day, not running 5:30 miles...

I'd say...
thyroid
electrolytes
epstein barr virus
diabetes
chronic fatigue syndrome
mild asthma (which should be audible... no PFT required)
or some other obscure rheumatological problem
or depression
sleep apnea's not a bad idea. Daytime somnolence, morning headaches, etc... long term damage can be severe, not something that should be ignored if that's a problem for anyone out there....

oh, what medications do you take? side effects of one of those?

I don't take any medications, maybe a few vitamins here and there but I don't think they'll make someone feel bad. Well, unless someone took in a whole bottle.

I notice my nose are almost always a bit stuffy... should I look into one of those allergy/nasal congestion nose spray? Maybe start doing some yogic breathing exercies?

I should get some regular rest in the coming month or so before I see my doc. May just be as simple as my wildly irregular sleep pattern. Hopefully.

Back