Bloomberg Article - The Classic Acura NSX Is a Better Investment Than the Dow

right on....

The DOW these past couple of days looks a bit scary. At this rate looks to under-perform most asset. Hope it doesn't bring everything down with it. :nightmare:

Where can I find one of those "$25,000 for an older white number"???!!!!

Btw, wtf is a "silver bullet convertible"? :redface:

From the article:

To maximize your investment, choose a specimen with higher miles and a known maintenance record over an example with lower miles but with sketchy or unknown maintenance. The later 3.2-liter engine versions, which debuted in 1997, carry a roughly 30 percent premium over the original 3.0-liter engines but are better to buy if you want a long-term investment.

Manuals are generally worth more than automatics. And in general, a coupe is more valuable than a Targa.

Not sure if I agree with that first sentence, it seems like the higher % value growth would be on the lower miles car...as long as the price is right, and as long as you catch the maintenance up and can document it.

Coupes more valuable than Targas? Maybe the unicorn coupes made after '97 to the right buyer, but with the vast majority of coupes being before '95 and the cars tending to be more valuable the newer they are, I don't know if this is a hard&fast rule. Would a '91 with the same miles as a '95 be worth more? Especially now with the RHD coupes entering the market?

Btw, wtf is a "silver bullet convertible"? :redface:

The "old white number" was apparently sold. The current cheapest NSX in Hemmings is this one:

64314398-770-0@2X.jpg

(My reaction when seeing this photo for the first time was akin to watching an ISIS beheading. Anyone else?)

Interesting article that brings up an angle I have not considered. While the listing prices continue to rise to the stratosphere, my data shows the values have largely stayed constant since 2016. The article gives a good possible reason for that in its comparison to the 348 market. I generally found most of their insights mirrored in my own, except for their conclusion that the market peaked in 2017. My sale data shows the market is just as strong today as it was in 2017... and 2016.

Don't get excited, that one was a spam / scam listing. However, your itch for a $25k NSX can still be scratched.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...Red-Black-Automatic-165-xxx-JH4NA1266MT001859

From the article:

Not sure if I agree with that first sentence, it seems like the higher % value growth would be on the lower miles car...as long as the price is right, and as long as you catch the maintenance up and can document it.

You are correct that a lower mile NSX will appreciate at a higher rate, my data has shown it. I struggled to understand what they mean, and the best I could come up with with is something like 'spending $50k on a fully documented NSX with 40k miles is better than spending $50k on an NSX with 30k miles and no maintenance records, as thousands of dollars in maintenance cost could be due on the second option.' It makes no sense to compare 10k miles to 100k miles and say 100k miles is better for value.

Coupes more valuable than Targas? Maybe the unicorn coupes made after '97 to the right buyer, but with the vast majority of coupes being before '95 and the cars tending to be more valuable the newer they are, I don't know if this is a hard&fast rule. Would a '91 with the same miles as a '95 be worth more? Especially now with the RHD coupes entering the market?

I can answer your question; my data shows that NA2 Targas and manual NA1 Targas both have consistently higher value across all mileage than manual NA1 Coupes (all USDM and CDM cars), so I have no idea where that comment came from. The only remote explanation is if they were including NA2 Coupes and Zanardis as 'Coupes'.<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc ;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>

Last edited:
Interesting article that brings up an angle I have not considered. While the listing prices continue to rise to the stratosphere, my data shows the values have largely stayed constant since 2016. The article gives a good possible reason for that in its comparison to the 348 market. I generally found most of their insights mirrored in my own, except for their conclusion that the market peaked in 2017. My sale data shows the market is just as strong today as it was in 2017... and 2016.

Don't get excited, that one was a spam / scam listing. However, your itch for a $25k NSX can still be scratched.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...Red-Black-Automatic-165-xxx-JH4NA1266MT001859

You are correct that a lower mile NSX will appreciate at a higher rate, my data has shown it. I struggled to understand what they mean, and the best I could come up with with is something like 'spending $50k on a fully documented NSX with 40k miles is better than spending $50k on an NSX with 30k miles and no maintenance records, as thousands of dollars in maintenance cost could be due on the second option.' It makes no sense to compare 10k miles to 100k miles and say 100k miles is better for value.

I can answer your question; my data shows that NA2 Targas and manual NA1 Targas both have consistently higher value across all mileage than manual NA1 Coupes (all USDM and CDM cars), so I have no idea where that comment came from. The only remote explanation is if they were including NA2 Coupes and Zanardis as 'Coupes'.<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc ;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>

Not exactly a "white number" the writer was referring to...more like a ragged red automatic :eek:

Back