Best Credit Card for points/miles.

Hello Gentlemen,

I am doing my annual financial analysis and have decided I need a new Credit Card. We have a American Advantage card for personal use. We charge as much as we can on it and pay it off each month yet somehow we barely qualify for a free continental trip a year. There has to be some better deals out there. What about the Capital One card? Any other good options? Interest rates don't matter since we pay it off every month.

I have a Capital One Quicksilver Cash Back Card that I use for work.

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/quicksilver-cash-rewards/

No annual fee
1.5% Cash back every day on any purchase
Redeem for cash any day for any amount

In 2013, I cashed in over $2,000 of free cash back. Not too shabby.

For personal use, I use Discover where I can. The rewards program isn't as good, but they have special 5% cash back on certain products at certain times. But the real kicker is I redeem them for gift cards at a higher value. So I can purchase a $100 Banana Republic gift card for only $80 cash back rewards money for even better return on the cash back. Makes great birthday/holiday gifts.

My wife and I both have a joined PNC Cash Builder credit card that we pretty much put everything on and pay off every month. 1.75% cash back on every purchase, no annual fee. Works for us. Good luck

I use the old American Express Blue Cash....it is 5% cash back unlimited on Gas/Groceries/Drug Stores..no annual fee....used to be 1.5% on EVERYTHING else UNLIMITED until that silly CARD act passed congress. :rolleyes: Now its' only 1% cash back on everything else. Thanks politicians.

I've also got a Discover more card...which was great until they started imposing quarterly Maximums on spends within the different categories. Now I can only get 5% cash back on up to $1500 of purchases now per quarter. Silly since we spend 6 figures on our cards each year. Thanks politicians.

My everything else card is now the Fidelity Rewards American express card....it gives 2% unlimited on EVERY purchase. Can't wait till the politicians pass more legislation to screw this one up. :cool:

Last edited:
I use both an Amex Cash and a Capital One Cash card.
They both pay between 1% and 3% cash back on purchases(depends on what the purchase is).
I think normal purchases are 1% on Amex, 1.5 on CapOne
Gas is 2% on Amex
Groceries are 3% on Amex.

IMO, if you're not using a cash card for everything, you're throwing away money.
I probably get $300 back per year.
Free money.

I go with the Costco Amex Business 1-4% depending on what you are buying. You don't need a costco business account to get it, but you need a registered corp. They pay you out with a check you exchange for cash at your local costco. Long term, I've found this to be the most valuable as all the points / mileage systems tend to get me about a 1% return...with hoops. I'd rather just have the cash. As a backup, I use a CapOne with 1.5% cash back.

Back