Best '73 or Earlier Track Car?

Number9

Am interested in building a nominally street legal mostly track car (something lawfully driveable to track events) and am tired of worrying about the CA smog nazis (apologies in advance to any actual nazis). Apparently, cars circa 73 or earlier are exempt from smog compliance, so I'm thinking of starting with a 240Z or 911 chassis and modding the hell out of it. Any other recommendations besides these two?

Don't know anything about the mini except for the new BMW one, but I couldn't live with the looks of it or presumably its forebears. The Datsun and Porsche chassis can be built to ludicrous HP at low 2K lbs. curb weight which makes them the leading contenders.

"best" really depends what you want... you might also look at a bmw 2002tii or porsche 914.

I think that 914 is probably one of the best track car. It is cheap (buy for under2K) and can be modded quite abit also the handling in those car are superb. You could drive it to the track but ultimately you're better off trailering it. another car to consider is the miata, but it would be a 1990+ car.

Originally posted by Lud:
"best" really depends what you want... you might also look at a bmw 2002tii or porsche 914.

Fair point. Something light with a capable suspension and a decently rigid chassis that can support relatively high power (2K lbs @ about ~400 RWHP would be the end goal). Also has to look reasonably good, which is purely subjective.

240Z and 911 were first choices because of parts availability and relative cheapness. You can weld in a cage and bolt on a later model 280Z turbo engine into the Z pretty easily and the suspension bits are still widely available. Just started looking into 911 option. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions thus far.

Back