Bent rim, seeking advice

On my way into work today, I drove by a construction area and hit something hard with my right front wheel. At first I thought I had hit a nasty pothole, so I pull over and take a look. As it turns out, the lip on the rim was deformed by the impact. Fortunately there was a Discount Tire nearby, so I had them inspect the tire for damage. They told me the alloy rim is unrepairable, but that the tire seemed okay so far since the sidewall was not "bubbling." I went back to the scene of the incident a few hours later to try to find the culprit, but all I could find was some busted rocks.

Two questions:

1) Are there any tire experts here that can assess the damage based on the photos and recommend a course of action regarding tire repair/replacement if necessary?

2) Should I contact the construction company about seeking compensation for the damage? Do I even have enough evidence to warrant pursuing this course of action?

Thank you for your input.

bentrim.jpg

Is that a Mustang rim?? Thats not your NSX is it? It would be a tough chore to prove that they are at fault due to baricades in plain view. I remember I bought some 18" for my Integra once, 3 days later at lunch, the city cut a small trench across Main St. and filled it in with fresh blacktop. Too bad it sunk down 2" so when I hit it, instant dent! I was pissed. You can try to send a pic to the city/county etc and see if they will do anything for you on their insurance, but I seriously doubt it? :confused:

Yeah, the rim belongs to my Mustang. If it had been the NSX I'd be much more peeved than I am. The frustrating part is that I was nowhere near the barricades when this happened, there was plenty of distance between my car and those things. However, I couldn't immediately return to the site due to work and traffic, and whatever I hit could have been moved or knocked out of the way.

I emailed my city councilmember to find out if the construction company can be held liable at all for the damage. If nothing else, I hope something is done to reduce the amount of debris on the road. I see trucks dropping unsecured cargo on the roads & highways all the time. It really makes it difficult to own a nice car sometimes...

To motavate the construction firm to settle you would absolutely have to show exactly what caused the damage AND that their negligence caused that to occur. Short of that they will blow you off with all the other broken windshield claims, IMO. Sorry for the hazzle.

T Bell said:
I remember I bought some 18" for my Integra once, 3 days later at lunch, the city cut a small trench across Main St. and filled it in with fresh blacktop. Too bad it sunk down 2" so when I hit it, instant dent! I was pissed. You can try to send a pic to the city/county etc and see if they will do anything for you on their insurance, but I seriously doubt it? :confused:

This same thing happened to me once in S. Orange, NJ. A heavy rainstorm washed out the cold patch they had used to repair a cut trench in the road. Since it was raining and the road was puddled, the hole was not visible. I hit it and bent both rims on one side of the car and blew the tires. The two cars behind me did the same thing. We stopped the next guy. The town paid for everything without question. All I had to do was ask. Glad it was not one of the good cars though. Having 2 flats at once is a real pain!

Does Discount Tire even do wheel repair? They are probably more likely to tell you it can't be fixed and sell you a new wheel.

You would be surprised what a good wheel repair shop can do. I've seen wheels in worst shape that have been repaired.

There is an excellent wheel repair shop in my area that could probably fix that wheel. Unfortunately I'm on the the east coast.
(Ye Ole Wheel Shop is where I go to).

Here are some others...

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/tirewheelrepair.htm

Thanks Sean, I contacted them and got an estimate of $185 for them just to try. I think I can get a new one for less than that. Thanks though.

Back