Basch superchargers. Anyone know anything about them?

There are no new versions. The make good power, but no low end tq. I really enjoyed mine. For daily driving though the ctsc is more fun because of the extra low end tq.

The shaft bearings tend to go bad first but overall I think this unit got a bad rap. It still suffers from the pros/cons of centrifugal vs. positive displacement vs. turbo but a decent kit for the price. You'll need an engine management system.

With that said, most people go with a CT Engineering (i.e. Comptech, CTSC) supercharger and a smaller population goes with turbo kit from a handful of vendors. Newbs are initially attracted to the Basch unit because it's cheap.

Last edited:
when Mark introduced these they promised a turbo like power band....there were fewer FI options back then..his biggest issues were fueling related... tied to his split second box which many of the original owners will be chuckling about....Most recently I think Blodi had a pretty solid working unit....pm him.

Not sure if the info below is correct, but I would be cautious on getting a Basch SC'd NSX.

http://botchedboost.com/info/intro/
Arggh, another link to MJ's bile and vitriol against MB...
The major issue with the BBSC was the original SS box. Well, if you consider grenading motors a major issue.
I had a BBSC for about 20K and it made nice power, it's a good bang for the buck.
The BBSC is pretty stable on the AEM FIC and for short blasts.
Where I would be cautious is tracking where you would be in boost for long periods. On my car the vacuum hose came off the FIC that helps pull timing- and you don't get a warning or CEL for that. When I was going from S/C to turbo a low cylinder was discovered. Probably because of the vacuum hose. Dictating a full rebuild.
Blodi says that he was running excessive boost and I'd guess that he couldn't pull enough timing either since his rebuild experience eerily mirrors mine.
Just go from N/A to turbo. You'll get tired of 400HP soon.

when Mark introduced these they promised a turbo like power band....there were fewer FI options back then..his biggest issues were fueling related... tied to his split second box which many of the original owners will be chuckling about....Most recently I think Blodi had a pretty solid working unit....pm him.

+1 on blodi's setup... it ran like a beast!

Back then, the kit was one of very few options. Nowadays you can choose between more systems with better Reputation and reliability.

To dissect these posts for the newb, the Basch system is a well-designed supercharger and was one of the first FI options for the NSX. It got a really bad reuptation in the early 2000's after several owners destroyed their engines due to bad tuning connected with the "Split Second" engine mangement system. Since then, Basch owners have replaced the Split Second with much better engine management systems like AEM and HKS Fcon. With good tuning, this supercharger works well and is reliable. There are some things to watch for like the bearing and the vacuum hoses. Unlike the Comptech product, the Basch does not have low-end torque. It feels and pulls more like a small turbo, meaning boost only comes on once you get it spinning up.

For the most part, good/accurate info so far on this thread. I had mine for 2 years and about 6K miles. I ended up cracking two ringlands on one cylinder the end of last year. This was due to me running 9.8psi on a stock engine with no intercooler setup other than a water/meth injection setup. I knew better from my research and was planning on an intercooler setup, but time ran out before I got to it. I was running an AEM EMS. It was a very solid setup and man it was fun. I'd honestly still have it, but the timing was right as my car was all apart and a deal came around that I couldn't pass up on a turbo setup. Upgrading the bearings and couplers is certainly a very good idea. There is a ton of good (some old) info on here. Bang for the buck, it truly is hard to beat.

Here is my BBSC build thread documenting my experience.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/157626-Blodi-s-BBSC-Install

Back