Brakes......Help

I am considering a brake upgrade for my 93 NSX. The problem; brake fade and vibration under heavy braking. I have upgraded the system (all four corners) with slotted rotors and different pads from RM, but after time the problems are back.

Presently I am considering the Stop Tech BBK system (front only). My wheels are F = 17 x 8 and 18 x 10 Volk GT-Cs. I do not use the car on the track; it is an everyday driver, but I want brakes that will perform consistantly up to the standard of a true high performance car.

Any guidance, warnings, etc., that can be offered is greatly appreciated.

Lynn Miller

Of course I propose the movit/ultimategarage solution with 322mm discs (front only) and 4 piston caliper - originaly from the P-car 993 turbo. I still have them - they are great for street and track. You may look in FAQ for further info. I guess they should fit under your big wheels.

The NSX stock brakes are very good and work well in all but the most demanding applications. It sounds like your brakes are not working up to there capabilities. Fade is normally caused by the fluid boiling and vibration is caused by warped/cracked rotors.
Fluid can be flushed and upgraded to a higher boiling point, rotors can be cut and or replaced. I would also look at rebuilding the calipers.

Briank said:
The NSX stock brakes are very good and work well in all but the most demanding applications.
True.

Briank said:
Fluid can be flushed and upgraded to a higher boiling point
Also true. I recommend either the high-temp fluid from Cobalt Friction, or Motul 600 RBF fluid.

Briank said:
vibration is caused by warped/cracked rotors.
Not true. It's usually caused by improper bedding procedures. Click here for a more detailed write-up.

Briank said:
I would also look at rebuilding the calipers.
Unless you've melted the piston boots, which is unlikely, that should not be necessary.

Briank said:
The NSX stock brakes are very good and work well in all but the most demanding applications. It sounds like your brakes are not working up to there capabilities. Fade is normally caused by the fluid boiling and vibration is caused by warped/cracked rotors.
Fluid can be flushed and upgraded to a higher boiling point, rotors can be cut and or replaced. I would also look at rebuilding the calipers.

I had the same trouble with my brakes too. After doing all the above with the exception of rebuilding the calipers all the problems were gone. I think changing out the fluid is as important as replacing any other component.

Here is my six bits worth. Heat is the enemy so get as much air into the rotor as possible and that is not easy with this car. Pads and fluid a must. Make sure that you have very little runout on the rotor that can lead to hot spots and uneven heating. Type of track, late braking and good type-r tires will really load up the brakes and then it will be time for a upgrade unless you want to change pads and rotors often. Move-it has a BIG caliper and not many wheels will clear. It is a great brake but will not have the proper bias to the rear. You just can't bolt on a brake from another car and expect it to be a perfect match. AP has wonderful feel but no dust shields and expensive rotors that did not seem to last long. Stop tech uses the 996 tt monoblock on all fours but I have not heard reports of this new brake yet. If you can afford it go Comptech. Balanced, durable and bolt on but I say again, BIG BUCKS!!! There are some others but I am a Brembo fan. There is a reason almost all the high end cars have them. Good luck, Dan

tunapie said:
Heat is the enemy so get as much air into the rotor as possible and that is not easy with this car.
Very true.

In my car, I have air ducts that run from the front air dam to my rotors to cool them. See photos in the most recent issue of NSX Driver (the newsletter of the NSX Club of America), the issue with the cover story "0 to 60 Modifications ...in under 3 months".

Back