• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery draining in minutes!

Battery's dead yesterday, jump it, let the car idle take it for a drive and park it. I figure its just been sitting and I would let the alternator charge it back up. This morning I have to Jump it again. I than drive it to work, 20 min. and turn it off...wont start(slow crank and clicking). Put a battery charger on it fo 20 min., then test it: 13V...then the car starts up easily, and i test again and get 14.5V. turn the car off, let it sit for an hour...battery is dead. Looked at all threads for battery. Any suggestions?

Bad battery is my first guess. Do you have a voltmeter? Disconnect it and measure the voltage. Experiment--measure it after charging it up and after a day of sitting.
If the battery is good feel around for a warm fuse or relay after hooking up a charged battery. With an ammeter you can measure currents through each fuse one at a time.

How long had it been sitting? days,weeks,months?
How old is the battery?

It won't charge up with a twenty minute drive or battery charge.

Check the battery cable clamps and charge it thoroughly.

Sulley

Sorry! I must have taken "Dumb Pills" instead of my vitamins this morning!
Took the car to get the battery tested...Bad battery.
Battery was 11 months old.
Thanks guys for your help.

heathbar0 said:
Took the car to get the battery tested...Bad battery.
Battery was 11 months old.
I assume they replaced it at no charge? It should be covered by the warranty on the battery...

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Even then sometimes they pro-rate it depending on manufacturer
It's usually covered for full replacement during the first three years.

I Grok NSX said:
Get a battery from Costco....3 year full replacement, then prorated to 5 years.
I just bought a battery at Costco and the pro-ration portion of the warranty is for 100 months.

It was a Napa battery with a 18 Mo. warranty. I took it to them, they tested it and gave me a new one! So...I replaced it in their parking lot with thier tools. It felt like the old days in a Pep Boys parking lot replacing parts on my 87 Jeep Wrangler. YE HAW!

Back