• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Body shop recommendation in Los Angeles area?

My wife was driving home last night and a kid in a pick up ran a red light and hit the front bumper on the p/s in front of the wheel. The NSX was spun into a BMW on the opposite side of the junction that was waiting to turn left and the truck then ploughed into the back of the BMW before coming to a halt. The wife was a little shaken up but the car is going to need a bit more than a glass of wine before we can use it again!

I took a quick look under the hood and the inner chassis member has a nice crease in it. The bumper didn't tear off and consequently pushed the nose across about 3-4".

She's very attached to the car and I'd like to try to get it repaired if possible and was wondering whether anyone can recommend a good body shop in the Los Angeles/Santa Monica area to whom they'd entrust their NSX that needs the chassis straightening out.

Thanks

If it is just panel replacement/paint, go to MV Design in Santa Ana. They only work on show cars and in recent years, lots of NSXs.

www.mvdesign.com

Hi Vance

Unfortunately, its going to need some chassis work since the side impact on the nose has pushed the entire front of the car over and folded/creased the inner chassis member just forward of the front wheel.

Chris

Chris-

First post, but hope this helps.

Several years back I had the front of mine repaired by San Pedro Autobody. They used to (don't know if they still do) paint all the Comtech Honda cars. They did a very great job and it was also recommended by our insurance company. :smile: Car looks as good as new.

-Rob

There is also a really good body shop in the Hacienda Heights area, called 20/20. They worked on my previous NSX and did a wonderful job.

Theres a lot of good body shops out there....if you want to go a little closer to you...then try Bravo Auto Collision in Torrance...they have worked on many NSX's there.....they are South Bay Acura's bodyshop to go to.

Sorry about your misfortune....good luck.

Irvine is a bit of a drive, but I had repair work done on a 740i at Spectrum Collision and it was flawless, they're highly recommended in the bmw scene, and they're pricey, but your car will leave looking like new.

Spectrum Collision Center
20 McLaren
Irvine, CA 92618

Chris-

First post, but hope this helps.

Several years back I had the front of mine repaired by San Pedro Autobody. They used to (don't know if they still do) paint all the Comtech Honda cars. They did a very great job and it was also recommended by our insurance company. :smile: Car looks as good as new.

-Rob

Rob is right. San Pedro Autobody has a lot of experience repairing NSXs. They were the shop that Acura sent the NSXs to when they were damaged intransit to the states. They are located right there near the boat docks. I've been there to talk to the owner about paint and there were NSXs in there.

Call 310-831-8456 and ask for Fabian.

Re: Bravo Auto Body

Hi everyone

Thanks for the various suggestions. We started off with Bravo Auto Body in Torrance. We spoke with Jimmy and he said they had experience of NSXs and to bring the car down. We used our AAA membership for a flatbed to take the car to Torrance. As Jimmy was looking over the car, the owner of Bravo, Juan, showed up and advised that his aluminum machine was out of order. Frankly, I'm pretty sure it was working fine and he just didn't want to bother with our car.

So another call to AAA (the truck that dropped the car off had already left) and I called Fabian at San Pedro Autobody, about 10 miles further south. He was very helpful and when I got the car down there, I learned about their extensive relationship with American Honda on the repair of NSXs. Apparently, when the first NSXs arrived, a VP at Honda had one and was rear ended and shoved under a tractor trailer at the same time. They pulled the motor at American Honda and then brought the body around to San Pedro. Since the Honda engineers had never fixed an NSX, they shipped a designer over from Japan along with a translator for several weeks and together they developed the repair procedures for NSXs. The repaired car is still on the road today according to San Pedro.

While we have an ugly crease in the front chassis member, I'm pretty confident that if anyone can fix it, they can.

As for Bravo, I'd recommend that you cross them of the list of 'go to' places based on owner Juan's apathy. San Pedro mentioned that Bravo had sent another NSX their way a couple of months earlier, which reinforced my opinion as to whether Bravo's equipment was broken or not!

Ultimately, we'd rather have it fixed at a place that actually wants to do it!

Wow! Sorry to hear that :eek: That really surprises me......I guess I am not going to consider them anymore. Work ethics are a big factor in me going somewhere for my car. Even though I do not need any extensive work done to my car. That really makes me think twice about taking my car to them with an attitude like that. Unless his machine was really not working? but anyways glad you are happy where you are at now.

I just want to get my front bumper resprayed for the chips.

I went to San Pedro Auto Body to repair damages done by another body shop. After AAA and San Pedro Auto Body screwed around with the car and tried to fabricate some story that the damage was from a previous accident and they didnt want to cover it, I picked up the car from them. After receiving the car, I found that my seat, which I just had redone in new leather had a cut in it, my navigation head units' display was blown out, and both fog lights broken.
My car is now at Lautobody in Stanton, and hopfully everything will be taken care of now.

Well good luck to both of you guys.....seems like a good body shop is hard to find now a days. The one thing I hate about bodyshops is that when they put the parts back on....either they use different bolts or screws since they lose the original ones.

I have even seen the work of so called recommended shops out there and ones I have been reccommended...and they replaced screws with bolts or vice versa. When I got my prelude repainted I had the same stuff happen. I wish bodyshops would be more organized when taking apart pieces and not losing parts. I don't want a bolt where a clip is suppose to be.

Thats why I rather have Jon Martin's guys take my car apart and just drop the part off for painting. At least I know my parts won't be missing.

Chris and Jon please let us know about your progress with the repairs. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have even seen the work of so called recommended shops in OC...and they replaced screws with bolts or vice versa.

Eddie,

Just curious, do you always have be double sided face? Word within words. My style is straight up, I don't hide words or feelings. I let it out. This is not a joke by the way. I am asking this face to face. I have already forgave you for the racist personal attacks. However, I thought by now you should have learned to tone it down a bit.

