Bought a 1997 NSX-T

Here is a little story about how I came to own this NSX.

About 6 years ago I saw my first NSX in an acura dealership (I was 21). Of course I fell in love with the car, but as a college student...$88,000 was a lot of money. So the car became a fantasy car like the Diablo and the 355 spyder. So I set my sights a bit lower (C5 corvette). After college I set up a 5 year plan to buy a C5 Corvette convertible. Even though I was planning on the Vette, the first couple years I researched the NSX because I was drawn to the technology that went into a car designed in the late 80's.
My 5 year plan ended up a 4 year because I worked a second job to pay off my student loans. So I was all set to buy the vette. However, I then saw an NSX for sale on the DuPont Registry website. I hadn't thought about them for awhile because I knew I wanted a convertible and I could by a 04 vette for what I would pay for a 97 NSX-T. But I figured before stepping up to the plate and buying the vette, I should give the NSX a fair shake. So I set up a test drive with a 2002 C5 convertible and a 1997 NSX-T on the same day. The newer vette was $12,000 less then the 5 year older NSX (same mileage). I drove the vette and decided that the price was right, it was still under warranty, and it's a sharp looking car. I wasn't even going to test drive the NSX because I was set on the vette.
Well, we all know there are not a lot of NSX's around so I thought to myself. Why not, at the very least, take advantage of test driving an NSX. I mean, what are the odds the opportunity would present itself again? So I took my motorcycle on a 75 mile road trip to the dealer. As soon as I pulled in and saw the car (old memories kicked in), I had forgotten about the vette I just drove. The salesmen handed me the keys and we went for about a 20 minute drive. I was sold on an NSX after the first mile. And when I was shown ALL the service records (the orignal owner bought it in religiously for every recommened service), I was sold on that particular car.

The car is like nothing I've ever driven. It's got a feel to it that you cannot understand unless you drive one. I got home and talked to my wife. I called the salesmen a half hour later and said I'll pick it up in 2 hours. So the same day I test drove it was the same day I bought it. I have no regrets.

I see vettes all the time (which is fine when you don't own one), but I've only seen 2 NSXs (on the road) in my entire life. That's what I wanted.

I built an addition to my garage this past spring because I new the (vette) would be arriving shortly. The NSX looks 10X better parked in this grown man's toy box.

This forum has already been a great help. Thanks to all!!

Attachments

• nsx garage.JPG
    nsx garage.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 573
  • NSX garage2.jpg
    NSX garage2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 568
Congrats! Welcome to the club. Make sure you join the NSXCA also. (nsxca.org).

Your car is gorgeous. Exactly what I am looking for. 97 red and tan....

You will love it forever :)

congrats on the NSX,

I fits like a glove in your garage. Now if i can only do that to mine :( .

I musts put that on the list.

clean garage, paint walls, redo the floors. :D

Hey, I really liked the story and I love the color combination of your car (see my signature). I like the garage too. What floor product do you have down on the floor? I want to do my floor but don't want to use something that is going to lift, peel, flake, etc. I like the walls too.

I have a 3 car finished garage that you could perform brain surgery in. Insulated, sheet rocked, windows, taped and textured, Denon 4 speaker stereo, etc., but need to do something with the floor.

Great looking car and garage. :)

Congrats! Second that on the color combo ;) I bought my '01 Red/Tan just this Februray and I built my house with the 3rd garage two years ago just for the NSX. Enjoy!

Sam

Congraulations on your purchase. Thats a FINE looking car. Previous owners did a good job keeping it up. Its good to hear stories like that, aren't you glad that thought came up to just check out that NSX? You'll never look back, it only gets better from here :)

Thanks guys for all the compliments on the car and garage. It was a 2 month project where I worked on it every second I wasn't sleeping or at my normal (paying) job. The outcome was better then expected.

The flooring is racedeck flooring. You can find info on it at racedeck.com It's a bit expensive (about $3.50 a tile) but it will last forever. Resistant to all car fluids.

I attached a photo of the other side where I keep my motorcycles and my workshop. I had to put an intercom out there so my wife and I could talk because I'll spend more time out there then in the house. ;)

The previous owner was very anal about this car (that was what I wanted), so it's perfect. My first choice wasn't red until I saw it. Then it was the only choice. I posted one of my favorite pictures I've taken. Sweet angle.

Attachments

• other side of garage.jpg
    other side of garage.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 308
  • sweet left rear.jpg
    sweet left rear.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 308
Wow, that is wierd. My wife and I did not want red either. Then we saw red/tan, looked at each other and said, "that is it". Took us a while to find one that was in the condition I wanted, but it eventually turned up and we bought it.
Oh, thanks for the tip on the race deck. I will check it out.

Cairo, if your check with K2 on this forum he can assist you with the Race Deck flooring. Great upgrade to your garage.

Back