Barret-Jackson auction (NSX comment made)

I was watching the Barret-Jackson auto auction on Speed tonight and the announcers started taking about Japanese cars and when they may start showing up? One chuckled stating in the year 3000. Another said there were a couple original 240Zs that came by the auction years ago but added that the current Japanese cars aren't classics yet (understandable) and that "cars like the NSX have no enthusiasm, no following" as the cars on the auction block do. What?!

We may be a small group but we DO have great enthusiasm for our cars and we DO have a following for our cars, even though it's not on a level as the cars on their auction block.

hey, since ur in the future, could u bring me back a Sports Almanac...thanx...
wink.gif

I was at the auction all day Friday -- there was one NSX for sale, the black and white, heavily modified RM Racing NSX. It was the only car of about 600 that was worth looking at in my opinion (with the exception of the occasional 427 Cobra and a couple of GT40s). On the other hand, the RM auction at the Biltmore was a lot more enjoyable. My buddy bought a couple of cars, including a vintage Porsche Speedster.

I love Speed Channel, especially since they started showing JGTC, but sometimes they really get it wrong. I did get to see Bob Varsha at the auction, though. I should have pulled him aside and given him the inside scoop on the NSX.

It is just that American Muscle and Classics are perticularily hot right now. Read cheaper to restore on most cases. The show has taken on a very different scene from past years. It used to have a variety of cars flowing through. Now a vast majority is the older american muscle. Notice that brock yates was added to the list of commentators. He was the most knowledgable of them all when it came to the cars that were coming across the block. The rest are simply used to euro cars and british cars. Alan Decadnet was reduced to talking about hot rods and non matching number cars that are on the block. This guy has driven almost everything.
He is major, and there wasn't anything there to talk about. That event in the past brought out every brand. The comment on the Japanese cars is far from the truth in the case of limited productions. NSX (Zanardi) Toyota, Honda, Nissan have all had significant cars to flow through in the past. This is just a down market. To see Reggie Jackson selling so many of his cars was quite interesting. The seats were empty in comparison to past auctions. When the economy recovers and people can afford to sell the auction will be more diverse. IMHO
If I were going to time capsule a car from Japan it would be a unmolested Zanardi, TypeR
if I could get it. Honda's 1600. Datsun's 240z & 1500. Toyota 2000GT (I know)& 85 MR2.
So it was a matter of them not knowing what to say that led to the less than endorsing comment.
Hold em if you got em.
Len
n9s5x-t

I have doubts that modern cars are going to be collectable like the cars that bring big money at special interest auctions today. In 50, 60, 70 years where are you going to get the electronics to restore or maintain these cars?

As the generation that had a direct connection to the American cars of the 50's and 60's passes on, I've got to wonder how well they're going to do on the old auction block.

Think about the average 20 year old kid today... Let's say 30 years from now the kid has grown into a tycoon. Do these guys actually think that a kid born in 1983 is going to have any interest at all in a 57 Chevy in the year 2033? These auction guys are living in their own little vacuum, but it doesn't matter all that much because they won't be around to see the decline in interest in these old American cars.

Originally posted by spookyp:
...Think about the average 20 year old kid today... Let's say 30 years from now the kid has grown into a tycoon. Do these guys actually think that a kid born in 1983 is going to have any interest at all in a 57 Chevy in the year 2033?...

You are 100% correct. These kids today, in 20-30 years, will be buying Civic's with fart cans on them for big bucks because it was the car they first owned and were able to mod themself. Exactly like the 20yr olds from the 50's & 60's who like to collect Mopars and Chevys today.

Maybe I should buy a nice Civic Si and put in storage for 20 years. :P

I watched the auction as well and I could not believe when they said the nsx has no soul. Honda built the car to celebrate F1 winning. F1 and Cart (or whater ever cart was in the late 80s) drivers took part in the cars fine tunning, to me this is soul and I would bet in 20 years when the kids who look at the nsx with open mouths now will be paying top dollar for this super car. Just my 2cents

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
You are 100% correct. These kids today, in 20-30 years, will be buying Civic's with fart cans on them for big bucks because it was the car they first owned and were able to mod themself. Exactly like the 20yr olds from the 50's & 60's who like to collect Mopars and Chevys today.

Maybe I should buy a nice Civic Si and put in storage for 20 years. :P

Not, quite, as one of the 'kids', I love classic cars, and if i could, i would def. get a nice chevy...assuming I already had a e type, gullwing, 64 caddi convertible (oh soo sweet), couple bmws, and a couple f-cars in the garage....which doesnt look likely, but you never know!

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

Originally posted by stevefromatl:
Do you know how much the RM Racing NSX went for?

Speaking of rare & exotic NSX's (well, that's my excuse for staying on-topic!)
pain.gif

Steve from Atlanta -
What color is your car - you should post some pics on the picture gallery. I am assuming Midnight Pearl? Hard to tell exactly from the avatar - don't think we've seen one that color with the WW kit.
From what I see in the avatar, looks very nice.

