Best deal on tires in socal?

Sounds like your question may have already been answered in the other topic you created about this.

Here are the per-tire prices at the Tire Rack for Star Specs in the best rear NSX sizes (add another $15-30 per tire for mounting/balancing; shipping is typically $15-20 per tire):

225/50-16 $136 plus shipping
245/40-17 $179 plus shipping
255/40-17 $185 plus shipping
255/35-18 $259 plus shipping
265/35-18 $273 plus shipping

Discount Tire Direct offers free shipping. In my experience, when you compare prices after adjusting for shipping, DTD is often (but not always) a few dollars cheaper than Tire Rack.

I've been going to Tire Central in El Monte. They generally use the tire rack prices as their index (for the most part excluding specials and such). The tire rack prices is what they quote but included in that price is mount & balance and no additional shipping costs which you would incur with online vendors which is often an out-the-door savings of $100-150. On occassion they get bulk orders at a cheap price and so you might even get lucky. They also are proper with the installation and always use a proper torque wrench on my lugs.

If you don't mind driving to SGV you can tell them I sent you. I'm not trying to pimp them out.. just trying to give you an option.

Lots of other good choices all around SoCal but I built a relationship with them and prefer to give them my business.

I also buy my motorcycle tires from them and they mount and balance my track set. They do it so well that they take the time to remount the tire on the wheel to use the least amount of weights possible. 2 of 4 of my track set use no weights and are balanced perfectly.. just sayin :biggrin:

Last edited:
When comparing vendors, remember to compare not only mounting/balancing and shipping, but also sales tax. You usually pay sales tax at any in-person "bricks and mortar" business, but not on tires shipped from out of state (which is why Tire Rack's and DTD's warehouses are mostly in states near, but not in, their biggest concentrations of customers). So what you aren't paying in shipping, you might be paying in sales tax.

If you're paying $300 per 265/35-18 tire for the Star Spec including mounting/balancing and sales tax, that's excellent, because it's less than the Tire Rack's price with mounting/balancing and shipping ($273 plus $30-50). If you're paying 7.25 percent sales tax on top of that, the Tire Rack may be a few bucks cheaper, but the difference is probably not enough to worry about. The price certainly not out of line for that size. (If you want to save a little, you could consider 255/35-18 instead, since your NSX is a '95.)

Last edited:
I've been going to Tire Central in El Monte. They generally use the tire rack prices as their index (for the most part excluding specials and such). The tire rack prices is what they quote but included in that price is mount & balance and no additional shipping costs which you would incur with online vendors which is often an out-the-door savings of $100-150. On occassion they get bulk orders at a cheap price and so you might even get lucky. They also are proper with the installation and always use a proper torque wrench on my lugs.

If you don't mind driving to SGV you can tell them I sent you. I'm not trying to pimp them out.. just trying to give you an option.

Lots of other good choices all around SoCal but I built a relationship with them and prefer to give them my business.

I also buy my motorcycle tires from them and they mount and balance my track set. They do it so well that they take the time to remount the tire on the wheel to use the least amount of weights possible. 2 of 4 of my track set use no weights and are balanced perfectly.. just sayin :biggrin:

+1 on Tire Central...

I love how they dont use air tools... They take extra care mounting the wheels and make sure they dont mess them up... Allen is always great to work with...

Back