Boston to Seattle, driving advice

A friend and I will be flying to Boston on Saturday and driving back to Seattle in my new (to me) 2000 Silverstone! I'm pretty excited to say the least.

We won't be straying far from the straightest route, whatever that may be. This is my first cross country drive. I'm looking for any advice you want to give.

Things we should see along the route.
Cities/states that I should watch my speed in.
Places that I can open up and fly. 
Essentials I should bring for the drive.
Is there an easy part to remove to prevent the car from starting when we overnight somewhere?

Many thanks,
Dave

Beware of cops on 84 in NY. Remove fuel pump fuse in small fuse panel by your left calf to keep car from starting.

I can't give you any advice, but I can't wait to see the pics. Take plenty.
Congrats.

I take that back...I do have a little advice.
1. Soft sided luggage.
2. Radar Detector
3. Blue Tape for front end, strip along top of windshield, mirrors, outer edge of side vents.

See Mt Rushmore and take the tunnels highway it has like 15 or 20 tunnels that frame Mt Rushmore in them as you drive thru, its quite strange, also see the Badlands if you can they are very cool,also in Butte MT there is like the largest hole in the ground on earth! its a strip mine that is miles deep and many miles wide, you can see huge trucks working down in the mine and they look like ants from the top..its cool! :smile:

zahntech said:
See Mt Rushmore and take the tunnels highway it has like 15 or 20 tunnels that frame Mt Rushmore in them as you drive thru, its quite strange, also see the Badlands if you can they are very cool,also in Butte MT there is like the largest hole in the ground on earth! its a strip mine that is miles deep and many miles wide, you can see huge trucks working down in the mine and they look like ants from the top..its cool! :smile:

I agrre... see Rushmore. It is really cool.. If you end up there in the morning, breakfast is really cheap at the restaurant in the park. Beware of rain storms out in the Badlands and Montana... they were so strong they blew my wipers off!!! Enjoy...

Oh yeah, you have to stop and get a bumper sticker at Wall Drug and see the Corn Palace

Watch your speed in Montana, cops like to give out ticket to out of towners... I had.

After you passed Spokane, around Ritzville area, there's little hills between north/south bound lanes. It's a famous speed trap as you won't see the cops car until you passed them, usually the traffic is light and it's a deserted area.....

The Rocky mountain corners are quite cool, never take the nsx there, but watch the weather and make sure it's not snowing. (My friend picked up a RX7 and it's snowing hard, took him a long time crawling down hill at 20mph and sliding :) )

Congratrulation on your new purchase. Just in time for this trip :smile:

I'd say, get a laser jammer and a radar detector.

Also, if it's a 00, the immobilizer prevents starting of the car. It has a chip in it. W/o that chip in the ignition key, the car won't start. If you stay away from populous states, you should be able to speed like a demon. The NSX cruises very nicely above 90. Take the top off as much as possible, but put it back on overnight.

Take sunscreen. Pack lightly...the trunk looks bigger than it is. A quart or two of Motor oil, jump cables...not much else in the way of emergency maint. supplies.

If you can get onto an interstate where there is no forest median, just a rail or an open grass median, speed there. The cops are much easier to spot. Usually, you'll get a radar ticket from a hidden cop in a stationary cruiser. They like to hide behind shit, trees, in crossovers in forested medians, etc. The NSX has a low RCS and you may be able to beat instant-on radar if you move like a mongoose. But, don't count on it. Stick to driving in the far right lane at all possible times. Under no circumstances stay in the left lane at high speed.

Remove the front license plate and put a laser jammer transceiver there. Use sticky tape.

teamu said:
easiest route is probably i-90 all the way (since it starts in boston & ends in seattle).

I've driven back and forth across the country 4 times now. I wouldn't take I-90 the whole way because you'll be a little too far North...you may even start to see snow in some of the passes thru Montanna, etc.

I would take I-90 thru Buffalo to Cleveland then take the I-80 thru Chicago and on thru Iowa, Nebraska, etc (Fast!) At any time you can head up to the I-90, but again, be aware that there could be some snow in the passes.

If you stay on the I-80 thru Cheyenne and to Salt Lake City, you can pick up the I-84 and start making your way NW. I-84 will take you all the way to Portland, OR (thru Boise), and then it's only 2 1/2 hours North on the I-5 to Seattle.

Back