To help put this in perspective, I just saw Don Johnson's yellow "Hemi" 'Cuda (more like a 318 or a 340 with a shaker hood scoop) from the 'Nash Bridges' TV show sell for $137,500 on the B-J auction!! The well heeled schmuck who bought the car could have got the same thing for $30-40,000 in the real world but without the 'added value' of Don Johnson's butt having sat in the driver's seat.

The bidders may be well heeled, but they are buying with emotion not thought. And everyone (in this forum anyway) knows that the NSX is the ultimate 'Thinking Man's Car'. And THAT is why the NSX does not sell for a lot at the B-J auction.

[This message has been edited by NSX Maven (edited 18 January 2003).]

Originally posted by len3.8:

....If I were going to time capsule a car from Japan it would be a unmolested Zanardi......

When you said unmolested, what do you mean exactly? I assume you mean the car's left BONE STOCK with low mileage on the odo?

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 18 January 2003).]

Originally posted by stevefromatl:
Do you know how much the RM Racing NSX went for?

It hasn't gone up for sale yet (As of 3 hours ago). It did have a "No Reserve" sticker on it.
I remember them trying to sell it in the DuPont Registry a long time ago for 80K.
I'm curious to see what it goes for too.

Originally posted by Vytas:
I was watching the Barret-Jackson auto auction on Speed tonight and the announcers started taking about Japanese cars and when they may start showing up? ....
When was the NSX comment mentioned? Friday or Saturday's session?

Originally posted by Zanardi 50:
When was the NSX comment mentioned? Friday or Saturday's session?

Since it was posted at 04:04 on Sat 18th, (which is actually 01:04 am on the left coast where Vyatas is) I expect it was Friday evening session he was referring to.

I watched about ten minutes - that's about all I could stomache. I could not believe how poor the coverage was. They had a guy on the floor who I respect, but had no real knowledge of the core types of car offered - muscle cars and hot rods. Poor Alan seemed to be at a complete loss as to what to say. Of the two guys doing commentary, one was such an idiot, he did not know the difference between solid and hydraulic lifters - yet there he was rambling on inainly about vintage muscle. Very disappointing.

When you said unmolested, what do you mean exactly? I assume you mean the car's left BONE STOCK with low mileage on the odo?

Yes, stock. Miles have to be low.

Originally posted by NSX Maven:
To help put this in perspective, I just saw Don Johnson's yellow "Hemi" 'Cuda (more like a 318 or a 340 with a shaker hood scoop) from the 'Nash Bridges' TV show sell for $137,500 on the B-J auction!! The well heeled schmuck who bought the car could have got the same thing for $30-40,000 in the real world but without the 'added value' of Don Johnson's butt having sat in the driver's seat.

The bidders may be well heeled, but they are buying with emotion not thought. And everyone (in this forum anyway) knows that the NSX is the ultimate 'Thinking Man's Car'. And THAT is why the NSX does not sell for a lot at the B-J auction.

Maven, I agree. He was a idot.
If it were the 1 Hemi 426 cuda convertible that was made, then that would have been a screamin deal. It sold for 400k+- a few years ago. Don Johnson promed them and they lost all sense when bidding. He threw away
well over 100k. That's crazy.
Len

I watched a lot of this coverage as well, and caught the NSX comments. What they said was the market for them was flat and they had no racing history to speak of. Well not to defend those shmucks but the market for NSXs is flat, and unless you live in Japan the odds of finding an ex-race NSX for sale are pretty slim.

Other than that, the hosts may be very knowledgable F1, and Euro race people, but good grief were they lost.

The Don Johnson imitation hemi car for $135k just goes to show the economy is doing quite well, and there truly IS a sucker born every minute.

The highlight? Mmmmmm, get me one of those F40s. $330k is actually a good number for the Mark I.

-Ed www.nsxbuilder.com

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
Speaking of rare & exotic NSX's (well, that's my excuse for staying on-topic!)
pain.gif

Steve from Atlanta -
What color is your car - you should post some pics on the picture gallery. I am assuming Midnight Pearl? Hard to tell exactly from the avatar - don't think we've seen one that color with the WW kit.
From what I see in the avatar, looks very nice.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry to disappoint you, but it's black.

Originally posted by len3.8:
Yes, stock. Miles have to be low.
I guess my Zanardi 50 qualifies as of today.
Decisions, decisions.......
smile.gif

How many miles are on your car #50?

------------------
Mason
Tire Rack sales...contact me for all your wheel and tire needs.
1-800-428-8355
Ext. 619

1991 Acura NSX (auto)

I have often considered buying a Zanardi Edition NSX just because of it's rarity, eventhough I am not very jazzed about color red. I think in the next year or so I may start looking for one ofthose or maybe a 97+ model year coupe.

------------------
Mason
Tire Rack sales...contact me for all your wheel and tire needs.
1-800-428-8355
Ext. 619

1991 Acura NSX (auto)

[This message has been edited by mason@tirerack (edited 20 January 2003).]

Back