Best '73 or Earlier Track Car?

Number9

Am interested in building a nominally street legal mostly track car (something lawfully driveable to track events) and am tired of worrying about the CA smog nazis (apologies in advance to any actual nazis). Apparently, cars circa 73 or earlier are exempt from smog compliance, so I'm thinking of starting with a 240Z or 911 chassis and modding the hell out of it. Any other recommendations besides these two?

I think that the 911 of that vintage have more potential than the 914. As for the BMW, don't need another - my E36 M3 is making 338 RWHP now, but has run into the CARB limits. The whole point is to circumvent CARB.

Europa Special.
You can get up to 190 HP. It can be lightened to 1350 pounds no sweat. 0.29 CD. No frontal area anyway. It handles like a Formula Ford.
Parts are cheap enough and available from several sources. Check out http://www.banks-europa.co.uk/
to see what can be done. There are lots of US sources as well, but Richard Winter at Banks is probably doing the most. He's a good guy, give him a call.
Mine is too nice to track, but I am thinking about another one. My friend has one with 165 HP and lots of tweaks. He keeps up with the Cobras.
Mine only has about 130 HP and it keeps up with the NSX in a straight line to 90 MPH and is better in the twisty bits. Not as comfy though.

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

I 2nd the BMW 2002. You can put 2 sidedraft webbers on there and rock out. The cars are everywhere, parts are cheap, cars are cheap, and they are great at the track. Plus the 68-73 cars are the ones you want anyway.
"real BMW's have round tail lights"
Aaron

Number 9,

I'm planning on doing the same thing this winter with a late 60's MG Midget or '58-'62 Austin Healey Bugeye(Frogeye) Sprite. I'm pretty sure these are the smallest & lightest cars out there (you wouldn't be embarrassed to drive). I was thinking of dropping a 350 in one for shi%$ and grins. There's a few forums of owners that have done this.

BTW... I've had 2 914's, a '72 parts car and a cherry '76. Bored out the stock 2.0 to a 2.5 4 cyl (ultimately proved fatal to the engine) Also put two 3rd gears in the tranny. One was obviously for third. Reversing the other and replacing the stock 5th gave it over 140 mph top end. Also put 911 suspension parts into it, ie. tie rods. This car could outhandle ANYTHING including an NSX.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

BTW...recently found out we both have CTSC 9 PSI setups on our NSX's. With your 365 RWHP, you got me by 2HP (so far!)

Originally posted by Auraraptor:
I have heard wonderful things of porshe 914s..but i cant tell you if its a pre mid 70s car...I hav only ever seen one and it was dirt cheap late 70s (reletivly speaking)

The last year for the 914 in the states was 1976 (I had one). Very fun car but needs more power than stock.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Don’t automatically discount all post ’73 cars!!! Many models have made substantial suspension system and handling improvements in more recent years. What’s more, there are lots of CA emissions-legal mods you can do, and still wind up with more HP, better handling, and better reliability than with a 30+ year old car. This is true with the 911 that you are considering, along with many others.

Anyway, if you are looking for a project to build, the 914 can be a lot of fun, or maybe depending on your tastes, a Factory Five Cobra. Bill Pierce, a Houston NSX’er is also into these little road rockets.

His website is http://www.ffcobra.com/

The cobra is relatively inexpensive to build, has an insane power-to-weight ratio, and can apparently be built street legal and registered as a ’65

------------------
All My NSX'es Live in Texas

Originally posted by NSXTC:
Don’t automatically discount all post ’73 cars!!!

I'd prefer not to, but frankly, I'm tired of worrying about CARB compliance, such as with the NSX and M3, which had to go Comptech/Dinan route because those were the only CA smog legal FI upgrades. Also, these are essentially at the end of the road for CA legal power adders.

So for street legal track car that I would NEVER have to take to a smog station, seems like a '73 or earlier would do the trick. If the Europa can be made to handle like a formula ford, that definitely sounds like fun...

Back