Body shop in MD/Virginia

Any recommendations for a good body shop in the MD/Virginia area? I slid off the road today and messed up the stuff under the front bumper (91 NSX with only 3,400 miles!!). My poor car has been babied and has never even been outside in the raid it's entire life.

I'm very depressed.

Hopefully, there is a great place to take it to that will make it all better.

Thanks - I've got that black piece and it's OK.

The grill under the front bumper is messed up - it's going to need to go to the body shop.

I've heard that Wagonwork in Arlington, VA does good work. Any experience with them?

I called Wagonworks today - Asked them how many NSX's they've done recently and they said that they thought they've done about 3 in the last year. But, they did sound like they had their act together and would probably do a very good job. One thing that concerned me was that they said that they weren't sure of how good a match on the paint they could do. My NSX has been under a cover in the garage it's entire life, so the paint is still the same color it was when it left the factory - so not really sure why they were concerned about matching the color.

BTW - It looks like my NSX does not have any clear-coat on it. Was wondering if the newer NSX's are clear-coated.

Phil, don't stress it so much, when Wagon Work says they may not be able to match, they are using extremely anal standards! These guys are very good, period. I would think that Berlina Black will not be as difficult to match as my metallic Sebring Silver was when they painted mine. The lower front valence area is also a less critical/noticeable area as far as paint work goes, so I think you will be fine. These guys are very detailed and the office management is very professional, organized & top notch. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback - You're right, I am nervous. My NSX only had 3400 miles on it and was showroom perfect.

My car is red (not black) - and I was concerned about the ability to match the red being that everyone is telling me that Acura used a 3-step process including red tinted clear-coat.

I have confidence in Wagon Works based on the feedback I've received - but just want to make sure they are aware of the process used on the NSX. Since they've only done a couple NSX's in the last year, they might be "out of practice".

I don't think they'll be out of practice. Three stage paint is not that uncommon. Chrysler vans even have a popular color that is a three stage red. I'll bet they do this type of refinishing on a regular basis.

PhilH said:
Thanks for the feedback - You're right, I am nervous. My NSX only had 3400 miles on it and was showroom perfect.

My car is red (not black) - and I was concerned about the ability to match the red being that everyone is telling me that Acura used a 3-step process including red tinted clear-coat.

I have confidence in Wagon Works based on the feedback I've received - but just want to make sure they are aware of the process used on the NSX. Since they've only done a couple NSX's in the last year, they might be "out of practice".

Are you going through insurance? Wagonwerks is very pricey! I had my porsche bumper redone there last year, cost me 1,300 out of pocket. There is a place in Rockville called Rockville-Bethesda Autobody right next to BMW Exclusive Service. I've taken many cars to these folks and they do flawless work. Might want to go done there and talk to them before you go to Wagonwerks.

Phil, if you think about it, the fact that they may have worked on 3 NSXes in the past year is a pretty good statistic "per capita" of NSX's in the area (that need body work) vs. the thousands of body shops that these damaged NSXes could possibly go to. When was the last time you saw an NSX on the road, in an accident, etc. The three they repaired is likely close to the number of all NSXes damaged in the DC metro area for the last 12 months. I doubt any Acura dealer body shop has had as many. They are also one of a handful of bodyshops in the country Audi Aluminum certified. These guys will only accept high-end automobiles for repair. Another thing, when I went to pick up my NSX, I thought it was perfect, but they pointed out a minuscule paint flaw & wanted to redo the paint work, but I was happy w/ it & declined! Basically, they'll likely be first to point out a flaw before you do & they will make it right until both are happy.

That sounds great - and is exactly what I'm looking for.

In the past, I've used places like Shannon Autobody since they were recommended by Rosenthal Acura - but they are clearly not in the same league as Wagonwork - and I've been disappointed with their work the last 2 times we were there. There's no way I'd ever entrust them with an NSX.

Thanks for the good info - I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Back