Bang for the buck mod? Newbie ;)

NEW to NSX ownership
wink.gif

I dont' know a WHOLE lot about them- forgive me.

i found out that good mods might be a little pricey so i wanna be smart if i mod it...

Whats the best performance gains for the money?

I'm always big on nice sounding/looking exhausts and whistling intakes
smile.gif

just need some advice on power gains and prices...

is there anything that is a MUST DO (besides replace the stock 15/16 inch rims)
smile.gif

thanks!

Aj-

------------------
www.Dashkits.net

93 Supra TT
95 Supra NA
93 RX7 TT
91 NSX

I honestly do not believe that you will see a noticable difference with air flow bolt ons. I have an RM Exhaust, Comptech Test Pipes, and custom carbon fiber cold air intake, and to me, its just louder. I'm sure on a dyno it may be a measurable change, but not from the drivers standpoint. If you intend to increase performance noticably, you'll have to check out the forced induction options, which are pricey compared to bolt on mods. Nonetheless, welcome to the community.
smile.gif

------------------
1992 NSX

Bang for the Buck?

No question....it has to be NOS.

Of course, it's the kind of thing that you might not like to do.

Other than NOS, I suppose for a 91 (or any pre-97) NSX it would be headers.

Other than these two things it's supercharging....BBSC being the most affordable.

I also personally would recommend the short gear/R&P update. Particularly if you plan to drive your NSX mainly on the street. BIG driveability improvement, with the short gears.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Well, let's look at dollars per horsepower. Cost figures below include labor.

NOS: Cost $1000, horsepower +70, $14 per hp

Basch Supercharger: Cost $6500 plus labor = $7500, +100 hp, $75 per hp

Comptech Supercharger: Cost $8500 plus labor = $9500, +70 hp, $136 per hp

Gruppe M Supercharger: Cost $8500 plus labor = $9500, +80 hp, $119 per hp

Exhaust and headers: Cost $2500, horsepower +15, $167 per hp.

Short gears and 4.55 R&P: Cost $2380 parts plus $0-900 labor (depending on whether you're having other transmission work like the clutch done at the same time anyway), horsepower doesn't change but acceleration times improve by almost exactly the same as adding +15 hp, $159-219 per "hp".

None of these is a "must do". It's just fine stock - especially with the stock tires. I suggest you live with yours for a while, in order to decide what you like about it and what (if anything) you would like to change.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 November 2002).]

Nitrous is hands down the best bang for the buck but only when you are spraying. You also have the ongoing cost of bottle refills.

You can do a nice nitrous setup with a 70hp dry shot for maybe $600 or less if you buy the parts and install it yourself.

The CTSC can be purchased for under $8000 through resellers who are willing to discount. Even direct from Comptech you can easily get it for $8000 if you join the NSXCA for $40 and get your 10% discount (ok, that comes to $8050, close enough).

If you know someone who is good with turbos, you can also install a turbo setup. Price varies widely depending how you decide to do it.

But the nitrous and forced induction options are all very different in ways far beyond the cost per hp, so trying to evaluate them purely on $/hp really doesn't make too much sense. I really think that's the wrong way to go about it.

I would suggest this instead: Decide what kind of car do you want to end up with, define your budget, and figure out the best way to get there.

You may come up with a multi-stage plan where you do some mods now that will work well with other mods you plan to add later. You get the idea.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 26 November 2002).]

I agree with Lud that it's better to come up with a plan for your car, including one that allows you to get there by increments.

However, I think that looking at dollars per hp added is useful information to help in coming up with that plan.

In particular, it shows that a lower-cost mod like headers/exhaust may not be worth it once you look at it on a bang-for-the-buck basis rather than solely its cost.

Originally posted by DashKits.net:
thanks so far.

MAn the exhausts and headers are expensive
wink.gif

it might be just fine stock...

i'll keep it that way for a while
smile.gif

thanks again

Maybe you should sell one of those Supras so you have some cash for goodies for the NSX
wink.gif

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Brutal honesty
smile.gif
i love it
wink.gif

Yeah the RX7 is going bye bye in 3 weeks - just waiting on shipping it.

thats how the NSX money was freed up.

Gotta keep the TT Supra (its my baby)
smile.gif

maybe ill stay stock for a while.
i dont want to race it anyway- just want it to look and sound good
smile.gif

------------------
www.Dashkits.net

93 Supra TT
95 Supra NA
93 RX7 TT
91 NSX

You don't have to worry about the looking good and part of it. It is a little too quiet though. I kept mine stock for almost a year then dropped about $10k into it.
Couldn't be happier with it.
smile.gif

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Back