Name the cars that you have seen from the so called recommended shops in OC. If you can cheap shot you can back it up. Name the shop and name the cars. I am really curious on what shop and what cars you are talking about. This will help others avoid those shops. A man is got to be respondsible for what they said in public.

Just because not everyone take the cars to where you like them to take it to, doesn't mean they have anything against you. You tried too hard to be cool man. Opposite effect. Do you know what karma is?

What goes around comes around. Mutual respect is exactly that, two way thing. Trying too hard to be the shit usually end up being the snub. Ironic isn't it. The word that you use most frequently on others whom have nothing against you.

I wish bodyshops would be more organized when taking apart pieces and not losing parts. I don't want a bolt where a clip is suppose to be.
Are you thinking too much again? You imagine too much. If you worry that much, just buy a box of oem clips and set it aside.

Thats why I rather have Jon Martin's guys take my car apart and just drop the part off for painting. At least I know my parts won't be missing.

"edited the line that was here"

I have nothing but respect for Jon, but damn hello? over done man. JM every little thing for crying out a loud.

My car is now at Lautobody in Stanton, and hopfully everything will be taken care of now.
LAautobody do a lot of Ferrari, Viper, Porsche, AMG cars. They are actually in the same building with Dynoxtreme. Gary should be taking really good care of you.

Last edited:
I went to San Pedro Auto Body to repair damages done by another body shop. After AAA and San Pedro Auto Body screwed around with the car and tried to fabricate some story that the damage was from a previous accident and they didnt want to cover it, I picked up the car from them. After receiving the car, I found that my seat, which I just had redone in new leather had a cut in it, my navigation head units' display was blown out, and both fog lights broken.

Is it possible that this is a case where AAA's adjustor didn't want to cover it? If that was the case, the body shop wouldn't have been able to do anything (unless you would be willing to pay out of your own pocket.) Just wondering. :confused:

In any case, that's a really bummer about the damaged parts.

LAautobody do a lot of Ferrari, Viper, Porsche, AMG cars. They are actually in the same building with Dynoxtreme. Gary should be taking really good care of you.

Thanks, makes me feel alittle better that the work will be done right.

Is it possible that this is a case where AAA's adjustor didn't want to cover it? If that was the case, the body shop wouldn't have been able to do anything (unless you would be willing to pay out of your own pocket.) Just wondering.

In any case, that's a really bummer about the damaged parts.

I dont think there would have been any problem until San Pedro said that they dont think the damage was caused by the accident or body shop. Plus AAA didnt know that repair costs were so high with NSXs. It ended up going to an independant inspector, where he did a full evaluation of the car and said that the damage was definately caused by the accident and compounded by the poor work of the body shop, and was unsafe to drive. I made mention that I may have to lawyer up because this has been going on for almost a year, and no resolution. (By the way, dont ever go to Western Auto Body in Gardena. They are the ones who screwed up my car.) AAA called me up immediately and wanted to tow the car to their facility. I told them they are not touching the car and taking it somewhere that I dont know. AAA now said I can go anywhere and they will cover everything.
I had called Bravo Auto Body previously, and didnt care for their attitude. Plus they didnt do re-repairs from other shops.

Re: AAA insurance

When I was chatting to Mary Anne at San Pedro earlier this week, she mentioned that they preferred working with AAA on insurance repairs since San Pedro had assisted in on-the-job training some of the AAA Adjusters. She also said they were easier to deal with as an insurer compared to some of the other companies who would more typically total a car than authorize repair or try to persuade the shop to cut corners to save cost.

It sounds like Western Auto Body were the original cause of your difficulties and that San Pedro may have had a hard time distinguising what damage had resulted from Western's earlier involvement. It sounds like a lawyer may be your only recourse and you should be careful that it doesn't run past the statute of limitations before you go hire one.

This concern was the main reason that we asked on this board for reputable shop recommendations. Both Bravo and San Pedro are authorized AAA repair shops. IMHO, if a reasonably badly accident damaged NSX ends up at a shop that has no understanding of what they're looking at or how to fix it, the car can either be messed up by an inexperienced repair tech or worse still, totaled because they think that they can't fix it or don't know how to.

I appreciate everyone's earlier feedback and I'll keep you posted on how things go at San Pedro.

Eddie,

BTW what that is the deal with 3.8L? been like 2.5years. Any motor completed yet? Are the customer still patiencely waiting. There were suppose to be 4. So far even 1 completed yet? This is legitimate question by the way.

Last time I heard from you on this subject was 11-15-2006, 02:16

All 4 are getting installed right now as we speak and I will not bother to respond to your other posts.

Last edited:
All 4 are getting installed right now as we speak and I will not bother to respond to your other posts.

I was at Cerritos Acura the other day and can confirm this. They've been working on them for awhile now (since September of last year). A couple are getting complete makeovers, interior included.

Engines are done.

I was at Cerritos Acura the other day and can confirm this. They've been working on them for awhile now (since September of last year). A couple are getting complete makeovers, interior included.

Engines are done.

Not try to rain on any one's parade regarding the 3.8. The subject was brought out in this none-related thread, I have to ask.

I have heard through the grapevine that there has been spun bearing problem with that 3.8 set up. Is that true? Some body told me that couple of months ago at a car meet. I forgot his name, but he has a R32 Skyline and his dad is a famour Porsche tuner in S Cal.

Last edited:
The only person I knew with the 3.8L was edmo7 before he sold it to SOS and was built by SOS.

So I do not know who you are referring to unless its him?

But as far as these 4 motors they are built by JM and company.

If you have any questions about the 3.8 motor I would suggest talking to JM.

Back