Billy Johnson 1St. place at Mosport track

Billy Johnson, NSX owner and FactorX driver, wins once more! Today, 6-17, at the Mosport track in Canada in the Grand-Am KONI Challenge Bill and co-driver Karl Thomson got the first place.

Billy had not been in the lead during the race. On the last lap he made his move. While going down a straightaway both cars touched, they are still friends, putting them both at 45 degrees while going 120 MPH. Billy's skills jumped in, getting himself straight first and winning the race.

In the over all point his team is one point away from first.

Congratulating Billy and Karl.

Lance

Thanks Lance!

The full story can be read here on Grand Am's website: http://grand-am.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8430

It was a long race, with 50 minutes to go I was in 5th, was brake checked and was pushed wide off the track in turn 2 at over 60mph and came back on the track in 15th. From there in 50 minutes I passed over 18 cars including the leader on hte last lap for the win. It was a great weekend and our third victory of the season.

-Billy

Aw crap - would have loved to go watch.

Congrats! What did you think of the track Billy? I llloooooovvvvvveeeeee that track.

The Kensai guys sure have their scheite together...

Going wide on 2 is a hair raising experience. Going OFF on two is enough to put the fear of god in anyone.

That has been called the scariest corner in North America. I see angels when Im just slightly wide on it.

Well done Billy......as expected.....
Jim

Congrats! What did you think of the track Billy? I llloooooovvvvvveeeeee that track.
You should have came! I really enjoy the track, it is definatly very fast and ballsy. The Kensai guys did a great job as usual.

Going wide on 2 is a hair raising experience. Going OFF on two is enough to put the fear of god in anyone.

That has been called the scariest corner in North America. I see angels when Im just slightly wide on it.
Yea, it was a big-off in 2. I was closer to the wall than the track surface and came back onto the track at the end of the track-out curbing for 2.

Although it was 'big', being turned-into at the end of the straight at 126mph facing the wall was a bit scarier of a moment.

Well done Billy......as expected.....
Jim
Thanks Jim!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Going into round 6 after winning 2 of the 5 races of the Koni Challenge series, Kensai Racing's #76 Acura TSX of Karl Thomsom and (MR2 owner) Billy Johnson won the ST class at Mosport - Canada's premier racetrack in the Koni Challenge Race!

The team's #75 TSX qualified 12th and the winning #76 TSX qualified in the 8th position.

Karl Thomson did a great job starting the #76 TSX keeping the car in 5th which pitted around the 45 minute mark where Billy Johnson took over the controls to finish out the race. At 50 minutes to go while in 5th place, the No. 86 BMW Classic-Plano BMW Z4 driven by Pierre Kleinubing made a gutsy move on a backmarker causing the #76 to run wide in turn 2 off the track to emerge in 15th position. After many consistant laps it came down to the last lap where Johnson passed the No. 95 Turner BMW 330i on the back straight.

"On the last lap I was right behind the BMW on the front straight and the Turner guys do a good job on their set-up but nobody could get out of Turn 5 faster than we could all day in our Kensai Acura," Johnson continued. "I got side-by-side with Trevor on the back straight and we came together. We touched and I was about 45 degrees sideways at 120 mph through there on the straight. I held on to it and was able to get by, and now the championship is going to be even closer."

After winning Billy's home race at Laguna Seca, it was an especially important win for Billy to return the favor for the team's home race at Mosport. Now their is only a one point gap between the #76 Kensai TSX and the #95 Turner 330i going into next weekend's race at Mid-Ohio.

More info can be found at:

http://grand-am.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8430
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/grandam/38158/

STORY_76-Acura.jpg

061707ST800-0014.jpg

I would like to thank Team Kensai Racing (www.kensairacing.com) for building and prepping amazing cars. Of course Compass360 (www.compass360.com) and Acura.

Last edited:
Back